Jump to content
VaBird1

New BA Organizational Top 30

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Can anyone explain why a 16 year old belongs on this list?

He’s played more pro games than any of our 2019 draftees who are on the list.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 7:34 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:
 
1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I’d nitpick the order, but that would be missing the point. This list is way more talented than in years past. The top 50 will be more interesting than any time I can remember.

totally agree - that's a deep list.  I suspect at least the top 25 in that list have a real good shot at being decent MLB players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I think most of us know who Acevedo was before the list came out today.  We've been following the DSL pretty closely since Elias has put more (any would have been more!) emphasis on international talent.  I certainly didn't know of him before he signed, but he's gotten plenty of attention here.

So if you know about him.  What stands out about him?  Please share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see any reason for the big gap between Gunnar and A Hall. Drafted in similar position, Hall has developed and is performing well as a 20 year old. Could be promoted through the system pretty quickly after this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DirtyBird said:

I don’t see any reason for the big gap between Gunnar and A Hall. Drafted in similar position, Hall has developed and is performing well as a 20 year old. Could be promoted through the system pretty quickly after this season.

I haven’t seen enough of Gunnar to rank him that highly but plenty of people have, if reports of him already having above average raw are true, it makes his path to a MLB role and a quality ceiling much easier than Hall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Can anyone explain why a 16 year old belongs on this list?

I don’t have a scouting report on the guy, but BA obviously must have some reports on him and there must be some tools to go along with the pro frame. He was the Orioles top bonus 2018 J2 guy and Elias/Perez’s first 6 figure guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don’t have a scouting report on the guy, but BA obviously must have some reports on him and there must be some tools to go along with the pro frame. He was the Orioles top bonus 2018 J2 guy and Elias/Perez’s first 6 figure guy.

The Sun column says:

The Orioles feel they got a steal, as Acevedo was just old enough to sign in last year’s period but could have gotten a seven-figure bonus if he signed this year.

That sounds like someone thinks he’s got some skills. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, schittenden said:

The Sun column says:

The Orioles feel they got a steal, as Acevedo was just old enough to sign in last year’s period but could have gotten a seven-figure bonus if he signed this year.

That sounds like someone thinks he’s got some skills. 

Yeah, I wish I could watch him so I could give you all a report, but the fact he made this list when there are a number of much higher probability types who could slot there should be encouraging.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a pretty respectable top 30 list - both from perspective that our system is approaching league average or better and I think BA did a good job.

We have our share of top 100 guys at the top of our list and have some strong depth - looking at those guys 15-20 including guys like Rom and AHall.  

Some opportunity here in the last six weeks or so for some guys to really put things together and improve their stock and that of the entire system - particularly guys like McKenna, Kremer, Wells, Zimmerman and guys like that who could really end the season on a high note with some sizzling stats from here to the end of season and boost the entire season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Haven’t seen any recent reports on what Gunner is doing down in Sarasota, but unless he’s tearing it up does he really belong at #7? I know he’s young, but until he starts facing some real pitching up north isn’t his projection simply hopes and prayers? 

Yeah seems unjustified as he is a high school player drafted 42nd.  Harvey seems too high as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Seems like a pretty respectable top 30 list - both from perspective that our system is approaching league average or better and I think BA did a good job.

We have our share of top 100 guys at the top of our list and have some strong depth - looking at those guys 15-20 including guys like Rom and AHall.  

Some opportunity here in the last six weeks or so for some guys to really put things together and improve their stock and that of the entire system - particularly guys like McKenna, Kremer, Wells, Zimmerman and guys like that who could really end the season on a high note with some sizzling stats from here to the end of season and boost the entire season.

Seems to me that Wells just needs to keep doing what he’s been doing all along this year.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Prior beliefs die hard.

Well you have to think that these lists are compiled now based on scouting grades and just not scouting box scores. Results matter, but Harvey is always gong to be a wildcard because he his fb,and breaking pitch, grade out as in the discussion for best in the system. Just Harvey being healthy justifies his ranking. His profile even as a reliever is better than anyone not named Rodriguez. 

It’s not bias, it’s talent. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well you have to think that these lists are compiled now based on scouting grades and just not scouting box scores. Results matter, but Harvey is always gong to be a wildcard because he his fb,and breaking pitch, grade out as in the discussion for best in the system. Just Harvey being healthy justifies his ranking. His profile even as a reliever is better than anyone not named Rodriguez. 

It’s not bias, it’s talent. 

I agree with this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Seems to me that Wells just needs to keep doing what he’s been doing all along this year.    

This is true - Wells has been healthy and is performing very well.  Yet he's ranked where he is.  More than any pitcher in our system, if he could pick up a few ticks on his fastball, his prospect status would really take off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • I think that as always, there are some fans that cross the line.  Hate to see that, because it is totally unnecessary.  At the end of the day, Zack Greinke has overcome a lot to have an excellent career and will very likely go to the Hall of Fame.  I am not sure what those taunting fans will accomplish in their lives, but I am willing to bet it will be much less. 
    • o   Astros Players say that Yankees Fans Crossed a Line with Zack Greinke Heckling (By Deesha Thosar) https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-zack-greinke-roberto-osuna-fans-hecking-houston-astros-alcs-game-4-20191018-kv6qb6s32ngzdmg6tyubdhsd34-story.html   o
    • Encarnacion definitely looks the part, you see him on a good day and I wouldn't blame anyone thinking he's a top 10 prospect in the system. There are a bunch of above average tools and good bat speed. It's the skills part of baseball that is holding him back. His footwork can get wonky at 3B and is the cause of most of his errors, but it is improved and I think he'll be an average glove there eventually. The big issue is a poor approach and terrible pitch recognition. He's a total guess hitter, he can hit spin if he's sitting on it, but it's a total guess style, he doesn't adjust or waste pitches and sometimes he gets caught in between which is even worse. I'm concerned that those are things that don't usually improve out of nowhere. But the ceiling is still average to above average regular, but it's a really low probability outcome and the floor is not making it out of AA.  Carmona looked good at 2B the few games I watched and he still has quick hands and good bat speed, but the swing mechanics are still a mess. He's rarely loaded and ready to attack on time which leads to weak contact and rolling over on pitches frequently. I'm not sure why he played so sparingly, so it's possible an injury hindered his performance. The ceiling isn't quite as high as Encarnacion, but his issues are more fixable IMO.  These guys have pretty serious flaws and neither fits the definition of hitterish, so they'll be a good test of the Orioles new player development machine, it'd be a good sign if they could get one of these two straightened out. 
    • Akin, Hays, and Harvey on OD roster.  Mountcastle after the service clock issues.  Tate as an up/down guy till he pitches well enough to stick. I think that’s it in terms of “prospects”.  Diaz might get a Sept callup but most likely the Mountcastle treatment.  If Akin didn’t get a call up last year then I don’t see any of the SP prospects getting called up either.   No point to rush to start service clocks in a 100 loss season.  
    • @Luke-OH or anyone else, what’s your take on these two guys, 3B Encarnacion(21) .648 OPS in Delmarva https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=encarn000jea SS Jean Carmona(19) .561 OPS in Aberdeen in only 25 games.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=carmon000jea  
    • Zero. Waiver claims if we do. We’re staring at, Means, Bundy, Cobb, Wojo, Akin for next year. With Brooks and Ynoa as depth in the MLB bullpen. We’ll likely see a 14 man pitching staff(if allowed). Also keep in mind that players must be in the minors for 15 days and not 10 once they get optioned. Plus position players can only pitch if their team is losing or winning by 6+ runs.  With all that being said, I think we’re going to see us be forced to carry arms in the pen that can go multiple IP. Basically SP. Especially considering we do not want to touch the prospects in AAA next year at all. See Akin this year.  It would be a little crazy for us to not start the year with Ynoa, Brooks, and two others like them in the bullpen. 
    • The big takeaway for me from this thread is that our window to realistically compete doesn’t start till 2023. We have to pay Davis in 20-22. Cobb in 20-21.  We might give it hell in 2022 with the guys in AA-AAA now, plus AR, Hall, and Rodriguez, but we’re In no position to even sign a FA until then.  I don’t know what type of deals Elias will get offered, but the smart things to do would be to Mancini, Bundy, and Givens. Villar is a given. Then get top draft picks from losing in 20-22.  After the 2022 draft we should be taking the field with a cheap, talented roster, with a farm system ready to sustain a run. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...