Sign in to follow this  
DirtyBird

2019 Baysox - The Playoff Push

14 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

Bowie up 4-0, but 2 on for Hagerstown with 0 outs in the 8th. Hopefully they can hold on!

Herb and Luis Gonzalez give up 3.

It's Alvarado time!

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Herb and Luis Gonzalez give up 3.

It's Alvarado time!

Alvarado closes out another one. Ties for the division lead.

Baysox hold off Altoona, Alvarado sets them down in order in the 9th.

Bowie and Erie are now tied for the lead, and Bowie holds the tiebreaker (based on my reading of things).

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, brvn52 said:

Bowie and Erie both lose. Still tied with 7 games to play. 

We need a big game from Lowther tonight. 

Baysox win 3-1 behind a strong start by Zac Lowther and a two inning save by Cristian Alvarez to take a half-game lead.

Erie was rained out against Richmond, they play a double header tomorrow starting at 4:35.

The Athletic article about Baysox prospects from the view of another team's major-league scout is out.

He sees Lowther as a solid #4 MLB starter maybe better, Baumann as a potentially dominant bullpen guy, Alex Wells as a fourth or fifth starter, Mason McCoy as a solid utility type guy (comparing him to John McDonald). Not a fan of McKenna (thinks he bulked up too much and that has cost him twitchiness), thinks Jomar Reyes should try pitching at this point, thinks Zach Jarrett could still be a 4th outfielder, likes Zach Pop.

Note: Diaz was excluded from the piece, as the scout only saw the Baysox when Diaz was on the IL.

Additional highlights

On Cedric Mullins:

Scout’s take: “I just think they really screwed him this year. He’s too good of a prospect, and they were too shitty of a team to do what they did there. I still like this kid, but he looked defeated when I saw him in Triple A, absolutely defeated. Like not even the same kid that you saw come up to the big leagues and play pretty well last year. That’s on their people. That’s a real mishandling. If you have a kid that you think is gonna maybe be an impact leadoff center fielder with speed and a little bit of power — he’s got some pop for a little guy — you live with him for a half year, and you just let him go, especially when you’re so shitty.”

On Cody Sedlock:

Scout’s take: “Ahh, Sedlock. I finally saw him pitch. He reminds me of Jeff Hoffman (a former Blue Jays first-rounder), and that’s not a good thing. He has a really tough time timing himself (through his delivery). He has a lot of length on the back side and very funky body movement, which makes him very inconsistent. To me, he’s soft-looking on the mound. I would like to see him more confident and with a more aggressive presence. I see him as a bottom-end starter, who is probably gonna pitch in the big leagues because he was a first-round pick. But I think he is gonna be too soft, too many walks, too much picking and not enough challenging there.”

Everyone should consider subscribing to The Athletic.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see that Lowther and Wells could fill out the bottom of our rotation cheaply (and perhaps with some upside) and a good bullpen piece in Baumann.  Add those guys to Means and you are pretty solid and cheap at 3, 4, 5 while waiting for Hall and Grayson while Harvey and Baumann could be two strong arms at the back of the bullpen.  I would sign up for that.

I can’t really agree with his take on Mullins.    The guy was making Richie Martin look like Babe Ruth!   I do think there’s some talent there but it’s Mullins’ responsibility to get his head screwed on straight and go out there and perform.   

By the way, Mullins has been playing well down the stretch for Bowie — .878 OPS the last two weeks.    Hopefully he’s finally fighting out of his funk.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can’t really agree with his take on Mullins.    The guy was making Richie Martin look like Babe Ruth!   I do think there’s some talent there but it’s Mullins’ responsibility to get his head screwed on straight and go out there and perform.   

By the way, Mullins has been playing well down the stretch for Bowie — .878 OPS the last two weeks.    Hopefully he’s finally fighting out of his funk.   

It was only 22 games, but I agree that they did have to send him down. As far as him looking defeated, it is tough to say from the outside whether the Orioles could have done anything differently WHEN they sent him down to prevent that, but it isn't like Mullins didn't know that he was scuffling.

Hopefully he and McKenna both have bounce back years next season and give the Orioles some options on what to do in centerfield long term (with Hays also in the mix).

While I can maybe buy into the argument the Orioles could have given Mullins a little longer leash, especially since the number of viable alternatives were so few and far between, nothing about his performance justified it.  He wasn't even playing up to the standards of a fourth outfielder type, he was awful, period.  That's not even taking into account the statement about playing pretty well last year.  I'd argue he was okay at best, certainly not pretty well.  Plenty of people were actually disappointed with what he showed second half last year.  I want the guy to succeed, I hope he gets it together and comes back motivated and shows he can at least play in the big leagues.  But, blaming the Orioles on this one is ridiculous, he didn't deserve his spot.

His take on Mullins was awful. If he had a legit point, he wouldn't have to use "shitty" multiple times.

After Mullins' hot start at the MLB level, he OPS'd .512 in Sept/Oct last season (27 games) and then came out OPS'ing .337 in 2019. If he was "deflated", that is on him. 

Shitty take.

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

His take on Mullins was awful. If he had a legit point, he wouldn't have to use "shitty" multiple times.

After Mullins' hot start at the MLB level, he OPS'd .512 in Sept/Oct last season (27 games) and then came out OPS'ing .337 in 2019. If he was "deflated", that is on him. 

Shitty take.

Not to mention that he was really bad in Spring Training too, with a .151/.262/.377 line in 53 against (on average) AA quality pitching (pitching quality per Baseball Reference). Hays and Diaz were significantly better, but Mullins got the nod anyway due to his hot start last year.