Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ScGO's

Inventory Year - Phase Two

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The answer is they are probably just not talented, but the answer is we’re going to have to fire Brocail if we want to try for different results. Elias shouldn’t sit back and have a repeat of this year with the same players getting the same coaching. 

Given what Brocail has had to work with, I don't know how any of us could accurately say he did a great job or a lousy job or anything in between.

And there is zero reason to think Elias is going to sit back and have a repeat with the same players. He'll bring in several new guys. The offseason should be really interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Really what have we found out pitching wise this year?  

- Means is a solid/consistent mid rotation LH. 

- Bundy is a back end rotation arm. 

- Givens is a “good” set up RH but needs to face RH in the 6th-8th Innings. 

- Wojo could be a #5 or BP arm. 

- Harvey showed flashes. 

Did we learn anything else?  This is the most troubling thing to me. We threw 50 pitchers against the wall in MLB and AAA, and only the above had a “successful” year. 

This was a train wreck year P wise. We can’t even get these guys pitching ok out of the pen. The Bowie gang will just be touching AAA next year. We’re stuck with the same guys again next year.

The answer is they are probably just not talented, but the answer is we’re going to have to fire Brocail if we want to try for different results. Elias shouldn’t sit back and have a repeat of this year with the same players getting the same coaching. 

We learned that Hess, Brooks, Straily, Ynoa, Eshelman, and Yacabonis are garbage. Does that count?

I don't know what you expected in a rebuild year when none of our top pitching prospects are developmentally ready and bringing them up would be a waste of service time. In terms of future core, I don't know what else we could have learned when you are playing with other teams' castoffs.

I wonder how much difference a better catcher could make for these guys. Sisco and Severino were both terrible in just about all phases.

Fortunately, we had a lot of positive news in the minors this year. It's just going to take time to see if they develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Safe to assume they will be on opening day roster or at least a trade asset this offseason) - John Means, Mychal Givens, Paul Fry, Shawn Armstrong, Dylan Bundy, Miguel Castro, Jonathan Villar, Pedro Severino, Trey Mancini Renato Nunez, Anthony Santander, Hanser Alberto

Earned a 40 man spot, if not an opening day spot

Austin Hays - Next year's starting CF? Small sample size, but its starting to look like it

DJ Stewart - If Mancini is traded or moved to 1B permanently, he could be a starting corner outfielder next season. 

Hunter Harvey - Future closer? Can he stay healthy?

Dillon Tate - Lots of movement on his pitches; still getting used to new role in the BP

Tanner Scott- I think Harvey, Tate, and Scott could develop into a decent back of the BP with more experience

Asher Wojciechowski - Has shown flashes and K's.  I think he's our #5 to start the season

Chance Sisco - OBP skills are nice.  Not sure how they are feeling about him at C, but if he can learn some other positions he might find more value.

Stevie Wilkerson - I think he is our super utility player next year and he could find some value if he is never allowed to face RHP.

Rio Ruiz - .816 OPS in the 2nd half have probably earned him another shot in 2020

Richie Martin - Since he was with the team the whole season without being sent back to the A's, its probably safe to assume he keeps his 40 man spot while working on his game in AAA next season

Could go either way - Half these guys will probably be DFA'd to make way for some new blood

Dwight Smith Jr - I almost listed him as dead weight as I am not a fan of his defense.  However, he can swing it a  little I think he still has an option left so he could start in AAA

Mason Williams - If Santander, Hays, Stewart his your starting OF, he would make a solid 4th OF for next season. Depends on what the plans are for  Mancini and Mountcastle

Gabriel Ynoa- I still think he's our long reliever/emergency starter next year

Evan Phillips - Looks good at times, still needs some more evaluation time in my opinion.

Branden Kline - Struggled, but shows some flashes, and it was his rookie year, albeit at age 27

Tayler Scott - Might be able to pass through waivers. Seems management wants more evaluation time for the South African.

Eric Hanhold - New blood hasn't been thrown to the wolves yet

Richard Bleier - Not a very fun 2019 for him.  Maybe management hopes he can return to 2017-2018 form next year.  Could also be time for the 32 year old to move on.

Chandler Shepherd - Probably needs more evaluation. Finished AAA season well.  Does he get another start this Sept?

Ryan Eades - Another who I think would pass through waivers.  Still not happy about him giving up the granny in Det, but management might see something I don't

Austin Wynns - He's a solid glove to have, especially with Sisco and Severino being anything but perfect behind the plate.  He is getting older and he isn't much of a bat though.

Luis Ortiz - Lost 2019, only 23.  Not sure if he'd pass through waivers with his former prospect status.  Try again in AAA next season?

Cody Carroll - Started a rehab stint at the end of the year.  If healthy for 2020 he could be a big league option at some point

Cedric Mullins - Sounds like he is going to retool and rethink his game this offseason.  Enough athleticism may keep him on the 40 man roster.  He would be claimed on waivers in my opinion.

Dead weight - Time to cut

Chris Davis - He might make it to ST, but I think its time to let go

Mark Trumbo - FA won't be resigned

Aaron Brooks - Could probably pass through waivers.  Would hope there is a more exciting option for next year's rotation

David Hess - straightest fastball in the MLB, probably loses his spot for new blood, but I'd assume he'd make it through waivers at this point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Safe to assume they will be on opening day roster or at least a trade asset this offseason) - John Means, Mychal Givens, Paul Fry, Shawn Armstrong, Dylan Bundy, Miguel Castro, Jonathan Villar, Pedro Severino, Trey Mancini Renato Nunez, Anthony Santander, Hanser Alberto

Earned a 40 man spot, if not an opening day spot

Austin Hays - Next year's starting CF? Small sample size, but its starting to look like it

DJ Stewart - If Mancini is traded or moved to 1B permanently, he could be a starting corner outfielder next season. 

Hunter Harvey - Future closer? Can he stay healthy?

Dillon Tate - Lots of movement on his pitches; still getting used to new role in the BP

Tanner Scott- I think Harvey, Tate, and Scott could develop into a decent back of the BP with more experience

Asher Wojciechowski - Has shown flashes and K's.  I think he's our #5 to start the season

Chance Sisco - OBP skills are nice.  Not sure how they are feeling about him at C, but if he can learn some other positions he might find more value.

Stevie Wilkerson - I think he is our super utility player next year and he could find some value if he is never allowed to face RHP.

Rio Ruiz - .816 OPS in the 2nd half have probably earned him another shot in 2020

Richie Martin - Since he was with the team the whole season without being sent back to the A's, its probably safe to assume he keeps his 40 man spot while working on his game in AAA next season

Could go either way - Half these guys will probably be DFA'd to make way for some new blood

Dwight Smith Jr - I almost listed him as dead weight as I am not a fan of his defense.  However, he can swing it a  little I think he still has an option left so he could start in AAA

Mason Williams - If Santander, Hays, Stewart his your starting OF, he would make a solid 4th OF for next season. Depends on what the plans are for  Mancini and Mountcastle

Gabriel Ynoa- I still think he's our long reliever/emergency starter next year

Evan Phillips - Looks good at times, still needs some more evaluation time in my opinion.

Branden Kline - Struggled, but shows some flashes, and it was his rookie year, albeit at age 27

Tayler Scott - Might be able to pass through waivers. Seems management wants more evaluation time for the South African.

Eric Hanhold - New blood hasn't been thrown to the wolves yet

Richard Bleier - Not a very fun 2019 for him.  Maybe management hopes he can return to 2017-2018 form next year.  Could also be time for the 32 year old to move on.

Chandler Shepherd - Probably needs more evaluation. Finished AAA season well.  Does he get another start this Sept?

Ryan Eades - Another who I think would pass through waivers.  Still not happy about him giving up the granny in Det, but management might see something I don't

Austin Wynns - He's a solid glove to have, especially with Sisco and Severino being anything but perfect behind the plate.  He is getting older and he isn't much of a bat though.

Luis Ortiz - Lost 2019, only 23.  Not sure if he'd pass through waivers with his former prospect status.  Try again in AAA next season?

Cody Carroll - Started a rehab stint at the end of the year.  If healthy for 2020 he could be a big league option at some point

Cedric Mullins - Sounds like he is going to retool and rethink his game this offseason.  Enough athleticism may keep him on the 40 man roster.  He would be claimed on waivers in my opinion.

Dead weight - Time to cut

Chris Davis - He might make it to ST, but I think its time to let go

Mark Trumbo - FA won't be resigned

Aaron Brooks - Could probably pass through waivers.  Would hope there is a more exciting option for next year's rotation

David Hess - straightest fastball in the MLB, probably loses his spot for new blood, but I'd assume he'd make it through waivers at this point

I don't  think Fry, Armstrong and Wojo will be protected from the Rule 5 draft.  There are still a few games left.  Things could change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

I don't  thing Fry, Armstrong and Wojo will be protected from the Rule 5 draft.  There are still a few games left.  Things could change.

Would it be because they aren't eligible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I don't  thing Fry, Armstrong and Wojo will be protected from the Rule 5 draft.  

You mean they will be DFA'd.  Possibly but lack of depth and some strong peripherals keep them around in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would it be because they aren't eligible?

If they are not protected they become FA.   So no that does not matter.   I think the O's could offer them minor league contracts but I don't doubt the O's see them as guys the have to be on the roster at Rule 5 time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

You mean they will be DFA'd.  Possibly but lack of depth and some strong peripherals keep them around in my opinion.

Armstrong has a 1.48 WHIP,  Fry !.41 WHIP.  What is strong about that?   Wojo is 31 and has 5.38 ERA.     I would think the Elias thinks he can do better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Armstrong has a 1.48 WHIP,  Fry !.41 WHIP.  What is strong about that?   Wojo is 31 and has 5.38 ERA.     I would think the Elias thinks he can do better.


Armstrong has 9.9 K/9, and has been solid except for a terrible August.

Fry's FIP is a full run lower than his ERA. 8.9 K/9 ain't bad.  Also a terrible August didn't help. 

They have also been work horses as they have pitched in a lot of games.  I think the experience will carry over to better numbers next year.

But maybe not.  I don't see any better options arriving through waivers or free agency. I think they are on the opening day roster for sure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ScGO's said:


Armstrong has 9.9 K/9, and has been solid except for a terrible August.

Fry's FIP is a full run lower than his ERA. 8.9 K/9 ain't bad.  Also a terrible August didn't help. 

They have also been work horses as they have pitched in a lot of games.  I think the experience will carry over to better numbers next year.

But maybe not.  I don't see any better options arriving through waivers or free agency. I think they are on the opening day roster for sure.

 

Good points.  You have me thinking and doing more research.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet again, when I speak DFA about Brooks, he throws another gem.  Not sure how I feel about him in the long run, but he helped his cause for 2020 tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Houston has also been able to acquire arms late in the draft or cheaply in the international market and develop them into trade assets. I'm prepping for Rule 5 draft stuff and it's unbelievable how many good arms they have in the minors that came out of nowhere (10+ round pick or older international signees). They all throw hard and miss bats. 
    • Hopefully the Nats finish this thing off today.  They have gone I think 81-40 since starting 19-31.  That is remarkable.  The Cardinals do what they always do in October....overachieve.  Thankfully, they are about to get stuffed by the much better team.  This will be a really good WS matchup regardless of who comes out of the AL. 
    • Eh, I don't really buy that in this case.  Liberatore is a lefty, has better mechanics, and more projection remaining, so I think there is a fair case for Liberatore then and now. It's really close though, Rodriguez is the better pitch at the moment, but no one really cares who is the better pitcher at 19 in low A ball. 
    • The old Liberatore vs Rodriguez debate. I think most “experts” will always try and rank Liberatore slightly higher than Rodriguez because they all criticized the O’s for “reaching” for Rodriguez. 
    • Someone pointed out before that Vaughn got pitched around his last year in NCAA. Let’s see what happens to Torkelson when/if he gets that treatment.  I don’t see how we could draft Torkelson.  Even if we trade Mancini, Mountcastle is still likely a 1B.  When team building I don’t think you pencil in your future 1B and DH spots first.   I’d like to see us draft a bat, but if the best SP is available then I’m open to that. I think that bats are safer picks and would help the system more.  Hopefully Detroit makes a mistake at 1:1 and we get the player Elias thinks is #1 overall. Lots of baseball to play till the draft. 
    • HOU got burned with taking Pitchers Appel and Aiken high. HOU has been grow the bats and buy the arms since then. Using their prospect bats to acquire proven SP.  I do think bats are safer picks over pitchers. Last draft we took lots of bats compared to pitchers. It could’ve been lots of factors at play, but I think it was a strategic decision.  Not having the number one pick in next years’ draft means we’ll likely be deciding on the 2nd best SP, Torkelson, or other NCAA and HS bats.    
    • I hope Buck gets the Phillies job. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...