Sign in to follow this  
Aglets

Preseason Game 2: Packers at Ravens 8/15

Hopefully we get to see a bit more of the first team offense and it does ok.

Anything else we should be looking for?

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:41 AM, Aglets said:

Anything else we should be looking for?

The trainers to stay off the field. :)

Few thoughts:

1. Dixon (Roster Bubble as #4 RB)

2. Jaleel Scott (#6 WR?) & Miles Boykin (Build on last week)

3. Gerald Willis (Future Playmaker?)

4. Inside OL battle

On 8/15/2019 at 8:09 AM, Aglets said:

Bueller?

I have been out of the country the past two weeks.  How has the offense looked?  Same as last year or did they actually implement something new?

14 hours ago, atomic said:

I have been out of the country the past two weeks.  How has the offense looked?  Same as last year or did they actually implement something new?

The  Short to mid range passing looked okay. Some good passes and some bad that probably should've been picked. Nothing long and the few attempts have not been accurate. The running game has looked pretty strong as we have a solid deep running back core. Will be interesting to see how many we keep. Lamar has not ran any run 1st plays, a step in the right direction. On the scramble in the last game he did a hurdle type move around the 3 yard line and scored. A good play but one where he could easily be injured by a hit. Also Lamar hasn't turned the ball over....but he's only playing a few series and against mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Totally fair, lol.

I watched the game until a lot of the starters came out.  Basically I will say that the offense under Lamar looked a bit better than I expected, which is nice.  There were no plays that looked like designed QB runs.........just a lot of short passes and it seemed like Lamar was generally hitting receivers.  We got some FGs, and were getting first downs.

Defense didn't look nearly as impressive against DeShone Kizer.  But maybe they were trying to save their bullets for the regular season.

Looking forward to the most meaningful preseason game all year this week.

I haven't watched any but from what I read it sounds like they've played pretty vanilla on both sides of the ball. Seems like they're trying to save up the more interesting looks and plays for the regular season, as well as stay healthy. Can't argue with that too much.

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I dont care if you like Lamar or not, that TD run he had called back was awesome.  And the block was behind the play.

I don't think anyone out there doubts Lamar's excitement, athleticism, big play ability. He's a fun guy to watch. I really am rooting for him. But I am one of the most negative people about him. I don't think he'll be in the league in 3 years unless he moves to some type of slot WR possibly. I'd love to be wrong and have been many times though. Just don't see him consistently being able to throw the ball or other teams not being able to halt the offense once it is limited by that and known.

10 hours ago, scbalt52 said:

I don't think anyone out there doubts Lamar's excitement, athleticism, big play ability. He's a fun guy to watch. I really am rooting for him. But I am one of the most negative people about him. I don't think he'll be in the league in 3 years unless he moves to some type of slot WR possibly. I'd love to be wrong and have been many times though. Just don't see him consistently being able to throw the ball or other teams not being able to halt the offense once it is limited by that and known.

Can I ask what makes you think that? Because all the evidence from his college career suggests he can throw very well.

9 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Can I ask what makes you think that? Because all the evidence from his college career suggests he can throw very well.

I'm sure he would cite Lamar's play from last year and especially the utterly disastrous playoff game.  

I personally think that we should give him a full season before issuing more harsh (and definitive) opinions about his game, and I'm willing to give him a good chunk of 2019 in order to make that judgement.  This offense has been completely reworked in the draft / FA so I definitely think it's only fair to give the front office a chance to see if their plan to surround Lamar with playmakers really bears fruit.   I think it might.   We won't really know until we do.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Just watching his inconsistent throws last year/this preseason. Even in college he had a career 57% completion percentage, which isn't good. And in the ACC which is Power 5 but especially during those years, put plenty of weak opponents on the field against you. His rushing is what led him to be an elite college football player. It is what he's going to need in the NFL too but its much harder to succeed doing that at this level. I'm not one of those saying he needs to stop running and focus on throwing, he needs to run to succeed that is what he's best at.

I'm rooting for the guy, and he doesn't have to be the greatest passer in the league to succeed by any means, but he has a lot of room for improvement. He CAN hit all the throws. I don't question his arm strength. But his decision making, motion, and inconsistency worry me. He also has to hold on to the football. I am interested this year to see what he can do for sure though. Like I said, I am rooting for the guy. I like him honestly, I think it would be very fun if he can improve and become a solid QB in this league. I just don't think it is going to work out for us unfortunately and thought it was a poor pick.

4 hours ago, scbalt52 said:

Just watching his inconsistent throws last year/this preseason. Even in college he had a career 57% completion percentage, which isn't good. And in the ACC which is Power 5 but especially during those years, put plenty of weak opponents on the field against you. His rushing is what led him to be an elite college football player. It is what he's going to need in the NFL too but its much harder to succeed doing that at this level. I'm not one of those saying he needs to stop running and focus on throwing, he needs to run to succeed that is what he's best at.

I'm rooting for the guy, and he doesn't have to be the greatest passer in the league to succeed by any means, but he has a lot of room for improvement. He CAN hit all the throws. I don't question his arm strength. But his decision making, motion, and inconsistency worry me. He also has to hold on to the football. I am interested this year to see what he can do for sure though. Like I said, I am rooting for the guy. I like him honestly, I think it would be very fun if he can improve and become a solid QB in this league. I just don't think it is going to work out for us unfortunately and thought it was a poor pick.

Not to mention that college passing stats don't equate to NFL passing stats and that Heisman QBs don't exactly have the best track record in the NFL either (Carson Palmer, Cam Newton, and Marcus Mariota only ones with decent track records since 2000, too early to tell with Mayfield).  Also, he has the lowest completion percentage in college of all Heisman QB winners since 2000, Palmer had second lowest at 59%, Newton was 62%, all others were in the mid to upper 60s. 

I'm in agreement, I am pessimistic about Lamar as well.  I haven't been impressed with what I've seen and I think it will just be a matter of time before NFL defenses scheme against him or put him on the sidelines due to injury, because the kid doesn't appear to want to slide or get out of bounds as much.  Having said that, I hope I'm wrong cause he is going to be all we have for at least another year or two.

Edited by jarman86
  • Upvote 1

On 8/17/2019 at 4:03 AM, Roll Tide said:

The  Short to mid range passing looked okay. Some good passes and some bad that probably should've been picked. Nothing long and the few attempts have not been accurate. The running game has looked pretty strong as we have a solid deep running back core. Will be interesting to see how many we keep. Lamar has not ran any run 1st plays, a step in the right direction. On the scramble in the last game he did a hurdle type move around the 3 yard line and scored. A good play but one where he could easily be injured by a hit. Also Lamar hasn't turned the ball over....but he's only playing a few series and against mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Thanks for the update.  I am deciding whether to get emotionally involved in the season. If the games are just like last years with the constant running every play I probably have better things to do with my Sundays. If they make it more of a modern offense I would be for watching the games.