Tony-OH

TT: Time to demote Smith Jr. and bring up Stewart

53 minutes ago, scOtt said:

You think the owners aren't selfish?

And yes, I see your point, the tenured players set the rules, or at least the goals. And they benefit them of course, not a minor leaguer or someone in arb years, but there ya go. That's the way of the world.

Awesome song

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Philip said:

Adam Jones had a better contract. Two of them in fact. And what he got this season is what a team was willing to pay. No team is handing out huge contracts anymore because they see that it’s stupid.

The union can’t change that truth.

So they have to help the younger players get paid sooner and that means, among other things, helping the minor leaguers.

I think the ideas is to pay the 800 that are good enough. Not the guys in their way. It's a paid internship. 

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Awesome song

Awesome and sad. As the Bible put it, Great and very terrible.

25 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Wilkerson is too valuable (to this lowly team at least...) because he can play ANYwhere and can at least hit a little.

His main value is as the emergency reliever.   

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I think the ideas is to pay the 800 that are good enough. Not the guys in their way. It's a paid internship. 

You can have yours, just gimmee mine!

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Same with Davis.

Davis has the Jill added-value. On like canned food drive weekend.

Just now, scOtt said:

Davis has the Jill added-value. On like canned food drive weekend.

Don't know what Stevie's sweetie looks like....

6 minutes ago, weams said:

The problem is that under the current system, by the time most players reach free agency, their prime production years are declining at best. Who wants to give a 31-year-old player $100 million when you know he’s only going to be productive for two or three of those years?

And we see it every year, Alex Gordon Miguel Cabrera Ian Kinsler, I could go on and on. Those guys don’t deserve the big contracts because by the time they’re in a position to get them they no longer deserve them.

But part of establishing an earlier free agency involves improving the lot of the career minor leaguer. That’s necessary. I had no idea that these guys had to provide their own food and housing during spring training. I remember the famous story about Caleb Joseph delivering pizzas in the off-season to pay his bills. And he did that for how many years? 

That’s ridiculous. But the fact is we need the organizational guys.  We need the fringe guys who may come up and play 30 games in their career. They serve an important and indispensable service. So we need to take care of them, and in taking care of them it will be easier for the elite guys to get their money. 

One proposal is to start the free-agent clock from when they are signed rather than when they are promoted to the majors. Eight years for high school guys, six years for college guys. Have a minimum salary and per diem for all minor leaguers. Provide housing during spring training. It’s not hard, and it is thinking about the well-being of your colleague instead of your own.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His main value is as the emergency reliever.   

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Same with Davis.

Luckily for them, the Orioles need an emergency reliever quite often. And you don’t want Hanser Alberto bearing all the burden.   

The Union members don't consider the guys not on the 40 colleagues.

Does Jimmy Fallon consider some guy at the comedy club his colleague?  Is he willing to share his contract?

Why don't the folks making 20M a movie in the SAG help pay the bills for their fellow union members?  I hear some of them have to deliver pizza to pay the bills!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

Luckily for them, the Orioles need an emergency reliever quite often. And you don’t want Hanser Alberto bearing all the burden.   

We know Smith and Sisco don't have the arm for it.

• Haha 1