Sign in to follow this  
OFFNY

vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/03

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Armando Galarraga should have had a perfect game, was he great?

I have no clue. Nolan Ryan certainly was, and seven no-hitters is a large part of that.

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

No hitters are about the same type of thing as hitting for the cycle...interesting but flukish...there have been 302 no hitters and 325 cycles ...about the same frequency.,

I find no hitters to be a more impressive feat. To go through an order 3-4 times and recording 27 outs without allowing a single hit requires incredible endurance, focus and consistency. Some luck, sure. Some help from defenders, but you need that in every single game you pitch. The hardest part of the cycle is getting the triple, but of course, you need a pitcher to make mistakes which is luck. Hitting those pitches hard isn't luck though you may need a misplay or bobble in the outfield to get the triple. Neither of those make the feat any less impressive.

Both are fun, but to throw a no hitter, you've got to have everything working. It may be the only time you're ever on and your career may be over next year because a no hitter doesn't make you a great pitcher, but it means you were one of the best pitchers to ever take the mound for one night. Especially throwing one in a time when everyone was on PEDs from the 50's/60's through the mid-late 2000's is especially impressive. Everyone remembers them. You immortalize yourself in history. People will still be watching it years or decades later. Feats like that make the sport richer. It seems awfully cheap to reduce it to being a fluke or some stroke of luck.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The article wasn't about Santana having regrets.

I know, it was about his manager having regrets about letting him do it.

3 hours ago, Sessh said:

Sanchez no hitter through six.

Dammit, the guy has a 6.06 ERA, a 1.686 WHIP, he's traded to the Astros, they sprinkle some of that Astro dust on him, and three days later he's pitching a no hitter.

How do they do it???

I just hope Elias smuggled some Astro dust out of Houston and we can start magically improving every pitcher who puts on an Oriole uniform.

3 hours ago, scOtt said:

In Bo's day he would have just freight trained the catcher. 😛

He did that to Dempsey, put Rick on the DL.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Ok, explain to me why Givens couldn’t move to short for the 8th, Tate pitches the 8th, and then Givens moves back to the mound for what would amount to a four-out save?

is that within the rules? Is it a better idea than letting Givens keep pitching?

asking for a friend...

Could have been done.   You lose the DH, that's all.