Sign in to follow this  
OFFNY

Trying to Salvage a Split (vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/04)

I’ve been pretty consistently down on the oriole broadcast crew this summer, with the exception of Gary Thorne, but I’m coming around on Dave Johnson. He’s not a homer, his commentary is intelligent and insightful, and he tends to avoid dumb “schtick”

He’s only Problem is vocabulary, he’s not really an interesting speaker. But overall, he and Gary are the guys I would like to keep. Everybody else can be designated for assignment.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I’ve been pretty consistently down on the oriole broadcast crew this summer, with the exception of Gary Thorne, but I’m coming around on Dave Johnson. He’s not a homer, his commentary is intelligent and insightful, and he tends to avoid dumb “schtick”

He’s only Problem is vocabulary, he’s not really an interesting speaker. But overall, he and Gary are the guys I would like to keep. Everybody else can be designated for assignment.

I'd take Palmer over Johnson any day.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Less than Eshelman? At least Yac throws hard.

Remember, and never forget, throwing hard is an ability, and not a skill.

It takes a lot of development, hard work and talent to develop the skill, and the world is full of people who fail.

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

I'd take Palmer over Johnson any day.

Yes I like Palmer too, and his voice is better. I tend to focus on the radio guys  because most of the time I cannot endure the mindless crap they show over gameplay, on the ground that talking about the game is more important than what’s going on on the field, so I actually forgot about Palmer. But Johnson is good, and I love the fact that he’s entirely capable of pointing out how bad a guy is playing, which I find very refreshing.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Remember, and never forget, throwing hard is an ability, and not a skill.

It takes a lot of development, hard work and talent to develop the skill, and the world is full of people who fail.

You can get away with not throwing hard in the majors and some of those guys were exceptional pitchers, but your other skills better be good. Eshelman has been inconsistent with his other skills particularly in the first inning or two for whatever reason.

Just now, Sessh said:

You can get away with not throwing hard in the majors and some of those guys were exceptional pitchers, but your other skills better be good. Eshelman has been inconsistent with his other skills particularly in the first inning or two for whatever reason.

Eshelman is the very definition of “warm body.” If he had excellent command, he’d be something, but no. He’s only here till we pick up a warmer body.

Just now, Philip said:

Yes I like Palmer too, and his voice is better. I tend to focus on the radio guys  because most of the time I cannot endure the mindless crap they show over gameplay, on the ground that talking about the game is more important than what’s going on on the field, so I actually forgot about Palmer. But Johnson is good, and I love the fact that he’s entirely capable of pointing out how bad a guy is playing, which I find very refreshing.

Fair enough. I don't listen to the radio really so I have to take people's words for it. I thought Ben McDonald was okay when he was on the telecast. Dave Johnson I've only heard on.. one of the MASN shows that he was a consistent panelist on that I can't remember the name of. Johnson was hit or miss for me, but bearable. I would prefer him over Bordick for sure.