Jump to content
DocJJ

Not to be whiny, but can we just cut Richie Martin loose already?

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

It took me a little while to get the hang of it, but lately with the hazy IPA craze, they've catered to idea that people don't like bitter-- just like yourself. Really well made IPAs with cheater hops can be pleasing to even the most skeptical non-IPA drinker. 

The older you are the easier it is to drink bitter-- years wear and tear will dull the palate!

I can drink an IPA, but brewers have gone way overboard.  You'll go to a craft brewery and they'll have eight beers, a light beer, a couple of fruity things, a porter or a stout, and four or five IPAs.  It's like they've forgotten that there are a hundred other kinds of beer out there, and not everyone is out to have an IBU contest. It's like hot sauces 10 or 15 years ago, let's make them so hot that it's inedible, and let's put ghost peppers on everything from eggs to pizza.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I can drink an IPA, but brewers have gone way overboard.  You'll go to a craft brewery and they'll have eight beers, a light beer, a couple of fruity things, a porter or a stout, and five IPAs.  It's like they've forgotten that there are a hundred other kinds of beer out there, and not everyone is out to have an IBU contest. It's like hot sauces 10 or 15 years ago, let's make them so hot that it's inedible, and let's put ghost peppers on everything from eggs to pizza.

No argument there. IPAs are a money maker. Everyone's got five, and a lot of breweries aren't that good at making them. So many brand new breweries in the area are really just home brewers who dunked their 401K into a professional venture so they don't have to push paper for the rest of their lives. People with no concept of how to brew on a large scale. 

Was in Black Flag last weekend. Usually pretty good beers, they had two on tap that were undrinkable-- a soapy tasting IPA and a porter that tasted like boozy maple syrup with Splenda. Was in Full Tilt in Towson last month-- an entire menu of average-to-bad beers. BC Brewing in Hunt Valley-- 24 taps of barely interesting beer. Tall Tales in Ocean City with some obscenely bitter hazy IPAs. 

I've been to 32 breweries in Maryland. I've seen it all. My recommendation is that the flagship beers are always great. Loose Cannon is quality no-frills IPA that won't blow up your skirt but always delivers. Dogfish Head 60 minute-- best IPA on the east coast. Diamondback Green Machine is the best hazy IPA in the Baltimore area. RAR and Burley Oak rarely make bad beer. 

Oh, and Richie Martin will follow Joey Rickard's career. Give the Orioles two or three frustrating years of up and down performance riding a shuttle to Norfolk.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

No argument there. IPAs are a money maker. Everyone's got five, and a lot of breweries aren't that good at making them. So many brand new breweries in the area are really just home brewers who dunked their 401K into a professional venture so they don't have to push paper for the rest of their lives. People with no concept of how to brew on a large scale. 

Was in Black Flag last weekend. Usually pretty good beers, they had two on tap that were undrinkable-- a soapy tasting IPA and a porter that tasted like boozy maple syrup with Splenda. Was in Full Tilt in Towson last month-- an entire menu of average-to-bad beers. BC Brewing in Hunt Valley-- 24 taps of barely interesting beer. Tall Tales in Ocean City with some obscenely bitter hazy IPAs. 

I've been to 32 breweries in Maryland. I've seen it all. My recommendation is that the flagship beers are always great. Loose Cannon is quality no-frills IPA that won't blow up your skirt but always delivers. Dogfish Head 60 minute-- best IPA on the east coast. Diamondback Green Machine is the best hazy IPA in the Baltimore area. RAR and Burley Oak rarely make bad beer. 

Oh, and Richie Martin will follow Joey Rickard's career. Give the Orioles two or three frustrating years of up and down performance riding a shuttle to Norfolk.

 

I'm going to be in Germany and Austria for a few weeks, and that's my beer wheelhouse.  Talk about breweries that don't make anything bad... I've never had a bad Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten/Franziskaner, Hofbräu, Augustiner, or Löwenbräu (at least over there - the US imports don't always survive the journey).  Plus I love, love, love Ayinger, and Andechts monastery is top-notch.  I'll take a malty Dunkle or a traditional Weißbier over an IPA every day of the week.

Ayinger makes a Kellerbier which is an unfiltered, hoppier Weißbier that is excellent, but they're not out to see how many hops they can squeeze in the vat.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm going to be in Germany and Austria for a few weeks, and that's my beer wheelhouse.  Talk about breweries that don't make anything bad... I've never had a bad Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten/Franziskaner, Hofbräu, Augustiner, or Löwenbräu (at least over there - the US imports don't always survive the journey).  Plus I love, love, love Ayinger, and Andechts monastery is top-notch.  I'll take a malty Dunkle or a traditional Weißbier over an IPA every day of the week.

Ayinger makes a Kellerbier which is an unfiltered, hoppier Weißbier that is excellent, but they're not out to see how many hops they can squeeze in the vat.

Germany (and Europe in general) have a different beer culture. Americans want the next best thing all the time. If it's not new it's not interesting. Europeans have not embraced "craft beer" the same way. German breweries have been making the same beers the same way for centuries. It's not better or worse, it's apples to oranges. Limited ingredients and consistent brewing practices over long stretches of time will yield the same great beer all the time; and they love it that way. A lot of people do. American brewing culture just doesn't have that luxury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 9:47 AM, Enjoy Terror said:

No argument there. IPAs are a money maker. Everyone's got five, and a lot of breweries aren't that good at making them. So many brand new breweries in the area are really just home brewers who dunked their 401K into a professional venture so they don't have to push paper for the rest of their lives. People with no concept of how to brew on a large scale. 

Was in Black Flag last weekend. Usually pretty good beers, they had two on tap that were undrinkable-- a soapy tasting IPA and a porter that tasted like boozy maple syrup with Splenda. Was in Full Tilt in Towson last month-- an entire menu of average-to-bad beers. BC Brewing in Hunt Valley-- 24 taps of barely interesting beer. Tall Tales in Ocean City with some obscenely bitter hazy IPAs. 

I've been to 32 breweries in Maryland. I've seen it all. My recommendation is that the flagship beers are always great. Loose Cannon is quality no-frills IPA that won't blow up your skirt but always delivers. Dogfish Head 60 minute-- best IPA on the east coast. Diamondback Green Machine is the best hazy IPA in the Baltimore area. RAR and Burley Oak rarely make bad beer. 

Oh, and Richie Martin will follow Joey Rickard's career. Give the Orioles two or three frustrating years of up and down performance riding a shuttle to Norfolk.

 

I got a six pack of Dogfish Head Sea Quench Ale Session Sour ($10+) and boy was I underwhelmed.  Lime juice, lime peel, black limes and sea salt were sour for sure and no beer taste that my aging taste buds could discover.  I'll have to give the rest to my "young friends" in their thirties.  What is this 60 minute DH of which you speak?

btw - agree with Drungo on the Euro beers in Austria and Germany.  Any small town has a brewery and they are all suitable to my taste.  The bottled versions do not compare.

Ricky is playing tonight with Jace on the pine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let us remember how bad Santandar was in his Rule V year.  I love Richie's glove, especially after having to watch Tim Beckham and Manny Machado play it the past 2 seasons.  I really think he needs to bunt at least once a game, especially if there are runners on base and less than 2 outs; that, and study pitchers so he can lear to work counts.  I think he can be a solid place holder for the next 2 seasons if he can learn to bat well enough to get a .300+ OBP.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Let us remember how bad Santandar was in his Rule V year.  I love Richie's glove, especially after having to watch Tim Beckham and Manny Machado play it the past 2 seasons.  I really think he needs to bunt at least once a game, especially if there are runners on base and less than 2 outs; that, and study pitchers so he can lear to work counts.  I think he can be a solid place holder for the next 2 seasons if he can learn to bat well enough to get a .300+ OBP.

What brewery makes Santander?

Infielder's glove on bad hops?--What a great idea!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 11:05 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm going to be in Germany and Austria for a few weeks, and that's my beer wheelhouse.  Talk about breweries that don't make anything bad... I've never had a bad Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten/Franziskaner, Hofbräu, Augustiner, or Löwenbräu (at least over there - the US imports don't always survive the journey).  Plus I love, love, love Ayinger, and Andechts monastery is top-notch.  I'll take a malty Dunkle or a traditional Weißbier over an IPA every day of the week.

Ayinger makes a Kellerbier which is an unfiltered, hoppier Weißbier that is excellent, but they're not out to see how many hops they can squeeze in the vat.

What, no love for the Erdingers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bobmc said:

btw - agree with Drungo on the Euro beers in Austria and Germany.  Any small town has a brewery and they are all suitable to my taste.  The bottled versions do not compare.

You can't beat going to a German beer hall and seeing them tap the wooden keg with a mallet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LA2 said:

What, no love for the Erdingers?

Nothing wrong with Erdinger at all.  But when you've been to brunch at the Ayinger Braueri and they pour the Zwickelbier straight out of the fermentation vat into your mug... that's going to be top of the heap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LA2 said:

What brewery makes Santander?

Infielder's glove on bad hops?--What a great idea!

Some baseball player has to replace some of the padding in their glove with some good hops.  For the good hops. That's one superstition I could get behind.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nothing wrong with Erdinger at all.  But when you've been to brunch at the Ayinger Braueri and they pour the Zwickelbier straight out of the fermentation vat into your mug... that's going to be top of the heap.

OK, that's going on the list for my upcoming trip (if it happens)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin's July totals: 

.233 AVG, .283 OBP, .302 SLG, .585 OPS

I mean. It's not ideal, but it's improving. Can I see .250, 300 OBP, and 650 OPS next year?  If I put on my Kool-aid glasses, yes. 

                             
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...