Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SteveA

Three Orioles go into the Hall of Fame this Weekend

Recommended Posts

Harold Baines

Lee Smith

Mike Mussina

Also:  Edgar Martinez, Mariano Rivera, and the late Roy Halladay.

Figured it was worth a thread, and I'll start it with a pretty interesting article on Mike Mussina, told by his ex-teammate A-Rod:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27218196/he-was-poker-player-always-read-my-hand-rod-mike-mussina

Any Oriole fans making the trip to Cooperstown?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Harold Baines

Lee Smith

Mike Mussina

Also:  Edgar Martinez, Mariano Rivera, and the late Roy Halladay.

Figured it was worth a thread, and I'll start it with a pretty interesting article on Mike Mussina, told by his ex-teammate A-Rod:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27218196/he-was-poker-player-always-read-my-hand-rod-mike-mussina

Any Oriole fans making the trip to Cooperstown?

That’s a very insightful article by A-Rod.    Really captures Moose’s personality well.    

I’m not going this weekend, but I’d like to catch Moose’s induction speech.   It will probably be quirky.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 5:11 PM, Frobby said:

That’s a very insightful article by A-Rod.    Really captures Moose’s personality well.    

I’m not going this weekend, but I’d like to catch Moose’s induction speech.   It will probably be quirky.  

Joe Trezza co-authored this article.

“Both the Yankees and the Orioles were instrumental in my reaching Cooperstown,” Mussina said. “I am proud to have played for these great organizations, in front of the tremendous fans in Baltimore and New York, and I am honored to have the opportunity to represent them both in the Hall of Fame.”

Also this interview at 10 this am on MLB network.  At 8:26 he answers the differences between playing in Baltimore and NY.  Growing up in Pa he mostly saw Yankees and Philly growing up so liked Reggie, Guidry and Steve Carlton.  His toughest batter he faced was Frank Thomas.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moose's hall of fame speech speaks volumes with what he doesn't say.   He doesn't name a single person by name associated with his time in Baltimore. He thanks his Stanford coaches by name.  He thanks the fans of Baltimore which is a nice touch, but not a single coach, manager, teammate (not counting Baines) much less ownership.  Then when he gets to his Yankee tenue he immediately mentions Joe Torre, the Steinbrenner family and how great it was to play for the Yankees.   I don't blame him.  Just thought it was interesting.   I'm surprised he didn't go into the hall as a Yankee.  It's a classy touch to the fans here that he didn't.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or the Hall told him no.

I doubt it.    

Torre managed him much longer than anyone else so I’m not surprised he mentioned him.    The Steinbrenners paid him handsomely while Angelos lowballed him, so I’m not surprised he mentioned them, either.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I doubt it.    

Torre managed him much longer than anyone else so I’m not surprised he mentioned him.    The Steinbrenners paid him handsomely while Angelos lowballed him, so I’m not surprised he mentioned them, either.    

Not stirring the pot, It isn't something that bothers me.

Just pointing it out as a possibility.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...