Tony-OH

Nashville Orioles???

Sorry that was June 2018.  So just over a year ago.  Nothing has really changed other than the source of the rumors, now it's a fringe newspaper instead of some loudmouth lawyer the Bruce Cunningham inexplicably put on the air.

9 minutes ago, esmd said:

*Facepalm* at this thread.  The linked article is clickbait, pure and simple.  Not.  Gonna.  Happen.  Smh.

Tony already addressed this.
giphy.gif

Using a meme of Skip Bayless to scold me for calling something for what it is....clickbait.

The irony.

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

Using a meme of Skip Bayless to scold me for calling something for what it is....clickbait.

The irony.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I didn't say I agree with this article, but posting an article that quotes sources is not irresponsible. Grow up and stop telling what I can or can't post on my site. I've only been doing this since 1996. I think I understated what's irresponsible and what is worth conversation.

4 minutes ago, esmd said:

Sorry that was June 2018.  So just over a year ago.  Nothing has really changed other than the source of the rumors, now it's a fringe newspaper instead of some loudmouth lawyer the Bruce Cunningham inexplicably put on the air.

Olesker has been in Baltimore forever.In his time he was a syndicated columnist based out of the Baltimore Sun.He has even written some books about Baltimore. He used to be tuned in to much of the city.Not sure now.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I said the article was clickbait.  Although I do think that the title of the thread and the text in the first post arguably left Tony's opinion to the veracity of the article in doubt until his later posts clarified it.  That's really neither here nor there.  The main thing is that the article is garbage, IMO.

8 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

FWIW, the Baltimore Post-Examiner is owned by Phillip Anschutz who is known for owning newspapers that are right-wing tabloids. 

Michael Olesker wrote that piece on this and he is as far left as you can get.

Edited by drdelaware

31 minutes ago, esmd said:

Btw, we just did this not even two months ago:

I hope not. One jerk owner Robert Irsay broke my heart when that jerk  moved the Colts. I know the Ravens came to town but to me that doesn’t heal the wound. Indy Colts is BS. I don’t want the Orioles to move. These damn owners don’t care about the fans. Grew up being a Colts fan first then the Orioles. That’s been 60 years of O’s fandom. I sure hope they don’t move. If they do move in the future then I’ll wait to see what happens. 

8 hours ago, weams said:

Without a lease? No. I've been a poster who has warned about 2021 for a long while. I was a Portland speculator myself. But I'd go see them in Nashville. Or Asheville. 

I think there is a very low percentage chance. I'm not saying it's zero, but think the likelihood is similar to winning the power ball.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

Round Rock has a population of 123,000, and is close to Austin, which is the 11th largest city in the United States, believe it or not.  Population 947,000.  Austin is also 80 miles from San Antonio, the 7th largest city in the U.S (1,530,000).  Seems to me the Austin/San Antonio area would be very viable for a MLB team.

Maybe...just not the Orioles.   

9 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

Last year we were the worst team in baseball. We didn’t have the worst attendance, or the second worst, or even the third worst.

Just five years ago, in 2014, we had the 14th best attendance out of all 30 teams.

Camden Yards consistently gets ranked as one of the top 5 stadiums in baseball, by national news outlets.

Also, many East Coast cities, like Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Atlanta are rapidly growing, as more and more college-educated millennials opt to buy houses in and around them, instead of moving out to the suburbs. I think the city will find new local buyers and Baltimore will continue to grow and improve over the next twenty years.

If you're using growth of the city (especially with educated professionals) - I don't know that you would want to compare Baltimore to Nashville.  That is one of the hottest markets in the country right now.  It is a "happening" city and I enjoy it there.

The Angelos family moving the O's to Nashville might just be what the city of Baltimore needs.  As others have said the Rays would then just move to Baltimore.  It's not like the Angeloses can take Camden Yards with them.  I dare the Angelos family to move to Nashville.  Why fail in a real sports city when you can fail in a fake one?  Is John Angelos a wannabe country singer like his dad is a wannabe owner?  

16 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

If you're using growth of the city (especially with educated professionals) - I don't know that you would want to compare Baltimore to Nashville.  That is one of the hottest markets in the country right now.  It is a "happening" city and I enjoy it there.

Nashville is absolutely a great city in lots of ways...as many, if not most, cities are..but that doesn’t necessarily mean it would be a great baseball supporting city...

Nashville’s media market for the Titans includes all of Tennessee and a portion of Kentucky and it is still has significantly less viewers and attendance than the Ravens market.  Their AAA team fan attendance has not even been at the top of its own minor league despite a brand new stadium. 

Sometimes cities that are “happening” end up with a lot of people doing a lot of those activities, i.e. music, microbreweries, whatever  rather than attending another home baseball game of a last place team.    Particularly if there is zero ML baseball tradition to be passed generationally in the fan base. 

• Upvote 1