Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Can_of_corn

O's Have Drafted the Third Lowest WAR Since 1995

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, AceKing said:

With consistently good draft picks, well above the last two teams.

 

We have all lived through this embarrassment.This is just another way to frame it.

 

We sucked. For decades.

That wasn't the purpose of my posting this information.  I figured it was interesting at both the Oriole and ML as a whole level.  If the O's had ranked 15th  I still would have posted it.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering Brian Roberts was the first positional player drafted by the Orioles to make the All Star game since Cal, and John Means of all people was the first starting pitcher to make the All Star game since Mussina, this doesn't come as terribly surprising.  The drafting challenges aren't exclusive to the 1st round obviously, it encompasses the entire draft.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Considering Brian Roberts was the first positional player drafted by the Orioles to make the All Star game since Cal, and John Means of all people was the first starting pitcher to make the All Star game since Mussina, this doesn't come as terribly surprising.  The drafting challenges aren't exclusive to the 1st round obviously, it encompasses the entire draft.

Jake Arrieta made the All Star game in 2016.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AceKing said:

See my cheating comment.

Both Boston and St. Louis have been accused of some forms of cheating, sooooooo...

Cards cheated after a series of solid drafts when Luhnow left and took Elias with him. They had a knack of consistently finding solid position players. Matt Carpenter was their big hit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Jake Arrieta made the All Star game in 2016.

He wouldn't have if he had remained with the Orioles, I can tell you that much.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That wasn't the purpose of my posting this information.  I figured it was interesting at both the Oriole and ML as a whole level.  If the O's had ranked 15th  I still would have posted it.

Lol, if the Orioles were 15th, it would either be a national news story, or another indictment of WAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Lol, if the Orioles were 15th, it would either be a national news story, or another indictment of WAR.

🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the interesting part isnt how bad they have done(development and injuries definitely play in as well) but the amount of WAR that was retained is better than 9 other teams.  So for as little WAR has been produced by their draft picks, they are getting more out of those draft picks than say Texas who has done very well but traded off or lost the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And remember that Trout accounts for about 80 WAR for the Angels, that is a very different looking graph for them if you take out the best player in the game and put him on any other team.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sevastras said:

And remember that Trout accounts for about 80 WAR for the Angels, that is a very different looking graph for them if you take out the best player in the game and put him on any other team.

Pujols is at 100.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AceKing said:

If ya ain’t cheating, ya ain’t tryin....

 

Ask the Patriots

Also the Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt Jr. just lost out on the Orioles in 1993 to the Angelos group. It's not worth to torture myself over, but what might have been is a mind bending what-if. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Also the Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt Jr. just lost out on the Orioles in 1993 to the Angelos group. It's not worth to torture myself over, but what might have been is a mind bending what-if. 

DeWitt was part of the Angelos group that outbid Jeffrey Loria

Quote

A Baltimore-led group of investors triumphantly bought the Orioles yesterday for a staggering $173 million, after a tense bidding war drove up the price to record levels for a sports franchise.

The jampacked hearing in a stifling Manhattan courtroom went through 16 rounds of bidding before two previous opponents -- Baltimore attorney Peter G. Angelos and Cincinnati investor William O. DeWitt Jr. -- defeated New York art dealer Jeffrey H. Loria.

Led by Mr. Angelos, the winners paid nearly $70 million more than the previous record price for a baseball team, an amount that Mr. Angelos called a worthwhile "premium" because it returned the team to local ownership after more than a decade of outside control.

"This brings back control of the club to Marylanders, but to be candid, I didn't think the price would go so high," Mr. Angelos said.

Despite the record amount, Mr. Angelos and Mr. DeWitt said they had enough money to field a decent team and that the price did not mean the Orioles would have to take on extra debt or that ticket prices would rise dramatically.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-08-03-1993215088-story.html

Baltimore Sun, August 3, 1993  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pujols is at 100.

And all but about 13 of that was with the Cards, so I guess you could say if the Cards didnt take him then it would change things as well.  My point was a huge chunk of why they have kept so much of their WAR was because of Trout.  If you look at the Cards, they have a lower percentage of WAR retained and the Angels have the second highest.  If you look at the Giants, they havent drafted that well according to this but have retained the most.  That is interesting because they have traded away some top prospects in the past to supplement the team in their nice stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...