Jump to content
interloper

I still don't understand why we haven't seen Mason Williams

Recommended Posts

Keon is not good and probably would slip right through waivers and accept a AAA assignment. You could effectively swap the guys and see if you have anything at all in Williams. Even with Hays likely coming up soon, it would be nice to have a true 4th outfielder who can play CF and it certainly seems like Williams could be that. 

His career ML .721 OPS actually seems downright useful compared to Broxton's .693. Plus he's shown the ability to get on base a little bit. 

It's not a huge deal, I just think it's kind of curious. Broxton is a complete non-factor out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Keon is not good and probably would slip right through waivers and accept a AAA assignment. You could effectively swap the guys and see if you have anything at all in Williams. Even with Hays likely coming up soon, it would be nice to have a true 4th outfielder who can play CF and it certainly seems like Williams could be that. 

His career ML .721 OPS actually seems downright useful compared to Broxton's .693. Plus he's shown the ability to get on base a little bit. 

It's not a huge deal, I just think it's kind of curious. Broxton is a complete non-factor out there. 

I don't think 28 points of OPS is all that big a gap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think 28 points of OPS is all that big a gap.

It's not, but I mean Keon cannot even make contact with the ball. When he does, sometimes it leaves the yard which is the only reason his career OPS is as high as it is.

This season? .558. That's worse than Chris Davis. When you're worse than Chris Davis, it's time to make a change. Williams is killing it in AAA which is not easy to do, it's time to at least try a guy who can make contact with the ball. 

Not that it matters because the quest is that #1 pick. But he would be more interesting to watch. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, interloper said:

It's not, but I mean Keon cannot even make contact with the ball. When he does, sometimes it leaves the yard which is the only reason his career OPS is as high as it is.

This season? .558. That's worse than Chris Davis. When you're worse than Chris Davis, it's time to make a change. Williams is killing it in AAA which is not easy to do, it's time to at least try a guy who can make contact with the ball. 

Not that it matters because the quest is that #1 pick. But he would be more interesting to watch. 

Hays would be more interesting to watch.

All the various filler guys?  Meh.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've also been advocating for this move for a couple months as well.  At least it would reinforce the point that if you don't make adjustments and cut down on low Baseball IQ plays, you will be moved out.  I'm ready to move on from Broxton.

This would also allow for Mullins to come back up to AAA.  I'd like to see Mullins "find it" again at AAA and get back up here in September for one last shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not chomping at the bit to make this change but I've seen enough of Broxton.  Seems like a good, likable dude and I think he can run like the wind but with him, Martin and Davis in the lineup, that's like 9 automatic outs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Hays would be more interesting to watch.

All the various filler guys?  Meh.

An outfield of Hays, Santander and Stewart would be interesting to watch.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Hays would be more interesting to watch.

All the various filler guys?  Meh.

Yeah obviously we all want to see Hays. In the OP I do argue for both Hays and Williams being on the roster. There will be room once Villar is traded and Wilkerson can take over infield duties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's worse than Chris Davis. When you're worse than Chris Davis, it's time to make a change.

Chris Davis has finally found his new role!  He is the litmus paper test for our Inventory season!

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you will find that Williams range in CF is no  where near what Broxton offers.  Williams has played a corner  OF spot most of the season because Mullins has more range in center.    Broxton probably has more range than Mullins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think you will find that Williams range in CF is no  where near what Broxton offers.  Williams has played a corner  OF spot most of the season because Mullins has more range in center.    Broxton probably has more range than Mullins.

No probably about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think you will find that Williams range in CF is no  where near what Broxton offers.  Williams has played a corner  OF spot most of the season because Mullins has more range in center.    Broxton probably has more range than Mullins.

Fair enough, but my dude they are playing Santander and Wilkerson in CF. I'm not super worried about range, just someone who has a chance to get on base.

But I think probably they are just biding their time for Hays and Stewart, which is sensible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, interloper said:

Fair enough, but my dude they are playing Santander and Wilkerson in CF. I'm not super worried about range, just someone who has a chance to get on base.

But I think probably they are just biding their time for Hays and Stewart, which is sensible. 

Sadly I think that if they thought Stewart was an answer they wouldn't have sent him down again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does he have the ability to play CF defensively in the majors? I'm looking at his numbers last year and he only played CF in 48 out of the 254 innings he played defensively. That is in spite of the fact that Billy Hamilton put up a horrible .236/.299/.327 line at the plate last year with the Reds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Well I don’t remember reading that in your original post, but yes that would be the very poster child of collusion. However, publicly saying, “it is stupid to sign a washed up veteran for too much money,” Is neither wrong, nor wrong. And it would be not wrong to publicly say, “the owners shouldn’t spend so much money on free agents” And it probably wouldn’t be wrong to say, “I’m going to have a meeting of all the general managers and tell them that they shouldn’t pay so much money to free agents because they aren’t worth it.”  After all, if they are free to do business as they wish, and they all agree that high dollar free agents are overvalued, that may be a fine line between “collusion“ and “good business practice.“ I’m not attempting to argue against what happened, just Wondering if it would still have been collusion if the owners had publicly explained that it was bad business?
    • It amazes me that people that were so angry when I suggested that you shouldn't feed your kids hot dogs and sodas are now so worried about ccvid. Heart Disease deaths in this country are 650k a year. Strokes kill 140k a year in the US and Diabetes 85k. And 620k from Diabetes.     The same thing that makes you at risk from dying from covid is the same thing that puts you at risk from dying from Heart Disease, Diabetes and stroke.  Yet I have yet to hear anyone else say they have given up processed food, meats, and exercising and eating more fruits and vegetables more since Covid started.    
    • I'm sure they're stretching out to the point that first start might be 5 or 75 pitches, then 6 or 90, then opened up.
    • There are 2 different discussions here. First of all, I’m good with selling off pieces and going cheaper and younger for now..of course, they did it in a half assed way and other guys should be gone. Secondly, this rebuild started with DD still here.  The Gausman deal was strictly about saving money.  If they cared about the best rebuild possible, you ignore the pennies and get the best players. Also, we saw the deal between the Angels and the Giants and how the Giants essentially bought a good prospect for taking on Cozart’s deal.  That was right after the Bundy deal and was the Os needed a SS at the time.  You then heard Elias basically say that type of deal wouldn’t be signed off on by the owners.  That’s a huge problem to me. The Orioles are spending about 100M less on payroll than they did 3-4 years ago.  They have flexibility to take advantage of teams that could try to dump contracts and attach good young players to it.(see David Price as an example) They can take advantage and sign a FA who maybe has slipped through the cracks.     There are things they are doing that are encouraging but I see no reason to have total faith in them and give them the benefit of the doubt.  Elias will have to be really good for this to work and if he is just above average, the team probably will struggle to truly contend unless things break right for them like they did from 2012-2016.
    • Servideo is in Baltimore today so expect his signing to be imminent. 
    • https://nccueaglepride.com/sports/baseball/roster/shane-davis/6327#:~:text=Tossed 191 strikeouts over 135.0,a 3.68 ERA in 2018. Works 88-90 but with high spin rate and can touch 92-93 on occasion. Reportedly uses a decent curveball and change and shows a slider at times.     
    • 100% impossible to know that at this stage. The fact they hired Elias and Co. and started an Analytics Dept and an International Scouting dept alone means they get it.  It's a PROPER rebuild. Not the half-assed approach we've been treated to at various times over the last 20 years or so. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...