Jump to content
Tony-OH

TT: 2019 Top Prospects on the radar list

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, now said:

Ouch, that's 8 guys to be dropped from the haul of 15 suspects from last year's "purge."

So what's left?

Diaz, Kremer for Machado.

Rogers for Britton.

Phillips, Zimmerman for Gausman.

Villar for Schoop.

"Meh" is right. Or as my dear old dad would say, "Bupkees."

On the brighter side, maybe one true star (Kremer?) emerges from that cast of still-hopefuls.

To be fair, the book is very much not closed on Tate or Bannon and Carmona is only 19. While unlikely to be stars they can still provide value to the organization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, survivedc said:

To be fair, the book is very much not closed on Tate or Bannon and Carmona is only 19. While unlikely to be stars they can still provide value to the organization.

Value is necessary, but not sufficient, sez the ole philosopher.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 12:12 AM, now said:

Ouch, that's 8 guys to be dropped from the haul of 15 suspects from last year's "purge."

So what's left?

Diaz, Kremer for Machado.

Rogers for Britton.

Phillips, Zimmerman for Gausman.

Villar for Schoop.

"Meh" is right. Or as my dear old dad would say, "Bupkees."

On the brighter side, maybe one true star (Kremer?) emerges from that cast of still-hopefuls.

Honestly, if the Orioles end up with Diaz as a solid to above-average OF and Kremer as a serviceable No.3 or No.4 starter, I don't think that's necessarily a bad deal for half a season of Machado. The Britton deal sure looks like a loss unless Tate can develop into a solid set-up option. Otherwise, I think that's a failure.

The Gausman trade was bad at the time, but Gausman's struggles and Zimmerman's development make it look better. If Zimmerman can be a No.5 starter and Phillips a passable reliever, that's not as terrible as at first glance either.

I do agree the return is less than we'd like, but I do think getting a solid everyday OF, your No.3 and No.5 starters, and a few relievers from the group would at least be an okay return...now we just need to see if Diaz, Kremer, Zimmermann and a few of the other arms can came through to make that happen.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a deeper list this year because many of our younger players have performed well.    One player where I disagree with Tony is Rylan Bannon.   To me, he had a very solid year at Bowie (.255/.345/.395 in a league where the average OPS is .679).   Moreover, just after Tony started this thread, Bannon was promoted to Norfolk, where he’s raking to the tune of .358/.368/.604 in 13 games so far.    Obviously, Tony didn’t know that would happen when he wrote the OP, but I think Bannon definitely belongs on the list.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We have a deeper list this year because many of our younger players have performed well.    One player where I disagree with Tony is Rylan Bannon.   To me, he had a very solid year at Bowie (.255/.345/.395 in a league where the average OPS is .679).   Moreover, just after Tony started this thread, Bannon was promoted to Norfolk, where he’s raking to the tune of .358/.368/.604 in 13 games so far.    Obviously, Tony didn’t know that would happen when he wrote the OP, but I think Bannon definitely belongs on the list.

I like Bannon, I think we'll see him manning 2B and doing pretty well next year at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 1:39 PM, jamalshw said:

Honestly, if the Orioles end up with Diaz as a solid to above-average OF and Kremer as a serviceable No.3 or No.4 starter, I don't think that's necessarily a bad deal for half a season of Machado. The Britton deal sure looks like a loss unless Tate can develop into a solid set-up option. Otherwise, I think that's a failure.

The Gausman trade was bad at the time, but Gausman's struggles and Zimmerman's development make it look better. If Zimmerman can be a No.5 starter and Phillips a passable reliever, that's not as terrible as at first glance either.

I do agree the return is less than we'd like, but I do think getting a solid everyday OF, your No.3 and No.5 starters, and a few relievers from the group would at least be an okay return...now we just need to see if Diaz, Kremer, Zimmermann and a few of the other arms can came through to make that happen.


Re the Gausman trade, also factor in the O's were able to dump O'Day's salary, and he has turned out to be damaged goods.  I don't think the O's lost that trade.  O'Day is expected to make his Braves debut in September.  I'm guessing Gausman is a reliever next season - or an opener.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we stick to the thread topic instead of rehashing DD's trades again?

I still see Tate as top 30. He hasn't graduated yet, but has shown some upside as a short reliever.

I was inclined to agree with McCoy, but his bat appears to have cooled off. .682 OPS at Bowie doesn't do much for me. How is that "nothing but hit"? He has a decent batting average but I didn't know it was possible to slug .347! Unfortunately that .900 OPS at Frederick is looking like a SSS aberration.

Lots of pitchers to choose from at Delmarva. How about Tyler Joyner (30th round  2018 draft pick)? 1.98 ERA, 9 K/9 to 2.90 BB/9. Or Ryan Wilson (33rd round pick 2017). 9.89 K/9 to 2.76 BB/9? Stauffer too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Can we stick to the thread topic instead of rehashing DD's trades again?

I still see Tate as top 30. He hasn't graduated yet, but has shown some upside as a short reliever.

I was inclined to agree with McCoy, but his bat appears to have cooled off. .682 OPS at Bowie doesn't do much for me. How is that "nothing but hit"? He has a decent batting average but I didn't know it was possible to slug .347! Unfortunately that .900 OPS at Frederick is looking like a SSS aberration.

Lots of pitchers to choose from at Delmarva. How about Tyler Joyner (30th round  2018 draft pick)? 1.98 ERA, 9 K/9 to 2.90 BB/9. Or Ryan Wilson (33rd round pick 2017). 9.89 K/9 to 2.76 BB/9? Stauffer too.

 

It will be interesting to see how the Delmarva pitchers fair next year in Frederick. Also, I am excited to see who ME brings in as MiLB coaches and development coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 2:14 PM, Tony-OH said:

Matthias Dietz – RHP: Whoops, mea culpa

Why?

 Did you expect something that he did not produce? Or did he just suddenly drop off a cliff after being promoted? I’m really excited about seeing this list when it comes out, I wonder if anybody on that list is going to be John means 2.0. 

I’d really like to know the true logic behind drafting Grenier. He was supposed to be a top quality glove without much bat, and he appears to have neither bat nor glove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

It will be interesting to see how the Delmarva pitchers fair next year in Frederick. Also, I am excited to see who ME brings in as MiLB coaches and development coaches.

The whole Delmarva staff has been so lights out, I would be tempted to promote Justin Ramsey to MLB!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

The whole Delmarva staff has been so lights out, I would be tempted to promote Justin Ramsey to MLB!

I've kind of followed him for years. I know him casually from pitching coaches clinics etc. He is of the same school of thought as Brent Strom, Derek Johnson, Wes Johnson, Eric Bender, Dewey Robinson, Chris Holt and others. He may have been a relative unknown to a lot of folks but he was well known in the pitching coaches fraternity.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Frobby said:

One player where I disagree with Tony is Rylan Bannon.   To me, he had a very solid year at Bowie (.255/.345/.395 in a league where the average OPS is .679).   Moreover, just after Tony started this thread, Bannon was promoted to Norfolk, where he’s raking to the tune of .358/.368/.604 in 13 games so far.    

 

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I was inclined to agree with McCoy, but his bat appears to have cooled off. .682 OPS at Bowie doesn't do much for me. How is that "nothing but hit"? He has a decent batting average but I didn't know it was possible to slug .347! Unfortunately that .900 OPS at Frederick is looking like a SSS aberration.

I honestly don't know what to make out of Bowie stats this year. All I can generally say is that the pitchers probably aren't as good as they seem and the hitters probably aren't as bad. I've never seen Bowie with a hitting environment like the one this year. Norfolk flipped too. 

All that really says to me is Yusniel Diaz's year in Bowie (.795) is actually much more impressive to me in the context of his injuries, age and the league hitting environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Philip said:

Why?

 Did you expect something that he did not produce? Or did he just suddenly drop off a cliff after being promoted? I’m really excited about seeing this list when it comes out, I wonder if anybody on that list is going to be John means 2.0. 

I’d really like to know the true logic behind drafting Grenier. He was supposed to be a top quality glove without much bat, and he appears to have neither bat nor glove.

We didn't expect that he would come out in 2019 and forget how to throw a strike. He was quite honestly awful this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Frobby said:

We have a deeper list this year because many of our younger players have performed well.    One player where I disagree with Tony is Rylan Bannon.   To me, he had a very solid year at Bowie (.255/.345/.395 in a league where the average OPS is .679).   Moreover, just after Tony started this thread, Bannon was promoted to Norfolk, where he’s raking to the tune of .358/.368/.604 in 13 games so far.    Obviously, Tony didn’t know that would happen when he wrote the OP, but I think Bannon definitely belongs on the list.

That's fine. Pretty much everyone has raked at Norfolk this year so I'm not sure a 13-game streak will wipe out his meh numbers in AA. I just don't know where he plays at the major league level. He doesn't have enough game power to be an average everyday third baseman and I'm not sure he's going to hit enough to be an everyday guy, so what is he? Is he a utility guy who can play 3B/2B like Hanser Alberto?

There were 18 23-year olds or younger that out OPSed him in the Eastern League so being a bit above a weak hitting league doesn't get me excited.

There are things to like about him and he has a chance to stick on the tail end (20-30 range) of the top 30 still, but he's not an average every day guy for me in the big leagues. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Philip said:

Why?

 Did you expect something that he did not produce? Or did he just suddenly drop off a cliff after being promoted? I’m really excited about seeing this list when it comes out, I wonder if anybody on that list is going to be John means 2.0. 

I’d really like to know the true logic behind drafting Grenier. He was supposed to be a top quality glove without much bat, and he appears to have neither bat nor glove.

Dietz was my call, he was 94-97 t99 at times as a starter flashing a plus slider and a useful changeup with well below average  control/command and below average mechanics. I felt like a move to the bullpen and simplifed pitching approach would help, but he regressed and got hurt. I stand behind the ranking though, I’d take a guy with that type of raw stuff over a utility ceiling who isn’t MLB ready or a low ceiling reliever who isn’t MLB ready. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...