Sign in to follow this  
RZNJ

How many nuggets have we found this year

33 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

That Sisco throw that went into CF the other night was the ugliest throwing motion from a catcher I think I've ever seen. To describe his arm action as long would be the biggest understatement I've seen in a while.

His framing is bad, he’s throwing is laughable, his ability to tag seems to be bad as well, I’m not sure what else you want in a catcher. Maybe he’s good at blocking balls in the dirt. But we just need somebody to sit behind the plate for a year until AR is ready. “Just relax and let the hate feel you.”

7 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I don’t know what Hanser Alberto needs to do to get some love around here...

Be consistent. Everybody in the major leagues can have a good day or a good week or a good throw, the good major leaguers are those who do it consistently.

9 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

If you think the Orioles need 25-40 new players to be competitive in 2022 I have some news for you, you ain't going to be competitive in 2022.

We do have a pretty decent farm system now, with lots of guys 1-2 years away. In fact, I think we'll see many of them in Baltimore in 2020. Rutchman won't take 2+ years to develop. In fact, he will probably be up sometime next year, if I had to guess. Lots can change in 2 years regarding prospect status for a bunch of players. Free Agency is a thing, too. 

it's not inconceivable to think that we're a full roster churn away from our next competitive team. Means is the closest guy I can think of that might still be here, but only because he's just begun his ML clock. But you have a good point, if this is the case, 2022 could be too soon.

6 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Do something besides hit for singles?  Don't get me wrong I like the guy, I want him to do well, and I'll be honest the some times traditionalist in me likes seeing a "sexy" batting average.  But, his game is built predominantly around one thing barring some sudden walk spree, XBH or HR binge.

• Upvote 1

I worry that the league has Means figured out, his honeymoon is over and the decline has started. He hasn’t been terrible lately, but he has definitely regressed. Now it is up to him to compensate, otherwise he’s just a half year wonder.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

His framing is bad, he’s throwing is laughable, his ability to tag seems to be bad as well, I’m not sure what else you want in a catcher. Maybe he’s good at blocking balls in the dirt. But we just need somebody to sit behind the plate for a year until AR is ready. “Just relax and let the hate feel you.”

I kind of dislike the idea of Sisco as a placeholder though.  

I know it's still small sample size territory and he was really bad last year but I think he could really contribute offensively.  He looks much improved at the plate and shows a good eye.  I'd like to see them try him at third where they don't have any prospects that would be up in the near future.  But he probably ends up at first which would only work if they cut Davis, trade Mancini, and Mountcastle is acceptable in LF. 

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

I worry that the league has Means figured out, his honeymoon is over and the decline has started. He hasn’t been terrible lately, but he has definitely regressed. Now it is up to him to compensate, otherwise he’s just a half year wonder.

Kinda like the quality of your posts.

I KID, I KID.  Saw an opening, couldn't resist.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

I'm sure you'll be fine with that as long as Eric Nadel doesn't regress.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I kind of dislike the idea of Sisco as a placeholder though.  

I know it's still small sample size territory and he was really bad last year but I think he could really contribute offensively.  He looks much improved at the plate and shows a good eye.  I'd like to see them try him at third where they don't have any prospects that would be up in the near future.  But he probably ends up at first which would only work if they cut Davis, trade Mancini, and Mountcastle is acceptable in LF. 

The problem is now that his offense isn’t anything to write home about. His strikeout rate is down, which is genuine improvement, but everything else doesn’t compensate for his defense. If he can’t throw, first base is the best place for him, but good heavens, don’t we have a million of those already?

24 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

We do have a pretty decent farm system now, with lots of guys 1-2 years away. In fact, I think we'll see many of them in Baltimore in 2020. Rutchman won't take 2+ years to develop. In fact, he will probably be up sometime next year, if I had to guess. Lots can change in 2 years regarding prospect status for a bunch of players. Free Agency is a thing, too. 

it's not inconceivable to think that we're a full roster churn away from our next competitive team. Means is the closest guy I can think of that might still be here, but only because he's just begun his ML clock. But you have a good point, if this is the case, 2022 could be too soon.

I hope you are correct and I think there is a path.  Unlike most I think that path requires and should include $25-$35 million in free agent contract over the next two years.

Most midseason publications have the Orioles with 5 top 100 prospects.  Thats a real big deal. And I would like to see some competitive pieces in place before they all fully arrive.

But the point I keep trying to impress on people is that roster construction of an emerging competitive team is rarely three to four years of adding solely from the farm system.  It requires hitting right on value based free agents. It requires finding an overlooked player (Thames, Aguilar,...Chris Davis).  And it generaly include a few players who were around when the team wasnt so great maybe were once counted on up and comers but become decent depth.

I think there is more than just John Means who fills that role on this team.

And if you don't think those players exist on this team, and you (generic you) think the team shouldnt be adding free agents in the next two years, it is going be extremely hard to have a competitive team in 2022.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Kinda like the quality of your posts.

I KID, I KID.  Saw an opening, couldn't resist.

I’m going to talk to Eric, and he’s going to take you off his Christmas list…

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Hit right handed pitching might help.

40 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Do something besides hit for singles?  Don't get me wrong I like the guy, I want him to do well, and I'll be honest the some times traditionalist in me likes seeing a "sexy" batting average.  But, his game is built predominantly around one thing barring some sudden walk spree, XBH or HR binge.

I agree.  I really like Hanser and he's leading the majors in BA against lefties.  He's a guy that has a place on a team where someone hitting .300 with a .305 OBP can be somewhat hidden.

Not sure how much of a nugget he is for us in where we are in the rebuild.  But he's fun.  

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

The problem is now that his offense isn’t anything to write home about. His strikeout rate is down, which is genuine improvement, but everything else doesn’t compensate for his defense. If he can’t throw, first base is the best place for him, but good heavens, don’t we have a million of those already?

How many runs would you say his throwing has cost the O's?