Tony-OH

TT: Time to demote Smith Jr. and bring up Stewart

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Smith left the game with an injury last night. Perhaps an IL move is soon. 

Maybe Thursday vs the Jays.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Stewart and Santander are COF. I agree with you about Davis' they should just bench him. I don't care about the roster spot and doubt they are releasing him.

IMO Wilkerson is a 4th OF or Utility type. He doesn't have enough bat to start everyday anywhere and we need a our CF in one of these trade deals unless Hayes is close to ready.

Mancini is your 1B moving forward unless dealt and you need to make room for Mountcastle after this season.

Ive wondered about Sisco platooning and perhaps at 1B or DH. 

Severino is your everyday catcher moving forward.

The problem unless some deals happen is that you have Nunez, Alberto, Mancini, Sisco (in this scenario that only can be used at 3B, 1B, and DH. Adding Sisco would make it 5 guys for 3 positions.

Hays not ready.  Not hitting well.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:00 AM, RZNJ said:

Ruiz probably is not the answer but he's got a lot of good points.  Solid defense, sweet swing, and generally good AB's.  I suppose Elias and Hyde are hoping for a little power surge.  

Unless he suddenly gets a lot stronger, there's not a lot of power there. I've seen the BP on top of his below average EV and Hard hit % (both at 30th percentile in MLB). He's just not a major league at bat despite his ability to have some good at bats. If he was a little more versatile then maybe I can see a utility profile similar to Flaherty with a slightly better hit tool, but worse power.

Ruiz was worth a shot, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's part of the future here. I'd play Nunez at 3B on most days with Alberto and Peterson filling in on occasion.

As for Smith Jr., nothing has changed in my mind. I'd rather see Stewart getting the playing time up here at this point so he can be evaluated.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Damn I saw this get bumped and had my hopes up.

He's injured (not that I'd wish that on anybody) so there is that (also mentioned above) plus nice photo of Hess pondering his last and next pitch (he may start again per Hyder, see article below):

"Smith hurt again: Dwight Smith Jr., who left Saturday’s game with soreness in his left calf, hobbled off the field after his pinch-hit single in the seventh.

The Orioles said that Smith left the game with a left calf injury.

With an afternoon game on Tuesday, it may be hard to get a player to San Diego in time. DJ Stewart seems to be the logical replacement for Smith."

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/07/30/hess-allows-homers-first-two-pitches-dwight-smith-jr-hurt-dillon-tate-debuts/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hess_David_05212019_13.jpg

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying he is or isn't ready but you don't judge that by the stat line.

You don't. I do.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You don't. I do.

I have to agree to a certain extent. If the idea is that you want to see Hays dominate his level before coming up, a lot of that will inevitably bear out in the stats. Not everything, obviously, and that's where stuff like EV and BABIP and scouting comes in, but a lot. 

As for Hays, he's slashing .253/.306/.532/.838 with a 4-22 BB-K ratio in 85 PAs. This is where the K rate and lack of walks combined with a pedestrian BA is a concern. If you are not going to walk, you need to hit for a high average like Mountcastle.

I don't see Hays coming up anytime soon and think they give him the rest of the year in AAA unless he suddenly becomes white hot and there's an injury to Santander who I think they are going to continue to look at everyday in CF for now.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Stewart in his last nine games despite a .259 BaBIP, .270/.357/.595/.952.

Maybe after that Padres series?

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As for Hays, he's slashing .253/.306/.532/.838 with a 4-22 BB-K ratio in 85 PAs. This is where the K rate and lack of walks combined with a pedestrian BA is a concern. If you are not going to walk, you need to hit for a high average like Mountcastle.

I don't see Hays coming up anytime soon and think they give him the rest of the year in AAA unless he suddenly becomes white hot and there's an injury to Santander who I think they are going to continue to look at everyday in CF for now.

Yeah. Too many starts and stops this year, yet again. He has to show he can sustain success offensively. 

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Maybe after that Padres series?

That's when it makes sense.

Plus, with Wednesday being an off day AND the trade deadline, they can fill any holes that a trade created.

• Upvote 1