Jump to content
MurphDogg

Rule 5 eligible players

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Adding info on Robson:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 30 | Run: 65 | Arm: 45 | Field: 50 | Overall: 40

The Tigers made Robson their eighth-round pick in the 2016 Draft after an injury-plagued career at Mississippi State that included a broken hand as a redshirt junior. Pegged by the organization as a breakout candidate ahead of his first full season, Robson did just that by reaching the Florida State League and finishing third in the system in batting average (.305) and fifth in stolen bases (21). The Ontario native then built upon the performance in 2018, hitting both for average and even some power as he climbed from Double-A to Triple-A.

Robson's best tool is his speed and it allows him to be a basestealing threat as well as a defensive asset in the outfield. He has played all three spots thus far, with his best chance to be a regular coming in center or left, where his fringy arm would be acceptable. He has shown a solid approach at the plate and a willingness to draw walks, and he added some power to his game in 2018 with career-high totals in home runs (11) and doubles (29), albeit at the cost of more strikeouts (140). The Tigers continue to stress bunting as a tool to help him let his legs do the talking.

Robson profiles best as a fourth outfielder or bench presence, one whose speed can do a lot of things. If he can continue to refine his approach and get on base, he could be a table-setting type at the highest level.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jacob-robson-615699?stats=career-r-hitting-milb

It looks like Robson may have more to offer on the offensive side of the game than first expected, though. Here’s what Emily Waldon of The Athletic had to say in her preseason Tigers Top 30 Prospects list:

With his defensive instincts already common knowledge, the more refreshing aspect to Robson’s season was his deceptive push of raw power. At 5-foot-10, you wouldn’t predict that, but his natural eye at the plate complemented the added power on contact.

As the numbers referenced earlier would indicate, Robson utilized a newfound power stroke in 2018. If this new facet of his game is for real, that would obviously boost his value immensely. There will always be a place in the game for players with both power and speed. Even if he only makes minimal contact, that combination of attributes makes for a decent bench piece.

a look at his batting average on balls in play would indicate that, to a certain extent, Robson was getting lucky in 2018. An normal batting average on balls in play would hover around .300. Speedsters generally are able to pad that number thanks to their ability to beat out throws. Robson’s figures, though, were very high. He put up rates of .382 and .406 in 2018. Frankly, those are inflated and unsustainable. As they normalize, the rest of his stats will obviously suffer. To what extent, though, will determine his role.

Finally, while his speed makes him an asset on defense, his arm limits his defensive flexibility to center and left. It’s far from a death knell as a prospect, and he doesn’t profile well in right field offensively anyway, but it does limit his versatility.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2019/1/25/17048116/detroit-tigers-scouting-report-jake-robson-farm-system

Isn’t another fourth OF the last thing we need?

how about a first third baseman/2nd baseman/SS?

Having said that, if this guy is better than what we have, sure why not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doccat said:

Didn't see this guy posted anywhere?

 

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=670351#/career/R/hitting/2019/MINORS

 

Any thoughts?

 

He certainly posted big numbers and I'm not fluent in comparing leagues but it's obvious that the PCL is a huge hitters league. 

I don't know anything about this guy other than the numbers. But yesterday Luke said this, which would cause me to question a few things:

"Remember that .900 OPS in the PCL is equivalent to .740 in the Eastern League due to hitting environment. It's still good, but not crazy." 

Rojas had an OPS of .938 with 31 home runs. Taylor Ward, another third baseman on the same team had arguably better numbers. 

Thanks for the post and it's an interesting name to take a look at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

He certainly posted big numbers and I'm not fluent in comparing leagues but it's obvious that the PCL is a huge hitters league. 

I don't know anything about this guy other than the numbers. But yesterday Luke said this, which would cause me to question a few things:

"Remember that .900 OPS in the PCL is equivalent to .740 in the Eastern League due to hitting environment. It's still good, but not crazy." 

Rojas had an OPS of .938 with 31 home runs. Taylor Ward, another third baseman on the same team had arguably better numbers. 

Thanks for the post and it's an interesting name to take a look at. 

Rojas had a .935 OPS in the Southern League in 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a guy, Ljay Newsome.

He’s kind of like a RH version of Lowther. Whippy arm action, 89-93, solid command, none of the secondaries are as good as Lowther’s curveball but there is a workable 4 pitch mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, POR said:

Rojas had a .935 OPS in the Southern League in 2018.

He’s hit at every level, he’s also been 2 years older than most prospects at each level. I think he’ll hit some in the majors. I just don’t know if he plays passable defense at 3B or 2B. There are better bats out there IMO if you want a 1B/DH type.  Huge power types like Ramos,  Gittens, etc. or bat control/approach types like Nogowski or Filia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rojas also played at one of the more hitter friendly stadiums in both the PCL and the Southern League, so you should probably discount his stats a little bit further from their league-wide level. Although his numbers were still good at both levels, they were markedly better at home than on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Here’s a guy, Ljay Newsome.

He’s kind of like a RH version of Lowther. Whippy arm action, 89-93, solid command, none of the secondaries are as good as Lowther’s curveball but there is a workable 4 pitch mix.

And a Maryland guy born in LaPlata, not that that's a big factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

And a Maryland guy born in LaPlata, not that that's a big factor. 

He strikes me as a guy the DD regime would pick, but not someone Elias would pick. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 10:52 PM, Luke-OH said:

Here’s a guy, Ljay Newsome.

He’s kind of like a RH version of Lowther. Whippy arm action, 89-93, solid command, none of the secondaries are as good as Lowther’s curveball but there is a workable 4 pitch mix.

I would love to see Ljay come home!  My son played with and against him growing up.  High quality kid who throws strikes.  Very coachable and will out perform expectations in my less than knowledgeable opinion.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Cavspider said:

I would love to see Ljay come home!  My son played with and against him growing up.  High quality kid who throws strikes.  Very coachable and will out perform expectations in my less than knowledgeable opinion.  

 

He doesn't walk guys.   That's a huge plus.    Very good walk/9 IP numbers.   And averages a K/inning.   

Having only watched a little video, I still want Rojas.   Especially if we lose Villar....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 12:09 PM, 7Mo said:

Adding info on Robson:

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 30 | Run: 65 | Arm: 45 | Field: 50 | Overall: 40

The Tigers made Robson their eighth-round pick in the 2016 Draft after an injury-plagued career at Mississippi State that included a broken hand as a redshirt junior. Pegged by the organization as a breakout candidate ahead of his first full season, Robson did just that by reaching the Florida State League and finishing third in the system in batting average (.305) and fifth in stolen bases (21). The Ontario native then built upon the performance in 2018, hitting both for average and even some power as he climbed from Double-A to Triple-A.

Robson's best tool is his speed and it allows him to be a basestealing threat as well as a defensive asset in the outfield. He has played all three spots thus far, with his best chance to be a regular coming in center or left, where his fringy arm would be acceptable. He has shown a solid approach at the plate and a willingness to draw walks, and he added some power to his game in 2018 with career-high totals in home runs (11) and doubles (29), albeit at the cost of more strikeouts (140). The Tigers continue to stress bunting as a tool to help him let his legs do the talking.

Robson profiles best as a fourth outfielder or bench presence, one whose speed can do a lot of things. If he can continue to refine his approach and get on base, he could be a table-setting type at the highest level.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jacob-robson-615699?stats=career-r-hitting-milb

It looks like Robson may have more to offer on the offensive side of the game than first expected, though. Here’s what Emily Waldon of The Athletic had to say in her preseason Tigers Top 30 Prospects list:

With his defensive instincts already common knowledge, the more refreshing aspect to Robson’s season was his deceptive push of raw power. At 5-foot-10, you wouldn’t predict that, but his natural eye at the plate complemented the added power on contact.

As the numbers referenced earlier would indicate, Robson utilized a newfound power stroke in 2018. If this new facet of his game is for real, that would obviously boost his value immensely. There will always be a place in the game for players with both power and speed. Even if he only makes minimal contact, that combination of attributes makes for a decent bench piece.

a look at his batting average on balls in play would indicate that, to a certain extent, Robson was getting lucky in 2018. An normal batting average on balls in play would hover around .300. Speedsters generally are able to pad that number thanks to their ability to beat out throws. Robson’s figures, though, were very high. He put up rates of .382 and .406 in 2018. Frankly, those are inflated and unsustainable. As they normalize, the rest of his stats will obviously suffer. To what extent, though, will determine his role.

Finally, while his speed makes him an asset on defense, his arm limits his defensive flexibility to center and left. It’s far from a death knell as a prospect, and he doesn’t profile well in right field offensively anyway, but it does limit his versatility.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2019/1/25/17048116/detroit-tigers-scouting-report-jake-robson-farm-system

 

I appreciate your effort on this piece. The last two years he's hit around 10 bombs in 200-250 ABs. I'd be okay with this selection as we need surplus talent at any position.

I'd prefer guys who have a better chance to stick over long shots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

 

I appreciate your effort on this piece. The last two years he's hit around 10 bombs in 200-250 ABs. I'd be okay with this selection as we need surplus talent at any position.

I'd prefer guys who have a better chance to stick over long shots.

He's no where close to the top of the list IMO but I thought adding information wouldn't hurt the discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 10:52 PM, Luke-OH said:

Here’s a guy, Ljay Newsome.

He’s kind of like a RH version of Lowther. Whippy arm action, 89-93, solid command, none of the secondaries are as good as Lowther’s curveball but there is a workable 4 pitch mix.

I read that Newsome led all MiLB pitchers in strike throwing percentage at 73% as well as lowest walk percentage at 2.7% in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I read that Newsome led all MiLB pitchers in strike throwing percentage at 73% as well as lowest walk percentage at 2.7% in 2019.

Of guys throwing 100+ innings, yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Idc about trading away a slot we weren’t going to use. Elias traded “nothing” for something. It’s been Elias’ MO to target NCAA Pitchers around rounds 11-25. We’re not looking for these NCAA guys he’s acquired to be Verlander, but they can be bullpen and back end rotation types.  We have to trust our analytics dept here.      
    • I actually missed these last two dominant outings but after seeing what Roch had to say, went back and watched. Those were indeed impressive. (Zimmerman, not so much).
    • Again, for sure I agree the deal was a plus for that one year. But meh since that may be it. Unless I'm missing sth with Lucas...? Will certainly be happy if he's another Lopez.
    • I am excited to see our prospect list after the 2021 season. I’d bet we have a couple exciting international guys by then.
    • ^this I am going to give whoever wants to listen a perspective on these kids vs American kids.  We all know about travel baseball and what not, going into high school here and then possibly college. In these countries, DR, Cuba, Venezuela etc, kids who have some talent or if they seem somewhat athletic and you see the parents who are a 6’ women and a 6’3” guy, then at 11 or 12 years old, they pretty much ditch school(they kind of go to school) and end up in these baseball type compounds where they learn and are fed right(somewhat). Basically the handlers promise to do whatever it takes to get the kid a payday and in exchange they get a majority of the signing bonus but teach, feed and take care of the kids along the way. Parents reluctantly go with it because it is one less mouth and these guys are salesman like no other and sell the dream even though the family will see little or no money if the kids do end up going to the US. So a 12 year old is now getting the training and structure that maybe a top end high school in the US or a college kid gets. When one of these kids enters the dsl at say 16, he is basically entering as a US kid out of high school. By the time they are 18 or 19, they have had enough coaching to be at a college level kid from the US. The only thing holding these kids back is waiting for there body to catch up with the knowledge. There for a while, and still a little bit now, the handlers don’t want to wait for the kids body’s to grow and fill out, so they tell the kids they need these “vitamin” shots. At 6’3” and 170#(that is a pound sign not hashtag for you kids out there), I doubt these kids got “vitamin” shots.  The purpose of me lining all of that out, these kids at 17-18 are more advanced than what you would get out of high school kids.  Basically we are just waiting for them to fill out a bit and hone their craft more as they do that. A 17-18 year old out of the DR or Cuba, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were ready in the next two or three years if they will ever be good enough to make it to the majors. So when you say 8 years from now, we will see what we have, my case above says we will know in the next two or three years as they fill out a bit and physically mature.    -Source=My time in Cuba, Columbia and Panama, just in case you think I am full of poop with my armchair quarterbacking or making stuff up. The Cuban kids don’t have handlers, the government really just takes the kids over and it is more like the US gymnastic team.  I could go on forever about Cuba. 
    • I think the similarity in their names annoys him j/k. Nine straight scoreless outings should be cheered, not meh'd; that's 1/6 of the elapsed season. 1.50ERA+, 12.6 SO/9, and an increase of SO/W from .83 to 2.0 to 2.5 during 2018-20 is quite an improvement--maybe even more significant than how many of only 5 inherited runners scored.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...