25 Nuggets

I hate the Yankees

13 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's a link to this morning's column by the guy I think is New York newspapers' best baseball writer, Joel Sherman:

https://nypost.com/2019/10/20/yankees-and-aaron-boones-bullpen-strategy-goes-up-in-flames/

“It’s frustrating because the team was built to get the ball to the back end and we got it there and we didn’t get the job done,” Zack Britton said. “That was the message all year [get it to the big relievers].”

Well, Zach did his job.  Don't know why Aroldis is smiling

EHS6rJ4W4AEcBmh?format=jpg&name=medium

20 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's a link to this morning's column by the guy I think is New York newspapers' best baseball writer, Joel Sherman:

https://nypost.com/2019/10/20/yankees-and-aaron-boones-bullpen-strategy-goes-up-in-flames/

Boone is way in over his head. I still can't figure why they replaced Girardi, a real baseball manager, with this guy. Actually, I know. He is a yes man to Cashman.

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Well, Zach did his job.  Don't know why Aroldis is smiling

EHS6rJ4W4AEcBmh?format=jpg&name=medium

That's an expression of pure shock. But it doesn't look good at all. Better to lower your head and walk off the mound quickly.

4 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Boone is way in over his head. I still can't figure why they replaced Girardi, a real baseball manager, with this guy. Actually, I know. He is a yes man to Cashman.

Exactly.  Cashman wanted someone that would implement whatever changes the use of analytics dictated. 

So another Manager that misused one Zach Britton.  

I wonder why all those that blamed Buck Showalter for his mistake are not saying the above.

• Downvote 1

I think Aaron Boone did a good job this year.  There is no way with all of those injuries that the Yankees should have won 103 games.  86 would have made more sense.  So I have to give him some credit for helping this team overachieve so massively.  Of course, part of that is due to scrubs like Urshela deciding to be good for the first time ever.  And LeMahieu has never been this good his entire career.  Or Brett Gardner.  But still. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yup, I'll say it again.  Nats all the way.  Downvote all you want.  Matter of fact, I WANT YOU TO.  

I can't downvote you, but I will say that I understand why many Oriole fans are concerned about a Nationals WS win. Let Houston win, they are far away.

40 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

I wonder why all those that blamed Buck Showalter for his mistake are not saying the above.

Well, the Yankees used their closer. In a tie game. Away. And lost. So Buck lost one way with his closer, Boone another. Same circumstances. 

4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

That was such a hugely intelligent plate appearance by Altuve in that most extreme of pressure situations. He had seen Chapman fall in love a bit with the slider in the previous plate appearance to Springer, throwing it for strike but not throwing that 99-MPH fastball for a strike ...... walking him. And then he throws two fastballs out of the zone to Altuve ...... then strike one with the slider ...... and Altuve anticipating that Chapman is throwing the slider for a strike because he doesn't really want to go 3-1 on him there ...... sure enough, in the zone, a bit of a hanger of a slider ...... BOOM. Brilliant plate appearance.

o

Any plate appearance that ends in a home run is hugely intelligent ........ just kidding. ) xD )  Good post, and good analysis.

o

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yup, I'll say it again.  Nats all the way.  Downvote all you want.  Matter of fact, I WANT YOU TO.  

I always root for the AL representative to the Series....it is just my way.  

2 hours ago, thezeroes said:

How so? He pitched a scoreless eighth inning, in the set-up role he's had the whole season. And he barely got through it unscathed despite loading the bases.

While I'll never root for the Yanks, part of me almost wanted them to demolish everyone else and stand astride MLB with a metaphorical spear driven through the league.  Cackling maniacally, flaunting their $650M in revenues.

It's not completely a coincidence that the Yanks utterly dominated the 1950s, and in the early 60s we got expansion, the draft, teams moving everywhere... Only when the Evil Empire crushes everyone do we stand a chance of MLB really taking proactive steps to subdue them.

But I'll take them losing the pennant.