Bahama O's Fan

Is This Offense Good Enough?

I think next year we could be average to above. We see a lot of really good offenses in the AL East so we might be a little disheartened. Davis and Martin are a drag. Next year could be(maybe Sept),

1. Villar SS

2. Mancini LF

3. Santander RF 

4. Nunez DH

5. Peterson 3B

6. Alberto 2B

7. Mountcastle 1B

8. Sisco C

9. Hays CF

Severino, Wilkerson, Smith Jr., Stewart

* Galvis would’ve been a nice little pickup for next year. It would’ve really made the IF solid.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think next year we could be average to above. We see a lot of really good offenses in the AL East so we might be a little disheartened. Davis and Martin are a drag. Next year could be(maybe Sept),

1. Villar SS

2. Mancini LF

3. Santander RF 

4. Nunez DH

5. Peterson 3B

6. Alberto 2B

7. Mountcastle 1B

8. Sisco C

9. Hays CF

Severino, Wilkerson, Smith Jr., Stewart

* Galvis would’ve been a nice little pickup for next year. It would’ve really made the IF solid.  

I was thinking about this too.  There are going to be some interesting guys to watch next season starting in spring training. 

I doubt Peterson makes it through the offseason though.  I think he's a 40 man roster cut to make room for other guys.  And I'd rather they just play Nunez at third and Mancini/Mountcastle alternate at DH and 1B while Stewart or some other actual outfielder plays left until Diaz is ready. 

Also with Trumbo's 13.5  million and Cashner's 8 million off the books, it'll be interesting to see if they sign an infielder or some relievers. 

No, but the hope is that when Mountcastle, Hays, Diaz, and Rutschman (flanked by Mancini, Santander, Stewart (?)) are up, the offense will be good enough.  Those guys, the AA guys, Hall, and Rodriguez, combined, will hopefully be good enough.

56 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Also with Trumbo's 13.5  million and Cashner's 8 million off the books, it'll be interesting to see if they sign an infielder or some relievers. 

I doubt the O's spending money of FA position players until they get the pitching straightened out.  They may  spend on arbitration players though.   Givens,  Bundy, Villar, Mancini, Castro, Alberto, Bleier (so far he is having a good 2nd half).  Peterson is on the bubble for arbitration.

Post All Star, they are 8th in the AL in Runs scored. Not terrible, just slightly below average in the AL. Pre All Star, they are 14th out of 15 AL teams in runs scored.

• Upvote 1

They have a nice lineup that could compete if they didnt have basically three black holes.  1b, SS, CF have hurt the offense all year you can get by with 1 or maybe 2 weak spots but not three gaping holes.  

If the Orioles had a pitching staff to match their current offense this team maybe could be a bit better than .500 -- best case.  But without studying the numbers it does seem the offense has improved quite a bit over the past couple of months -- despite the presence of Davis and Martin.

4 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think they will spend nothing. And we will like it. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, weams said:

Any kind of pitching would be appreciated. It’s tough watching the bomb squad

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm ok with that, but I do think they'll spend similarly to what they did last off season. A reclamation project or two, someone trying to re-establish value (think Drew Pomeranz). Chris Tillman could be cheap. 😎

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, weams said:

Which may even include nontendering Villar. Could get uglier before it gets better!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, weams said:

Sounds like another embarrassing team if they spend no money.  

Last night was the “best” lineup we can trot out. No Davis, Martin, or a no hit C.

A part of me agreed with the poster that said we’re having an average season in an above average offensive season for the whole MLB, but then start looking around the lineups in the MLB.  You take that 1-9(or 1-8) and start comparing, and I think you’d see that we’re better than a lot of teams. 

The pitching is an absolute train wreck and there’s no point of discussing it here. 

Looking towards next season we have a few questions... Will Davis be on the team?  Will we sign a vet to help out where our depth is thin(CF,SS)?  When do the prospects come up?  

I think tendering Villar a contract is a slam dunk now. I’d like to see Stewart get a lot of ABs once he is fine from the concussion. 

As far as defense, cares?  We’re not beating anyone 2-1 for a long time. What’s the point of concentrating on that when we give up so many singers?  We’re nowhere near that point. At least we can “enjoy” losing a lot of 9-5 type games next year. 

Edited by sportsfan8703