Bahama O's Fan

Guys Being Dropped by other Teams; Interested?

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Yeah, that's another one we should take a look at. How old is he?

Why not just use the guys in the O’s minors? These guys were dropped for a reason. 

9 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why not just use the guys in the O’s minors? These guys were dropped for a reason. 

One of which could be that those teams they were on are more talented than ours. They could be better than what we have in the minors. Why not? So what if they stink?

52 minutes ago, weams said:

There is that. 

Because he’s been injured for two years, basically. Very disappointing. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Oscar De la Cruz was my first thought too

Would be a bit like carrying another rule 5 pick but he'd be worth a look 

De La Cruz has two options remaining. 91-97 FB with a 55 Curve ball and 50 Change up. Became strictly a RP this season. Good K rate. 

I’m an easy sell on DFAd players especially free top 30 prospects and considering the dead weight that’s on the 40 man currently. 

People laugh at DFA players but look what’s on the 40 man now,

Tayler Scott

Chandler Shepperd 

I’ll dive deeper.  Here are some other names,

Luis Gohara LH SP ATL Has options, currently recovering from shoulder surgery, turned 23 yesterday, made his debut in 2017 at age 20. Former top prospect. Pre-2018  BA has him as the #28 prospect. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=gohara000lui

There have been moves made by teams to take advantage of teams with a 40 man crunch. We have not participated so far. The Yanks gave away Harvey a reliever. The Rays gave away McCarthy to the Giants. The Brewers dumped Marcus Diplan, who was a AA SP prospect. The Cubs have De La Cruz in DFA limbo now, who’d be around a top 30 prospect for us. 

Theoretically we have an upcoming 40 man roster crunch. But really... we’re not exactly over flowing with talent. We have some guys that we have to add, and we should. But at the end of the season we could DFA/Non tender, 

Davis, Villar, Castro, Peterson, Wynns, Shepherd, Tay Scott, Brooks, Eshelman with ease. 

Then we have guys who are/were “prospects” but haven’t really done anything,

Martin, Hess, Carroll, Phillips, Rogers.

The idea of us having a 40 man roster crunch is classic fanbase overvaluing players.  I’m not saying all of these guys should go, or that they have none of them could be a productive player for us.  

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 3

I don't see how you pass on Gohara, he's exactly what this organization is looking for. Medicals are the big thing, but Just turned 23, Lefty. If he regains his stuff, he'd not just become a starter option, he'd become a front of the rotation piece.

I was hoping for Gohara in previous trade possibilities last year, so I agree that he'd be a worthy addition if we can acquire him. I also agree that any talent we can sign that is better than the talent we have, it should be done (pending potential off-the-field issues.)

13 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

So was Asher Wojo

So was JD Martinez

So was ...

Change of scenery matters.  

13 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

As far as I can tell, we have gotten the following that are on the 40 man from either a waiver claim or trade following a DFA. 1/3 of the roster. No reason to ignore a way to get people into the system.

Shawn Armstrong

Richard Bleier

Miguel Castro

Paul Fry

Chandler Shepherd

Tayler Scott

Hanser Alberto

Renato Nunez

Jace Peterson

Jose Rondon

Rio Ruiz

Pedro Severino