Sign in to follow this  
OFFNY

vs. PADRES, 7/30

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I’ll say this. He gets the most out of his talents.  

He sure does. I don't completely agree with Palmer when he says that he doesn't have major league stuff. I would think if that were true, he'd be getting pounded every outing and would be looking a lot worse at this point. His velocity is lower than advertised, but he somehow gets outs. He's like the thing that should not be. It only makes me more intrigued with him. I have a soft spot for soft tossers, I guess.

I don't get the quick hook here. What we need is length and as little bullpen usage as possible. Why let him hit? Why take him out just as he had settled down? I don't get Hyde here..

I mean I would not have wanted him to face that part of the order again either. Plus I know only 3 bench players.  

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

I don't get the quick hook here. What we need is length and as little bullpen usage as possible. Why let him hit? Why take him out just as he had settled down? I don't get Hyde here..

Only thing I can think is the small bench with only 3 bats, one being a catcher. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Only thing I can think is the small bench with only 3 bats, one being a catcher. 

I've wondered before if Givens could passably fill in at short or second for an inning or two if needed.

Just now, eddie83 said:

It's possible. I am not sure what his plan is with Eshelman, though. If you want him to be a starter, then don't pull him after 60-70 pitches all the time especially while he's going well. Oh well, another rough first inning followed by three relatively solid innings. I think he has some potential, but Hyde has to stop quick hooking him if they are to figure out how much there is if any.

That is so close. It looks like the ball is there a split second before he gets to first, but probably not enough to overturn.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've wondered before if Givens could passably fill in at short or second for an inning or two if needed.

Would think so in an emergency.