MurphDogg

Rule 5 eligible players

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Is that an indictment of Hunter, or the sad state of the farm system at the time?

Feel free to draw your own conclusions. :D

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

He doesn’t need Norfolk.

He should be in the Orioles rotation to start 2020.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I want him to use the major league balls in AAA.

My opinions on this are well known.   I’d almost never have a player skip AAA entirely, and I certainly wouldn’t do it with a finesse pitcher.    I’d like Wells to get comfortable with the major league ball in AAA and demonstrate that he has the same kind of command that he had at lower levels before getting promoted to the majors.    

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My opinions on this are well known.   I’d almost never have a player skip AAA entirely, and I certainly wouldn’t do it with a finesse pitcher.    I’d like Wells to get comfortable with the major league ball in AAA and demonstrate that he has the same kind of command that he had at lower levels before getting promoted to the majors.    

I’d rather do it with a finesse pitcher than a pure “stuff” guy.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

I disagree.

I do agree that I wouldn't do it with any starter now that AAA is using ML balls.

There is no need to rush Wells to the majors. Unlike Duquette, Elias has also shown no interest at all of players jumping AAA so far and has really slowed promoted guys overall.

I'm fine with him getting a full year at AA and then starting next year in Norfolk but if Elias wanted him to get some AAA starts under his belt before the year is out it's fine as well.

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Why?    I think the change in the ball between AA and the majors is probably a more significant factor for a finesse pitcher who needs to hit his spots with several different pitches in order to succeed.     

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why?    I think the change in the ball between AA and the majors is probably a more significant factor for a finesse pitcher who needs to hit his spots with several different pitches in order to succeed.     

Because they know how to pitch and aren’t getting by just overpowering minor league hitters with their stuff.

Because they know how to pitch and aren’t getting by just overpowering minor league hitters with their stuff.

And all of a sudden their pitches don't break the same because the seams are different.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

And all of a sudden their pitches don't break the same because the seams are different.

Is your position based just on the ball, and not level of competition?

Is your position based just on the ball, and not level of competition?

The ball mostly.  Of course I also favor stuff over finesse as a general rule.

Murph, thanks for this. If I had remembered this post, I would have just bumped this one instead of starting a whole new post.

oh well.

At least Broxton is gone.

29 minutes ago, weams said:

Curious to hear what @Luke-OH thinks of Zack Brown. He doesn't have a typical Rule 5 profile as he doesn't have much upside, but it seems like he could be a potential plug and play as a back of the rotation starter. Definitely seems like a low risk player that someone should take a long look at during Spring Training and see if he can crack the rotation or be a long man.

As an aside, I am patting myself on the back for getting all of our adds right in my original post in July (minus Diaz, who we didn't find out didn't need to be added until September/October).

• Upvote 1

As much as I love continuity, can we get a new thread for this year? Link to last years in the first post? I'd do it myself but then we'd have two posts and don't want it to be confusing. 

Until then....

On a quick scan of the names Luke listed, Josh Palacios looks interesting if he can stick in CF. Considering how much we've discussed Yusniel Diaz's numbers needing to be viewed through the lens of a super pitcher friendly Eastern League, I'd say Palacios' .266/.371/.787 is pretty impressive, especially if he can competently play CF. A guy who can play all 3 OF positions, take a walk, and steal a base seems like the kind of guy you could stash on the bench for a season. He may not have a ton of upside. 

I believe this will be the Rule 5 class of 2020, in case you're insane like me and thinking about that.

Michael Baumann (AA)  #7 prospect
Zac Lowther (AA) #8 prospect
Brenan Hanifee (A+) #15 prospect
Bruce Zimmermann (AAA) #20 prospect
Rylan Bannon (AAA) #21 prospect
Zach Pop (AA) #23 prospect
Leonardo Rodriguez (A-) #24 prospect

Mason McCoy (AA)
T.J. Nichting (AA)
Willy Yahn (AA)
Ben Breazeale (A+)
Zach Jarrett (A+)