Snutchy

Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Analogy time:

This is like a golfer who can’t break 120 throwing their club, after a bad shot, in a fundraiser scramble, while playing on a 4 man team that can’t break par.

When I was 13 and playing a lot of golf, I made the mistake of throwing one when my Dad was playing with me.  He looked at me and said “Son, you are not and never will be good enough to throw a club.”   Never forgot it, never threw another one. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've been stating for a while now that I don't think he's putting in the work.

Does that count as questioning his effort?

There hasn't been one significant change by Davis with his batting stance or approach at the plate in the last three years of him slumping. Cal Ripken would change his batting stance between at bats to find his groove. Davis doesn't need to go to that extreme, but try something. Davis continues to stare a strike three down the middle of the plate with zero adjustments. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe he really liked the last season of game of thornes. Maybe he thought the hobbit trilogy should have been 3 movies and not two. Maybe Hyde thinks Khole is the best Kardashian sister? Maybe Hyde likes Beyoncé more than most people and was signing it to himself in the dugout. Maybe Hyde pointed out that he got the first pick in the team's fantasy football draft and Chris didn't. Maybe Hyde just speaks in Shrek quotes and Davis finally got mad of being called "Onion boy" or "Donkey". Who knows, man? 

44 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I can't imagine getting mad when someone else who was mad accidentally hit me on the foot with a helmet unless 1) I was already fed up with him or 2) it hurt like hell. The latter seems really unlikely. 

3) he didn't apologize

There's a lot of smoke around people in the org being put off by Davis' lack of effort and having to constantly cover for him. It's exhausting for him to get up there every night and be terrible but it's also exhausting for Hyde to have to constantly make excuses for why he's still on the team. This scene, while not particularly bad itself, highlights a greater need for this disaster to be over. It's not fair for Davis who clearly knows he's not good enough anymore, it's not fair for Hyde and Elias to have him weighing things down (especially when he's acting like a child on live TV), and it's not fair for the fans. It's pretty pathetic that the Angelos sons (who i think have done good things so far) to let this go on any longer. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've been stating for a while now that I don't think he's putting in the work.

Does that count as questioning his effort?

Me too. I’ll clarify with in game effort. Definitely think he could have tried some different things and the whole Coolbaugh thing was a bad look.

13 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

This gameplan is all about acquiring talent.  They aren't going to spend any money to bring in guys unless they are on bargain deals and look like bounceback candidates.  Maybe 1-2 signings, a few waiver claims and that's it.  Houston had a couple years of drafting near the top to get all of the talent they needed for the main roster, and prospect capital for trades.  Wins and losses are meaningless right now.  Hyde is primarily being judged on his abilities, as well as his staff's abilities, to develop players, using information given to them in a meaningful way, and motivating them outside of wins and losses.  

We've got a long way to go, but some of the early results are looking good in the minors, and I expect the money we are not spending right now is either being banked for the future, or else being put into the development pipeline at some point along the way. 

Diaz and Hays haven’t been all that good, Even Adley isn’t hitting in short season A ball.  The only postition player really doing much is Mountcastle.  We don’t have much pitching in the minors that will be able to contribute next year.  

30 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There hasn't been one significant change by Davis with his batting stance or approach at the plate in the last three years of him slumping. Cal Ripken would change his batting stance between at bats to find his groove. Davis doesn't need to go to that extreme, but try something. Davis continues to stare a strike three down the middle of the plate with zero adjustments. 

Rod Carew would change his stance depending on the count.  Yeah Davis is frustrating,  I think he isn’t the smartest guy in the world.  He went to community college so I am guessing he didn’t have the test scores to get into a 4 year college,

• Downvote 5

I think a lot of people are seeing results and assuming things like practice habits, work ethic, etc, when the vast amount of anecdotal evidence suggests that 1)Davis is a really good guy 2) Davis is a good teammate, results aside 3) Davis works really hard.  The fact is the results just arent there for him, and it's unfortunate to see a downfall like that.  But demonizing the guy and his character because of results is just not a fair process.

My first hope would be for him to get even half way back to what he was, and absent that for him to walk away from the game to go find something that he can exact more joy from.  But I am not going to use this incident as a reason to perform some sort of character assassination as so many are doing.

• Upvote 1

Somewhere DJ Stewart is smiling because nobody is talking anymore about the routine flyball that gave him a concussion. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Jagwar said:

Somewhere DJ Stewart is smiling because nobody is talking anymore about the routine flyball that gave him a concussion. 

Well, that would be good, because if he is smiling, he remembers and that is progress in his recovery.  Of course if he is smiling and it's because he has no recollection of the event at all....

8 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I think a lot of people are seeing results and assuming things like practice habits, work ethic, etc, when the vast amount of anecdotal evidence suggests that 1)Davis is a really good guy 2) Davis is a good teammate, results aside 3) Davis works really hard.  The fact is the results just arent there for him, and it's unfortunate to see a downfall like that.  But demonizing the guy and his character because of results is just not a fair process.

My first hope would be for him to get even half way back to what he was, and absent that for him to walk away from the game to go find something that he can exact more joy from.  But I am not going to use this incident as a reason to perform some sort of character assassination as so many are doing.

We're two years into this debacle. There's no getting back to what he was. This is what he is now. #reality

24 minutes ago, atomic said:

Diaz and Hays haven’t been all that good, Even Adley isn’t hitting in short season A ball.  The only postition player really doing much is Mountcastle.  We don’t have much pitching in the minors that will be able to contribute next year.  

Diaz is OPS's almost .800 in AA, 2 years younger than the league average age. 

.867 OPS in July.

1 minute ago, murph said:

Diaz is OPS's almost .800 in AA, 2 years younger than the league average age. 

.796 OPS in his third year in AA.  And he is older than Mountcastle.