Greg Pappas

Baltimore and Maryland Sports Fandom

I'm curious to learn how many posters here are not only Orioles fans, but also fans of the Ravens and Maryland Terrapins. The Ravens and O's are the only two major pro sports franchises, so I imagine quite a few fans are like me in that they root for the Ravens.  However, I wonder if the number of posters that like another NFL team is more than half of our posters? I imagine the Redskins are well-represented as well. 

I also love the Terps, specifically Men's FB & BB, but imagine there are even more posters that have a different college that they support.  I could be wrong about that... just a hunch. 

Where do you stand? Thanks. 

o

I've been a COB since 1971, when I was in first grade.

Those are the teams/franchises that I root for (Colts/Orioles/Bullets.)

o

O's, Ravens, Terps and Caps

I graduated from UMD, but I was a big Terps fan before I ever thought I would go to school there.  Was an almost equally big Hoyas fan as a kid, but I have a hard time caring much about college sports anymore.  I used to go to Baltimore Colts games as a kid, then I was a big Redskins fan until the Ravens came to town.  Now I don't care about the Skins -- kind of enjoy them losing in the Dan Snyder era actually.  Try to root for the Nats sometimes, but since I've lived in LA a long time I'm also kind of a Dodgers and now a Rams fan too.  A bit of an LA Kings fan too.

44 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'm curious to learn how many posters here are not only Orioles fans, but also fans of the Ravens and Maryland Terrapins. The Ravens and O's are the only two major pro sports franchises, so I imagine quite a few fans are like me in that they root for the Ravens.  However, I wonder if the number of posters that like another NFL team is more than half of our posters? I imagine the Redskins are well-represented as well. 

I also love the Terps, specifically Men's FB & BB, but imagine there are even more posters that have a different college that they support.  I could be wrong about that... just a hunch. 

Where do you stand? Thanks. 

Os, Ravens (was Colts for years, then boycotted NFL for years), Terps, and Wizards since they were Baltimore Bullets.

Once a Terp, always a Terp.   🐢  Raised on Redskins, fan of Ravens by osmosis from living in the Baltimore area for almost 20 years.  Caps fan.  Zero interest in the NBA for quite a while.

Ride or die O’s and Navy. Ravens as an AFC stand in. Used to be big on Terps basketball before leaving ACC and Gary retiring but now just generally root for UMD sports due to state loyalty more than anything else.

• Upvote 1

I root for the Orioles and the Buffalo Bills.  I'll root for the Ravens in the playoffs if the Bills are out of them.

My college alma mater plays at the Division III level, so I don't have a strong preference for any Division I team.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Walter Football doesn’t have Queen ranked as an ILB.  What’s up with that?  Other services have Harrison 3rd behind Queen and Murray.  I do like Brooks and Logan Wilson.  Point being, you can get an impact MLB later if a stud drops unexpectedly to 28.  San Fran got Greenlaw in the third last season and he was great for them.
    • Harrison is the 5th ranked MLB according to Walter Football. He's projected by them to be a 3-5 round guy. I would think he's likely a reach in the 3rd much less the 2nd. I'd be ok drafting him for WIL in the 4th, but he's not the stud MLB that I think we need. Conversely, I think Braun or Jordan Brooks would be a better 2nd LB taken by the Ravens. And I think they need 2 guys! I also like Anferee Jennings at the WIL.          
    • I played up to when I was 16.  Couldn’t hit a lick but caught everything hit closes to me.   Turned into a pitcher and could throw the ball up into the eighties at 16.   The coach  I had was more interested in getting to the bar after the game so everything I learned was on my own.  My junior year in high school my buddies talked me into playing lacrosse where i dislocated my right shoulder and could never throw a ball over 50 mph after that. 
    • Well, I got it and started a season.  And Alex Cobb had to LEAVE THE FIRST GAME IN THE SECOND INNING WITH A LEG INJURY.  
    • Never played organized sports.  In my youth, Dad was an alcoholic and Mom did anything she could to keep the family together.  I would just go off by myself with a piece of wood and imitate O's games.  I had every batting stance from each everyday player down to a tee.  And just like "Stankee Classics", the O's won every time. Fortunately, Dad checked himself into AA when I was 14 (?), and never had another drink for the remaining 25 years of his life.  And, it is passed down.  The other 5 siblings are drinkers, but only 2 are full blown alchies.  I haven't had anything in 10+ years and don't miss it. And probably that's why:
    • Are we related?  
    • After I tore one of mine, before it was fixed, I went to a Virginia Tech football game. Big play happened, everyone jumps up, I land slightly awkardly and *bam*.  Shooting pain in my knee.  Agony.  That also happened after tear #2, when my regular doc was on reserve duty, and backup doc said "I don't think you really tore anything, just rest for a week or two and go back to playing soccer." Like a minute into my first game back, same thing, shooting pain in the knee.  Went back to the backup doc, got an MRI, and whatta you know, he said it was the cleanest ACL tear he'd ever seen.
  • Popular Contributors