Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
billw76

AL East top 10 prospect rankings

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Carmona shouldn’t, but Baumann should.

I'll definitely take your word on Baumann Luke.

Has he climbed that far this season? IIRC there were quite a few SP's ahead of him early in the season, and he was ranked 15-25 in most rankings I saw. He has definitely been on a roll since moving up to Bowie. 

It's nice having some young pitching to be excited about with Baumann, Kremer, Wells, Zimmerman, Lowther all having good seasons. I honestly can't remember the last time the farm had this much pitching talent at one time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I'll definitely take your word on Baumann Luke.

Has he climbed that far this season? IIRC there were quite a few SP's ahead of him early in the season, and he was ranked 15-25 in most rankings I saw. He has definitely been on a roll since moving up to Bowie. 

It's nice having some young pitching to be excited about with Baumann, Kremer, Wells, Zimmerman, Lowther all having good seasons. I honestly can't remember the last time the farm had this much pitching talent at one time.

So last year he was 90-94 with below average command, slider flashed plus, but was never ahead enough in the count to use it and struggled to throw it for strikes. The curve and changeup weren’t good and weren’t used often. 

This year he’s 94-96 (he t98 in his no-hitter, 90 pitches in) with better hop on the pitch up in the zone with fringe average command, a consistently plus cutter/slider (he tweaked the pitch and now it’s in the low 90s at times with bite). His curveball has gotten better but still lacks command of that pitch, the changeup is still below average and firm (in my most recent look, I didn’t see the no hitter or last start) but he’s been able to land it for strikes as a show me pitch. 

So yeah, he has passed a bunch of guys including Hanifee (still low 90s without feel for a third pitch) and Knight (90-94 fastball is very hittable). He has a good case to pass Lowther, Kremer, and Akin as well although all of those guys have less relief risk so it’s a close call. Those 4 are the same tier for me.

Edit: I know Baumann’s numbers jump at you since the Bowie promotion but he was excellent in Frederick too, his ERA didn’t reflect how well he threw.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

So last year he was 90-94 with below average command, slider flashed plus, but was never ahead enough in the count to use it and struggled to throw it for strikes. The curve and changeup weren’t good and weren’t used often. 

This year he’s 94-96 (he t98 in his no-hitter, 90 pitches in) with better hop on the pitch up in the zone with fringe average command, a consistently plus cutter/slider (he tweaked the pitch and now it’s in the low 90s at times with bite). His curveball has gotten better but still lacks command of that pitch, the changeup is still below average and firm (in my most recent look, I didn’t see the no hitter or last start) but he’s been able to land it for strikes as a show me pitch. 

So yeah, he has passed a bunch of guys including Hanifee (still low 90s without feel for a third pitch) and Knight (90-94 fastball is very hittable). He has a good case to pass Lowther, Kremer, and Akin as well although all of those guys have less relief risk so it’s a close call. Those 4 are the same tier for me.

Wells below all those, I assume?

Are you still planning a midseason list, or have you given up on that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wells below all those, I assume?

Are you still planning a midseason list, or have you given up on that?

No, haven’t given up, I have the rankings done, just working on writeups. I’ve definitely found it much harder to devote time to sitting down at a computer and actually writing since the twins were born. 

But yeah, definitely above Wells, Wells is a really weird profile with very little margin for error to even being a major league pitcher of any role. He could keep walking the tightrope, but that’s hard to project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

So last year he was 90-94 with below average command, slider flashed plus, but was never ahead enough in the count to use it and struggled to throw it for strikes. The curve and changeup weren’t good and weren’t used often. 

This year he’s 94-96 (he t98 in his no-hitter, 90 pitches in) with better hop on the pitch up in the zone with fringe average command, a consistently plus cutter/slider (he tweaked the pitch and now it’s in the low 90s at times with bite). His curveball has gotten better but still lacks command of that pitch, the changeup is still below average and firm (in my most recent look, I didn’t see the no hitter or last start) but he’s been able to land it for strikes as a show me pitch. 

So yeah, he has passed a bunch of guys including Hanifee (still low 90s without feel for a third pitch) and Knight (90-94 fastball is very hittable). He has a good case to pass Lowther, Kremer, and Akin as well although all of those guys have less relief risk so it’s a close call. Those 4 are the same tier for me.

Edit: I know Baumann’s numbers jump at you since the Bowie promotion but he was excellent in Frederick too, his ERA didn’t reflect how well he threw.

He has definitely put together a very nice season at both levels, I wish I could have made it to one of his Frederick starts.

Hanifee and Knight have been pretty disappointing IMO this season, and they were both borderline top 15 in the pre season, at least Knight was I think.

What about Sedlock? He's gotten on track this year as well. Do you think he can stick as a starter, or do you think eventually he'll be in the bullpen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a link to their list of Orioles prospects:  https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2019-in-season-prospect-list?sort=-1,1&type=0&team=bal

This is redundant of a post I just made in the minor league forum, but I can’t help myself.    They list 35 Orioles prospects, and Alex Wells isn’t among them.    Really?   All the guy is doing is leading the Eastern League in ERA at age 22.   I realize his fastball won’t overpower anyone, but the guy gets results, and AA isn’t the low minors.   I understand being skeptical and keeping him off the top 10, maybe even top 20.    But top 35?     That’s crazy.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yes, but he also had this to say about the O's fame system:

One Sentence Summary: One of the more underrated systems in baseball, the Orioles have done a terrific job of building for the long term in a short period of time.

That's especially impressive since I read somewhere that Elias has done nothing but play video games and eat pork rinds since he got hired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's especially impressive since I read somewhere that Elias has done nothing but play video games and eat pork rinds since he got hired.

Cool we have a stoner GM. He is probably letting Sig do all the work. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...