Tony-OH

TT: Time to demote Smith Jr. and bring up Stewart

Just now, Philip said:

That’s a straw man argument. Jimmy Fallon doesn’t run the lights, and the lights guys have their own union and get paid pretty well. None of them has to deliver pizzas.

Adam Jones doesn't run the lights either.  I'm guessing that's a union job that pays better than open mike night at the comedy factory.

Why are you bringing up the lighting guys in the first place?

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

I want to see Hays in  CF  in the near future.  

Mancini is going to play right field vs righties with Davis playing 1B vs most righties.

Santander plays most days.  In left field vs righties and right field vs lefties.

That really only leaves left field vs lefties.   That is probably Wilkerson    Stewart is a lefty batter so I don't really see how he gets at bats.

I am fine with keeping Smith as a bench player the rest of the season and using his option next year.

Stewart needs someone to get injured or traded to open  up space.  I am fine with not seeing him until the rosters expand.

You see, there's your problem. Bench Davis and Mancini anchors 1B

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I am wholeheartedly against this.  I think the Orioles have the non-competitiveness and time to see if players can work their way out of slumps (yes even 100 AB slumps).  I think the OP mindset is shortsighted in a longterm game.  

As to his defense I think you have to allow for players to adjust and get better.  And i think that is possible.

If we adopt this mindset with every player you will cery quickly think we have no viable prospects.  Smith was a first rounder, if he were the Orioles first rounder I doubt you would be so quick to pull the plug.  In fact I know that to be true because Stewart has had is own struggles.

So you are going to ignore his awful defense and pedestrian AAA numbers?

• Upvote 1

Let me state the obvious.  It’s time for Davis to go.

Here’s the questions I want answered the rest of the year, What can these guys do in these roles...?

DJ Stewart in COF?

Santander in COF?

Wilkerson in CF or 2B?

Sisco getting “everyday” ABs at C/DH?

Severino C 40-50% of the time?

Hays play CF for 20+ games in September. 

Wilkerson is a utility guy.  Hays in CF soon. Stewart in LF. Santander in RF. Ruiz at 3B, Martin at SS, Alberto at 2B, Mancini at 1B, Nunez at DH. Sisco/Severino platoon at C.  Wilkerson plays some 3B against LHP and some 2B against RHP.  Villar gets moved, Davis released, and Mason Williams comes up as the 4th out fielder.  That's what it should be but Davis is the fly in the ointment.

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Smith must of read this thread the other day.

Smith must be having a huge sigh of relief rn.  He needs to stay on the baseball a while no matter where he goes.

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Wilkerson is a utility guy.  Hays in CF soon. Stewart in LF. Santander in RF. Ruiz at 3B, Martin at SS, Alberto at 2B, Mancini at 1B, Nunez at DH. Sisco/Severino platoon at C.  Wilkerson plays some 3B against LHP and some 2B against RHP.  Villar gets moved, Davis released, and Mason Williams comes up as the 4th out fielder.  That's what it should be but Davis is the fly in the ointment.

I mean, we don't have anything in Ruiz, right? So why not just play Nuñez at 3B no matter how frustrating his defense is. Need to tank to get the 1st pick anyways. Lineup remains the same just with Mancini at DH and Davis at 1B because as you say he's the fly in the ointment. 

But yeah, really don't get why Stewart isn't up here playing every day. 

13 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I mean, we don't have anything in Ruiz, right? So why not just play Nuñez at 3B no matter how frustrating his defense is. Need to tank to get the 1st pick anyways. Lineup remains the same just with Mancini at DH and Davis at 1B because as you say he's the fly in the ointment. 

But yeah, really don't get why Stewart isn't up here playing every day. 

Ruiz probably is not the answer but he's got a lot of good points.  Solid defense, sweet swing, and generally good AB's.  I suppose Elias and Hyde are hoping for a little power surge.  

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Ruiz probably is not the answer but he's got a lot of good points.  Solid defense, sweet swing, and generally good AB's.  I suppose Elias and Hyde are hoping for a little power surge.  

And there are time and losses to find out for sure.

Smith is a decent 4th/5th OF for now. He’s limited defensively and doesn’t really have a lot of speed. 

Ruiz is on the team because we literally had no better options at 3rd. Alberto has earned time now, but Villar should be traded, and Martin should be in AAA next year. As of now, I see no better options to replace Ruiz next year. 

Stewart has been back at AAA for 14 games after completing a mini rehab assignment coming off his IL stint. He’s healthy. He’ll be 26 in the offseason. We really need to take a look at him to see what we have. 

The obvious is to release Davis. 

Maybe after Villar is traded we call up Stewart. That would still leave Alberto, Martin, Peterson to cover the IF, and possibly Nunez at 3B. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Stewart has been back at AAA for 14 games after completing a mini rehab assignment coming off his IL stint. He’s healthy. He’ll be 26 in the offseason. We really need to take a look at him to see what we have. 

Maybe after Villar is traded we call up Stewart. That would still leave Alberto, Martin, Peterson to cover the IF, and possibly Nunez at 3B. 

Smith left the game with an injury last night. Perhaps an IL move is soon. 

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Add Wilkerson into the infield coverage mix.

On 7/23/2019 at 5:55 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Let me state the obvious.  It’s time for Davis to go.

Here’s the questions I want answered the rest of the year, What can these guys do in these roles...?

DJ Stewart in COF?

Santander in COF?

Wilkerson in CF or 2B?

Sisco getting “everyday” ABs at C/DH?

Severino C 40-50% of the time?

Hays play CF for 20+ games in September. 

Stewart and Santander are COF. I agree with you about Davis' they should just bench him. I don't care about the roster spot and doubt they are releasing him.

IMO Wilkerson is a 4th OF or Utility type. He doesn't have enough bat to start everyday anywhere and we need a our CF in one of these trade deals unless Hayes is close to ready.

Mancini is your 1B moving forward unless dealt and you need to make room for Mountcastle after this season.

Ive wondered about Sisco platooning and perhaps at 1B or DH. 

Severino is your everyday catcher moving forward.

The problem unless some deals happen is that you have Nunez, Alberto, Mancini, Sisco (in this scenario that only can be used at 3B, 1B, and DH. Adding Sisco would make it 5 guys for 3 positions.