Sign in to follow this  
AceKing

O’s are paying $50.5 million for 2019

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The Orioles have had terrible luck with their big contracts. 

If I give a big contract to a player few other teams are willing to sign to a big contract, is it terrible luck or just a terrible contract?  The worst that initially come to mind: obviously Chris Davis and I guess then Ubaldo Jimenez.  That said, the O's have been on the positive end of some bigger contracts too -- the first two coming to mind are Miguel Tejada and arguably, funny enough, Andrew Cashner. 

Tejada was lucky for the O's in that neither the Yankees nor the Red Sox needed a shortstop when his free agency came up.  His signing was pretty much a no-brainer -- at least it seemed like it at the time.  Too bad the O's never went after any of the big name free agent pitchers -- not that there are that many worth the risk.  Scherzer would have been that guy imo.

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you give up a draft pick for Cobb?

The 2017 Cobb again I don’t think he was a mistake.... just rotten luck

Just now, weams said:

And paying all the money?

Some...not all...depends on how Cashner like he pitches...best case, he comes roaring back and we can get away with little cash...worst case is he is a lost cause. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The 2017 Cobb again I don’t think he was a mistake.... just rotten luck

The pick is the main part that bothered me.  Lost a second rounder.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nick was worth six wins or so and was paid $44M.  If you say a win is $7M, then the contract was almost dead even.  

But I'm not sure why you'd want to pay free agent rates for a player in his 30s who's worth less than two wins a year.  That's what they did with Trumbo, they should have learned their lesson.

Admittedly I’m a Nickophant, but there’s something to be said for putting a player who plays 155+ games a year, has a great work ethic, grinds every at bat and is steady as a rock among a team full of young up and comers.    He sets an example for the young guys to emulate.    Nick is beloved by teammates and his managers in Atlanta just as he was here.    I don’t think the Braves regret that contract in the slightest.

1 hour ago, CheeryO said:

If I give a big contract to a player few other teams are willing to sign to a big contract, is it terrible luck or just a terrible contract?  The worst that initially come to mind: obviously Chris Davis and I guess then Ubaldo Jimenez.  That said, the O's have been on the positive end of some bigger contracts too -- the first two coming to mind are Miguel Tejada and arguably, funny enough, Andrew Cashner. 

Tejada was lucky for the O's in that neither the Yankees nor the Red Sox needed a shortstop when his free agency came up.  His signing was pretty much a no-brainer -- at least it seemed like it at the time.  Too bad the O's never went after any of the big name free agent pitchers -- not that there are that many worth the risk.  Scherzer would have been that guy imo.

Cashner wasn't a big contract..... Belle, Davis, Cobb, Tejada, Palmeiro are examples.

Davis was a mistake as it was inflated by Angelos negotiating with himself. But most fans wanted Davis resigned, even if they won't admit it now.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Cashner wasn't a big contract..... Belle, Davis, Cobb, Tejada, Palmeiro are examples.

Davis was a mistake as it was inflated by Angelos negotiating with himself. But most fans wanted Davis resigned, even if they won't admit it now.

I think Cashner was potentially a 4/48 with things kicking right. 

20 minutes ago, weams said:

I think Cashner was potentially a 4/48 with things kicking right. 

Yeah but it took an awesome season this year to even come close to the 4th year after his mediocre years 1 & 2

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah, but I doubt many fans who cared thought Davis was worth that much for that many years.  Most fans don't think about contract disaster when it comes to sport.  But unless my memory is wrong I believe there were plenty of voices on this board that bemoaned the Davis deal when it was announced.

18 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

Yeah, but I doubt many fans who cared thought Davis was worth that much for that many years.  Most fans don't think about contract disaster when it comes to sport.  But unless my memory is wrong I believe there were plenty of voices on this board that bemoaned the Davis deal when it was announced.

I think even in hindsight very few (if any) ever thought it would turn out that bad.

There are plenty of threads on how bad that contract is, though, so no need to rehash it here.

It would be nice if we could ever recoup ANY of the remaining value on that deal, but I don’t know how that realistically ever happens.

Getting something at all from the Trumbo or Cobb contracts is the best we can hope for, I guess....

1 minute ago, AceKing said:

I think even in hindsight very few (if any) ever thought it would turn out that bad.

There are plenty of threads on how bad that contract is, though, so no need to rehash it here.

It would be nice if we could ever recoup ANY of the remaining value on that deal, but I don’t know how that realistically ever happens.

Getting something at all from the Trumbo or Cobb contracts is the best we can hope for, I guess....

I would think it plausible that he was this bad in 2019.  It's the 2018 season that was unbelievable. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would think it plausible that he was this bad in 2019.  It's the 2018 season that was unbelievable. 

And who in the hell knows what lies ahead......