Jump to content
interloper

I appreciate Dylan Bundy for what he is

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If we're giving love to Hallmark and Matlock, can I get a shout out for the Golden Girls? Best sitcom ever. Well, close. 

I will have to politely disagree with you.

M.A.S.H for me, is 1,000x times better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I will have to politely disagree with you.

M.A.S.H for me, is 1,000x times better.

 

You're showing your age again, Rick. I'm a child of the 80's. MASH was ending. The Golden Age of Thursday and Saturday sitcoms was upon us. I know there were some great ones before and after, but give me Cosby, Cheers and the Golden Girls all day long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the OP, Bundy is about my favorite player on the team.    I’m agnostic on whether it makes sense for the Orioles to keep him, but that’s irrelevant to my feelings about him as a fan.    He’s resourceful and makes do with what he has.     When he’s got everything working, he’s a joy to watch.   He’ll never be what we hoped, but he’s still a guy you can get behind and root for.    

I’m interested to see how his season closes out.   Last year he really struggled after the all star break.   This year, he’s been up and down since the break.    His post-ASB ERA is awful but really he’s had 3 good starts and 3 bad ones, the first of which was truly awful.   I’m hoping he can pull it together a bit down the stretch, with about 8 starts remaining.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You're showing your age again, Rick. I'm a child of the 80's. MASH was ending. The Golden Age of Thursday and Saturday sitcoms was upon us. I know there were some great ones before and after, but give me Cosby, Cheers and the Golden Girls all day long.

 

Wow, the 80's were overall bad for sitcoms.  Cheers and Night Court were the best, imho.      

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bundy will probably be a starter with the O's at least until next July and maybe a half a season longer.   The O's need him in the rotation.   But as the minor league pitchers get called up he will fall down the depth chart.     He may become a reliever at some point.   Or maybe they trade them o a team with a bigger home park.  But for now he is in the rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Bundy will probably be a starter with the O's at least until next July and maybe a half a season longer.   The O's need him in the rotation.   But as the minor league pitchers get called up he will fall down the depth chart.     He may become a reliever at some point.   Or maybe they trade them o a team with a bigger home park.  But for now he is in the rotation.

Which minor league pitchers do you think will push him down the depth chart and will any of those pitchers arrive before Bundy qualifies for free agency?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sydnor said:

Which minor league pitchers do you think will push him down the depth chart and will any of those pitchers arrive before Bundy qualifies for free agency?

Its hard to say which ones will make it but before next season is over their are young starters that could pass Bundy.  Especially with Bundy's increasing salary.

Means, Kremer, Akin, Baumann, Lowther, Wells,  Sedlock,  Zimmerman and that does not count Cobb.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its hard to say which ones will make it but before next season is over their are young starters that could pass Bundy.  Especially with Bundy's increasing salary.

Means, Kremer, Akin, Baumann, Lowther, Wells,  Sedlock,  Zimmerman and that does not count Cobb.   

Cobb should be easy to flip right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its hard to say which ones will make it but before next season is over their are young starters that could pass Bundy.  Especially with Bundy's increasing salary.

Means, Kremer, Akin, Baumann, Lowther, Wells,  Sedlock,  Zimmerman and that does not count Cobb.   

I hope you are right about some of the young pitchers in the upper minors. I wasn’t really talking about salary pushing Bundy down the depth chart because that is more of a reason to non-tender Dylan given where the organization is in the rebuild. 

In terms of the pitchers you referenced, I would be moderately surprised if more than one of them exceeds Bundy’s current 6.2 bWAR after 4 seasons as a starting pitcher in MLB. It seems that Lowther, Wells, and Zimmerman will need to be perfect, Sedlock has real issues with injuries, command after those injuries (based on what others have said), and seems suited for relief if anything in MLB, and Akin seems like a back of the rotation guy who might be better suited for relief. I’m omitting Means because he’s currently on the team. That leaves Baumann who I like (but needs a 3rd pitch) and Kremer who Tony wasn’t high on at all this year until after his last start (and seemed to be more performance than tools that project). I’m not convinced any will perform as well as Bundy, which is admittedly mediocre, through 4 seasons as a starter.

Nevertheless, I hope you’re right and think that the guys in the low minors have a much better chance to surpass Bundy if they can remain healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sydnor said:

I hope you are right about some of the young pitchers in the upper minors. I wasn’t really talking about salary pushing Bundy down the depth chart because that is more of a reason to non-tender Dylan given where the organization is in the rebuild. 

In terms of the pitchers you referenced, I would be moderately surprised if more than one of them exceeds Bundy’s current 6.2 bWAR after 4 seasons as a starting pitcher in MLB. It seems that Lowther, Wells, and Zimmerman will need to be perfect, Sedlock has real issues with injuries, command after those injuries (based on what others have said), and seems suited for relief if anything in MLB, and Akin seems like a back of the rotation guy who might be better suited for relief. I’m omitting Means because he’s currently on the team. That leaves Baumann who I like (but needs a 3rd pitch) and Kremer who Tony wasn’t high on at all this year until after his last start (and seemed to be more performance than tools that project). I’m not convinced any will perform as well as Bundy, which is admittedly mediocre, through 4 seasons as a starter.

Nevertheless, I hope you’re right and think that the guys in the low minors have a much better chance to surpass Bundy if they can remain healthy.

Means has pitched great as a rookie and Brocail recently said  he is an important part of the O's future.  Tony had Kremer as high as the O's #4 prospect as recently as last off season.  Baumann appears to be a horse able to pitch late into games with even complete games occasionally.

 Its interesting that you point at Sedlock injury history when comparing him to Bundy,  In fact injuries have done something to Bundy that has not happen to some of the other prospects.  The injuries have limited his velocity and made him change to a pitcher that relies more on his breaking and off spend pitchers.   That may be fine when his salary is low but the more he is paid the more that is expected on him.  And that may be hard for him to deliver.   Remember his current ERA is 5.25.   Not what the O's will want when they begin to contend.   Bundy also pitches better away for Camden Yard than in his home park.  

I don't think its a stretch to say that Bundy has to figure out how to be better or he will be traded at some point to a team with a bigger home park.  There is a place where performance and salary cross in terms of value.  That will likely happen when the O's are ready to win or when the O's minor league pitchers are cheap and performing well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dylan Bundy is a huge disappointment. He’s a significantly below average pitcher. He’s a negative outlier in most strikeouts to results regressions. His career 92 ERA+ and FIP near 5 are depressingly bad for someone with his potential. His strikeouts are a tease. I think he’s significantly underperformed and his strikeouts relative to his poor success supports that opinion. He’s a mistake prone pitcher who, in my opinion, gets cut  a lot of slack because of his injury history and his crappy Oriole teammates. Bundy should be better than he is IMO. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Dylan Bundy is a huge disappointment. He’s a significantly below average pitcher. He’s a negative outlier in most strikeouts to results regressions. His career 92 ERA+ and FIP near 5 are depressingly bad for someone with his potential. His strikeouts are a tease. I think he’s significantly underperformed and his strikeouts relative to his poor success supports that opinion. He’s a mistake prone pitcher who, in my opinion, gets cut  a lot of slack because of his injury history and his crappy Oriole teammates. Bundy should be better than he is IMO. 

That's cool. I still appreciate him for the pitcher he is.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...