AceKing

Why so many LOOOOONG Home Runs?

Didn't Santander hit one onto Eutaw? I think it's just the way the balls are flying this season.

Go here for more info: 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

Long HR? There has been one 500 ft. HR this year. Babe Ruth hit 49 500 + ft HR in his career.

Never heard that one before.   Source?

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Long HR? There has been one 500 ft. HR this year. Babe Ruth hit 49 500 + ft HR in his career.

Measured after they stopped rolling.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Measured after they stopped rolling.

No .Based on combination of film, newspaper accounts and stadium diagrams..

4 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I like the one that supposedly went between 600-650 feet.  Seems realistic.

Counterpoint-

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/news/a28423/aaron-judge-longest-possible-home-run/

Consider Nathan's ideal home run, hit with 120-mph exit velocity at a 26-degree launch angle. If Giancarlo Stanton hit that ball on a 70-degree day, at sea level, with no wind and 50 percent relative humidity, then Nathan's calculations show the ball will travel 492 feet.

Now think of the perfect home run on the perfect day. Go to Denver, where the air density is lower, and make it a hot day, which decreases air density even more. Then add a small breeze of 5 mph blowing out. "That is the perfect storm," Nathan says. On this day, his perfect home run flies 560 feet.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

474'  Past Earl's statue.

They have to put one of those Eutaw street metal baseballs out there. It would be the only one there, correct?

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I agree that most of these guys are completely replaceable...but it would likely be trading better players than these to get players that can probably be picked up for nothing.   Not sure what or who you think the Os should trade.
    • I cannot imagine how Cot’s projects Sanchez at $4 mm.   We’re talking about a guy who was non-tendered in 2019, was signed to a minor league deal by the Giants and later released, then was signed to a minor league contract by the White Sox and released again.    If the O’s offer him any kind of major league deal he should jump at it.
    • Who said anything about teams taking on these players?
    • You really think there are teams out there that want to take on these guys and go to arbitration with them?
    • I have zero desire to see Mullins get any amount of significant playing time and I have serious doubts the Os do either.  He has a spot on the team as your 4th/5th OFer type guy but he shouldn’t be anything more than that. Stewart I can see but, the team is telling us they will platoon him at best and his injury history isn’t exactly on his side. Not to mention, he does have an option remaining, so he could be in AAA.    Stewart brings a better walk rate but not sure what he can provide in the field (which isn’t much at all) makes up for anything else.  Not like Nunez is way older or super expensive. If Nunez was making 5+ million, it would be different.  But we are talking 2ish million here.  It’s nothing and his roster spot blocks nothing to begin the year. Again, this is 100% money driven...not roster management driven.
    • Right, but Stewart and Mullins get fewer AB's with Hays and Santander starting.  Also, all 3 bats you have listed are RH.  I'm not arguing the point that Nunez offers some level of relatively cheap production.  He does.  It's just that what he currently offers doesn't hold a lot of value.   My only concern, voiced by Frobby, is that a player, at 26, and after 2 years, may have another level in him.  The Orioles obvious don't feel that way about Nunez.  If Nunez is what he is, I have no problem giving his AB's to Stewart and Mullins.  If he has no trade value at all, then I can live with releasing him and saving 1.5M, or the difference between him and someone making the minimum. 
  • Popular Contributors