weams

Connolly: Hobgood and Jordan

Just now, LA2 said:

Dollar strong

At least when I was overseas the exchange rate on base and on the economy varied, as did various banks on the economy.  Why not get the best deal?

Side, don't use the big fancy ones in Amsterdam.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

At least when I was overseas the exchange rate on base and on the economy varied, as did various banks on the economy.  Why not get the best deal?

In Japan, I was just running out of the eatery or karaoke to the nearest ATM, which was always a convenience store (often a 7/11) and didn't make it possible to shop for exchange rates. Having fallen out of the habit of carrying lots of cash around with me in the US and Seoul, I wasn't comfortable with withdrawing large amounts and it was a lot harder to find a bank than a convenience store. Often couldn't get entry to bank ATMs at night, which tended to be when I ran out of cash, under the influence.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hope you were checking around for the best exchange rate.

I was on an extravagant European holiday living a life of carefree indifference.

But ATMs generally track the published exchange rates, and a quick check of my transactions indicates that the rate I got was pretty darned closed to what you see on XE or similar, plus a couple dollar fee.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I was on an extravagant European holiday living a life of carefree indifference.

But ATMs generally track the published exchange rates, and a quick check of my transactions indicates that the rate I got was pretty darned closed to what you see on XE or similar, plus a couple dollar fee.

Nice.  Wasn't a huge difference 20 years ago but as an E3-E4 every little bit helped.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't like living in England and using the one pound (dollar) coin.

Not, that there is anything wrong with it.

Just wasn't what I was used to, to me, it was much easier to carry paper $1 notes.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I didn't like living in England and using the one pound (dollar) coin.

Not, that there is anything wrong with it.

Just wasn't what I was used to, to me, it was much easier to carry paper $1 notes.

It probably costs us $millions in taxpayer dollars a year to replace $1 bills that wear out ten times as fast as coins.  But maybe that's money well spent so people don't have to slightly adjust a tiny part of their lives.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

It probably costs us $millions in taxpayer dollars a year to replace $1 bills that wear out ten times as fast as coins.  But maybe that's money well spent so people don't have to slightly adjust a tiny part of their lives.

They need to kill the penny and stop printing $1 bills.

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

they tried the dollar bill coin here, and it didn't fare too well.

The pound coin was quite hefty and put 5 of those in your pocket, and you lean to one side. :)

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

The pound coin was quite hefty and put 5 of those in your pocket, and you lean to one side. :)

Because they kept printing the paper dollar.  Don't give folks a choice.  Won't take long for most of the current paper dollars to leave circulation.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

They gave people a choice: what they were used to and had laying around everywhere, or the new thing that was hard to get and half the machines didn't work with.  People are obsessively attached to what they're used to, even if there's no good reason for it.  

If they wanted it to work they should have taken away all the dollar bills and replaced them with coins.  

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They gave people a choice: what they were used to and had laying around everywhere, or the new thing that was hard to get and half the machines didn't work with.  People are obsessively attached to what they're used to, even if there's no good reason for it.  

If they wanted it to work they should have taken away all the dollar bills and replaced them with coins.  

I think that they naturally attrit fast enough you wouldn't have to force them out of circulation.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I use a bit more cash than you, not that I don't use plastic quite a bit, but some things like a soda out of the machine, or a coffee refill at 7-11, I just refuse or try to not use plastic.

I also do not like leaving tips on the plastic, and will try and use cash for the tip portion of the bill.

I use Apple Pay on my watch whenever I can... even for soda out of the machine and parking meters. It's just quicker and more convenient than cash... that being said... I try to keep $200 in cash with me at all times just in case of an emergency.

Just now, BRobinsonfan said:

I use Apple Pay on my watch whenever I can... even for soda out of the machine and parking meters. It's just quicker and more convenient than cash... that being said... I try to keep $200 in cash with me at all times just in case of an emergency.

Apple watch is really cool, but if you work in an industry where that is a prohibited item, then its not for me.

It does remind me of a old cartoon favorite.

dick-tracy.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I did love Disney, and swiping my arm band for everything, including admittance to my hotel room.

Took a bit of getting used to, coming back to real civilization and you cant watch your arm at the cashier. :) :) :)

• Upvote 1