Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DirtyBird

Joey Ortiz

Recommended Posts

Joey Ortiz finishing the season strong. Over his last 8 games, batting .448/.543/.448.

Overall numbers of .245/.347/.271. 2 doubles and 1 home run, his only extra base hits on 224 plate appearances. 29 walks and 37 strikeouts.

Hopefully he is able to get a little stronger as he develops, he just turned 21 on July 14th, will be in the mix for shortstop reps next season at Delmarva along with Henderson and Hernaiz. Supposedly he is the best defensive shortstop of the three but he will need to develop at least gap power to move further up the ladder.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Joey Ortiz finishing the season strong. Over his last 8 games, batting .448/.543/.448.

Overall numbers of .245/.347/.271. 2 doubles and 1 home run, his only extra base hits on 224 plate appearances. 29 walks and 37 strikeouts.

Hopefully he is able to get a little stronger as he develops, he just turned 21 on July 14th, will be in the mix for shortstop reps next season at Delmarva along with Henderson and Hernaiz. Supposedly he is the best defensive shortstop of the three but he will need to develop at least gap power to move further up the ladder.

 

 

 

It's possible, but tough to imagine all three of them being on the Delmarva roster. 

If I had to guess, I think Ortiz is the Delmarva SS and both Henderson and Hernaiz are held back in Aberdeen.  This new regime has not been aggressive with promotions so far or where they start guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It's possible, but tough to imagine all three of them being on the Delmarva roster. 

If I had to guess, I think Ortiz is the Delmarva SS and both Henderson and Hernaiz are held back in Aberdeen.  This new regime has not been aggressive with promotions so far or where they start guys. 

I would be pretty surprised if Henderson doesn't make the jump to full season ball with his pedigree and draft position, and Hernaiz outhit and outfielded Henderson from what I have heard. But I guess we will find out next April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I would be pretty surprised if Henderson doesn't make the jump to full season ball with his pedigree and draft position, and Hernaiz outhit and outfielded Henderson from what I have heard. But I guess we will find out next April.

It will be tough for them to really evaluate those guys as SS (particularly Henderson) if all three are vying for starts at the same position.  I understand you can have a medley between SS, 3B and 2B, but it's not the same. 

The fact that Henderson and Hernaiz are both young for their draft class favors them sticking in short season ball IMO.  To be honest, I'm in favor of seeing them all in Delmarva because I prefer to see our top prospects challenged a little more.  But that's not the way this regime rolls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 11:47 PM, ChuckS said:

It will be tough for them to really evaluate those guys as SS (particularly Henderson) if all three are vying for starts at the same position.  I understand you can have a medley between SS, 3B and 2B, but it's not the same. 

The fact that Henderson and Hernaiz are both young for their draft class favors them sticking in short season ball IMO.  To be honest, I'm in favor of seeing them all in Delmarva because I prefer to see our top prospects challenged a little more.  But that's not the way this regime rolls. 

Drew Rom started at Delmarva as a HS player in his first full year.  I could see Hernaiz and Henderson in Aberdeen but I think performance in the GCL doesn't suggest that they are no brainers for Delmarva either.  In addition to Ortiz, the 19 yo Carmona is in the middle infield picture as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • They will settle for no less than Rendon, Cole and Strasburg out of Cashman. Or maybe a trade for Lindor. 
    • I find Girardi annoying, but I think he was a good manager.    I think Boone has done a good job as well.    Those poor Yankee fans will have to live with 7 playoff appearances, 3 division titles and 4 ALCS appearances over the last decade.     And 27 straight winning seasons.   
    • All Roch said was, “I’d expect another catcher to join the organization, even if for depth purposes.“ I think it’s a foregone conclusion that we’ll add a catcher or two before spring training.    It doesn’t mean that whoever they acquire will slot above the players you named.    That will be sorted out in spring training.   
    • I feel like there were several seasons in the last decade where Girardi got more wins out of that team than he should have.  I can't remember which years, but there were a few.  I felt like he managed every game as if it was Game 7 of the WS, using Betances in every single medium to high leverage situation.  Even in spite of their payroll, there were a few years where the on-paper talent wasn't quite up to their normal standards....yet they still won a lot of games.  I think no matter who is managing, the Yankees will always have their fair share of players who outperform their norms simply by putting on that uniform.  This year was a little more pronounced, but we have seen other sports teams over the years have very high payrolls and still land under .500 because things just don't work out.  I think the 2012 Red Sox lost 90+ games and then won the WS the next year.  The Yankees never finish under .500, no matter what.  That is pretty impressive.
    • Everyone was a fan of Severino when he put up an 818 OPS in the first half.
    • The Surprise Saguaros clinched the AFL West title over the weekend.    It appears likely they’ll face the Salt River Rafters on Saturday for the League title.    If Kremer pitches today, he’ll be available to start the championship game, though I’m not sure he’d be chosen.    
    • Thankfully it's a fantasy baseball site. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...