Snutchy

Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

4 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Somehow Buck is now the paragon of what it means to be a good manager? I feel like I live on a different planet to some people.

Buck was a great manager.  Unfortunately for him, evolution also selects for adaptability.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don’t remember much about the Coolbaugh episode. 

Davis says he spent a lot of time in the 2017-18 winter offseason meeting with and working with then hitting coach Scott Coolbaugh on trying to improve.   We all basically believed it.

Midway through the 2018 season, in a telecast, Jim Palmer says he talked to Scott Coolbaugh and Coolbaugh basically said he didn't work with Davis at all during the previous offseason.

5 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Somehow Buck is now the paragon of what it means to be a good manager? I feel like I live on a different planet to some people.

I used leader, not manager. That said, Hyde is hard to assess as an in game manager because, well, he’s fielding a AAA team. Basically he’s a warm body, but I don’t dig the machismo. Give me Buck’s demeanor any time over this nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Yes, Earl was and is who I’ll always identify as the prototypical Orioles manager, far and away ahead of his time.

I only really remember Earl from is ill-fated comeback in 1985-86 and Earl is what I would consider as the prototypical Orioles manager. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I only really remember Earl from is ill-fated comeback in 1985-86 and Earl is what I would consider as the prototypical Orioles manager. 

I was hooked in 1970 when they beat the Reds to win it all. My Dad, who taught me the game, called him The Little General. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Harper went to CC.

For baseball players in can be a strategy.

He was drafted in the fifth round 2 years later.  I doubt it was much of a strategy.

9 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

You could give Hyde the benefit of the doubt here and just chalk it up to frustration, but Hyde shows some generally poor leadership qualities. From his post-game pressers and now to this, it just reeks of bravado.

This team is awful, we all know that. But my goodness, Hyde pales in comparison to true leaders like Buck.

The thing about that Davis situation, what do you gain by saying crap that is sure to spark a response in front of the cameras? Unless Hyde truly has tried everything with Davis and just lost it, but even still. It just doesn’t come across well.

Even when Buck had an awful team, I’ve never seen this. I thought Trembley was a so-so leader, but Hyde makes him look like Buck in comparison.

Hyde has been fine.  Who cares what Davis does at this point.  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

The thing about that Davis situation, what do you gain by saying crap that is sure to spark a response in front of the cameras? Unless Hyde truly has tried everything with Davis and just lost it, but even still. It just doesn’t come across well.

If it gets Davis out of the organization faster, that would be a gain.

• Upvote 3

This is not going to end well. By taking so long to end. As T.S. Eliot wrote in "The Free-Agent Men":

Not with a bomb, but a whimper.

• Upvote 1

World Avoided:

Davis has Hyde to thank for his less than horrific OPS this season.  If he had faced the same percentage of lefties as Villar  his stat line could read:

0.166/0.245/0.290 (0.535 OPS) as opposed to 0.184/0.269/0.323 (0.592 OPS). 

Note: I assumed Davis would continue hitting 0.096/0.145/0.154 versus lefties and 0.205/0.299/0.364 versus righties and assumed he would face 35.4% lefties (Villar's percentage) as opposed to his current 19.7%.  

1 hour ago, Dale said:

World Avoided:

Davis has Hyde to thank for his less than horrific OPS this season.  If he had faced the same percentage of lefties as Villar  his stat line could read:

0.166/0.245/0.290 (0.535 OPS) as opposed to 0.184/0.269/0.323 (0.592 OPS). 

Note: I assumed Davis would continue hitting 0.096/0.145/0.154 versus lefties and 0.205/0.299/0.364 versus righties and assumed he would face 35.4% lefties (Villar's percentage) as opposed to his current 19.7%.  

Last year Davis faced 28.0% lefties.  And hit them better.   His platoon splits are much more drastic this year.    

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

I guess it’s the lawyer in me, but I want more than Roch’s skimpy tweet and partial video clips before assessing exactly what happened here and calling this a DFA-level offense.    They can DFA Davis any time for his lousy play so far as I’m concerned, but I’m not sure yet if this episode really adds anything much to the equation.  

Let's be clear, this is not a DFA offense by itself. His play on the field is why he should be DFA'd. This event should hopefully help that happen sooner than later, but I doubt that will happen as ownership has shown no willingness to allow Elias to release him.

• Upvote 1