Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Loverro takes one last shot at Angelos and Baltimore

Recommended Posts

He ties it all back to John Vidalin leaving. Someone the vast majority Orioles fans have never heard of.

I am curious as to what happened but there isn’t a business expert in the world who can help attendance substantially at a time like this.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He ties it all back to John Vidalin leaving. Someone the vast majority Orioles fans have never heard of.

I am curious as to what happened but there isn’t a business expert in the world who can help attendance substantially at a time like this.  

 

Winning does wonders. Phillies when winning in 2011  averaged 45,440 and were  first in attendance. In 2015 they were 25th in attendance ,averaging 23,475. Eight in attendance  this year, averaging 35,509.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Winning does wonders. Phillies when winning in 2011  averaged 45,440 and were  first in attendance. In 2015 they were 25th in attendance ,averaging 23,475. Eight in attendance  this year, averaging 35,509.

I certainly don’t agree with everything the Orioles do, like the high prices for the giveaway games, but to write a column like this is comical. 

Perhaps the sons will have to sell the team but we have seen more positive developments in the last year than the last 25 combined in terms of baseball operations. 

The greatest sports exec in the world is not going to bring in strong attendance when the team admits before the year they aren’t trying to win.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I certainly don’t agree with everything the Orioles do, like the high prices for the giveaway games, but to write a column like this is comical. 

Perhaps the sons will have to sell the team but we have seen more positive developments in the last year than the last 25 combined in terms of baseball operations. 

The greatest sports exec in the world is not going to bring in strong attendance when the team admits before the year they aren’t trying to win.  

Chris Davis is still on the 25-man roster. I won't buy into the fact that the organization has the utmost commitment to winning until they eat the money left on Davis' contract and buy him out.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why do you think it is Loverro last shot at Angelos and Baltimore?

Just a quick headline to grab attention. Feel free to change the word "last" to latest if you so choose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was a very stupid and superficial column.    There’s no information about Vidalin’s reasons for leaving, he’s got nothing to do with baseball operations, and yet Loverro leads and ends with that as though it has some deeper meaning.    Perhaps it does, but Loverro certainly didn’t give any clue as to why.  

As to the water main break, perhaps Loverro didn’t notice the major damage done in DC by last week’s flash floods.     I don’t see that as a symbol of anything other than the reporter’s laziness.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought it was a very stupid and superficial column.    There’s no information about Vidalin’s reasons for leaving, he’s got nothing to do with baseball operations, and yet Loverro leads and ends with that as though it has some deeper meaning.    Perhaps it does, but Loverro certainly didn’t give any clue as to why.  

As to the water main break, perhaps Loverro didn’t notice the major damage done in DC by last week’s flash floods.     I don’t see that as a symbol of anything other than the reporter’s laziness.   

Lazy is really the only appropriate word to describe this article. @Tony-OH  has to keep it respectful with Laverro as a member of the media, but he essentially said as much without actually using the word. 

I mean, let's say the O's get sold today to the best baseball owner we could possibly hope for... does Laverro think that a competent owner would aim to make the team competitive by 2020? Surely that's not the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

 

Chris Davis is still on the 25-man roster. I won't buy into the fact that the organization has the utmost commitment to winning until they eat the money left on Davis' contract and buy him out.   

But that is just your line in the sand  It doesn’t mean anything. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought it was a very stupid and superficial column.    There’s no information about Vidalin’s reasons for leaving, he’s got nothing to do with baseball operations, and yet Loverro leads and ends with that as though it has some deeper meaning.    Perhaps it does, but Loverro certainly didn’t give any clue as to why.  

As to the water main break, perhaps Loverro didn’t notice the major damage done in DC by last week’s flash floods.     I don’t see that as a symbol of anything other than the reporter’s laziness.   

Stupid. Superficial. Excellent word choices. By the way. I spent the weekend on Baltimore St  Never uncomfortable at any time day or night. Nice city to hang out in. Cities require a certain effort.  So does living on a farm. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

 

Chris Davis is still on the 25-man roster. I won't buy into the fact that the organization has the utmost commitment to winning until they eat the money left on Davis' contract and buy him out.   

They aren’t trying to win this year. They have basically put up a sign and said so.  

There aren’t too many people on here who don’t want him gone. That said whether he is here or not has little impact on the 2019 record.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • #50THANNIVERSARY On this day in 1970, the Orioles completed a three-game sweep of the Kansas City Royals.  The Orioles won by a score of 10-8. Mike Cuellar won his 15th game of the season with a 5.1 inning, 8 hit and 5 runs allowed effort.  He also walked 2 and struck out 5. Paul Blair and Curt Motton were the offensive catalysts for the Birds.  Blair went 4 for 5 with 2 doubles and 2 runs scored while Motton went 2 for 4 with a homerun, 2 runs scored and 5 RBI. BOX SCORE
    • No, Cashner’s value is based on what the market says it is.     No one was willing to give up any top prospect for him..or even organizational top 10-15 prospects. Some of the complaint about the deal revolved around the timing of the trade.  Elias traded him early, likely because he wanted to deal him before his value plummeted.  Had he waited and Cashner had done the same thing in Baltimore that he did in Boston, Elias would not have been able to trade him for anything more than some salary dump deal where they got nothing back but salary relief and even then, he may not have been able to do it.
    • Bleier was clearly dealing with injuries last season.  He appears healthy now.  When healthy he has pitched well since joining the O's.
    • Fact remains that we need quality pitching to raise to the top.   And especially in Camden Yards quality starting pitching is hard to find.   IMO its better to acquire a quality starter whenever you can.  Hitters are much easier to find with a home park like Camden.
    • It's 3 innings in 2 games. Last June he had a stretch where he allowed 1 run in 6.1 innings. One might have said that he certainly looked like he was back to his old form at that point. Then he had a 4.58 ERA the rest of the year.  Then in August he had a 2 game period with 2.2 innings, no runs, 1 hit, 4 Ks. Back to his old form right? But then he had a 4.60 ERA the rest of the way.
    • The crowd should give Bleier a standing ovation tonight.
    • #50THANNIVERSARY On this day in 1970, Jim Palmer pitched a complete game as the Baltimore Orioles beat the Kansas City Royals 9-1.  Palmer gave up 6 hits while walking 2 and striking out 5.  The Royals didn't touch Palmer for their lone run until the 8th inning when Amos Otis doubled with one out and Lou Piniella's two out single knocked him in; Palmer then surrendered a single to Bob Oliver before getting out of the inning. Merv Rettenmund led the way for Baltimore with a 4 for 5, 4 runs scored, 1 RBI game.  Elrod Hendricks went 3 for 4 with 1 run scored and 3 RBI and Davey Johnson went 3 for 5 with 1 run scored. BOX SCORE
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...