Sign in to follow this  
OFFNY

vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/03

Ok, explain to me why Givens couldn’t move to short for the 8th, Tate pitches the 8th, and then Givens moves back to the mound for what would amount to a four-out save?

is that within the rules? Is it a better idea than letting Givens keep pitching?

asking for a friend...

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

With that approach, most of the no hitters thrown would have never been thrown. He's no hitting the other team with a 4-0 lead. Aside from an injury, no way should he be pulled from that. It's a historic accomplishment and yes, one that should be afforded to the player in certain situations.

Obviously I don't agree or care if fewer would have been thrown in the past.

How about that Johan Santana no hitter?  That piece of history was worth the cost right?

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Ok, explain to me why Givens couldn’t move to short for the 8th, Tate pitches the 8th, and then Givens moves back to the mound for what would amount to a four-out save?

is that within the rules? Is it a better idea than letting Givens keep pitching?

asking for a friend...

That's gotta mess with the DH but'm not sure of the rule.

Plus Givens hasn't played short in 6 years?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Obviously I don't agree or care if fewer would have been thrown in the past.

How about that Johan Santana no hitter?  That piece of history was worth the cost right?

What cost would that be? He sprained his ankle a couple weeks later, didn't he? His shoulder that was already ruined that had nothing to do with it? Do you think Santana wished he never threw it? I do care if fewer were thrown. They are accomplishments of greatness that very few pitchers are capable of at all.

Just now, Sessh said:

What cost would that be? He sprained his ankle a couple weeks later, didn't he? His shoulder that was already ruined that had nothing to do with it? Do you think Santana wished he never threw it? I do care if fewer were thrown. They are accomplishments of greatness that very few pitchers are capable of at all.

To a large degree they are matters of luck and happenstance.  Is a pitcher's performance less dominant because the center fielder was standing two feet further back when a pitch was thrown?

Throwing a no hitter is not a measure of greatness.

9 minutes ago, scOtt said:

That's gotta mess with the DH but'm not sure of the rule.

Plus Givens hasn't played short in 6 years?

I’m just wondering if that’s the kind of think it would be feasible. I’m sure he’s done some infield work over the years, but because he was a good shortstop it would probably be easy to work that into the game strategy if the rules allow it

4 minutes ago, Sessh said:

https://www.nj.com/mets/2015/06/mets_terry_collins_still_has_regrets_about_johan_s.html

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

To a large degree they are matters of luck and happenstance.  Is a pitcher's performance less dominant because the center fielder was standing two feet further back when a pitch was thrown?

You are correct in that there is a luck involved, but there’s also skill involved, but the main thing is rarity. It’s like a four leaf clover, they are cool because they are rare. Actually lots of things are less common, I think hitting for the cycle is less common, four homerun games are extremely rare, immaculate innings are extremely rare(and new for that matter) but rare remains history and should never be passed up.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I’m just wondering if that’s the kind of think it would be feasible. I’m sure he’s done some infield work over the years, but because he was a good shortstop it would probably be easy to work that into the game strategy if the rules allow it

Well it's not against the rules I'm sure. I just think you'd lose your DH.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is Nolan Ryan great? 

Just now, scOtt said:

Well it's not against the rules I'm sure. I just think you'd lose your DH.

Ok that’s part of what I was wondering.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

You are correct in that there is a luck involved, but there’s also skill involved, but the main thing is rarity. It’s like a four leaf clover, they are cool because they are rare. Actually lots of things are less common, I think hitting for the cycle is less common, four homerun games are extremely rare, immaculate innings are extremely rare(and new for that matter) but rare remains history and should never be passed up.

Unassisted triple plays are even less common than perfect games.