wildcard

O's outfield wars are about to begin

Hays hasn’t done anything but get injured and underperform since 2017. 

Mountcastle can wait. 

No interest in seeing any more of Trumbo, Petersen, or Davis. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if Williams could give you David Lough like numbers but what’s the point? 

Not really a logjam. Wouldn’t mind a 1 year signing of like Jarrod Dyson until Hays/Mullins/McKenna figure it out. 

Smith has an option remaining, which probably makes him a little bit more valuable despite his lapses. 

Peterson goes away. I have no idea why he’s here now. Stewart is doing himself no favors with his defense. Santander Has been the outstanding outfielder all season, and has earned himself a daily place.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You forgot two options:

Mark Trumbo: The Orioles already said they want him to play in September. While I doubt he plays in the outfield, especially with all the other options, he HAS played there a few times in rehab games.

Cedric Mullins: Yes, he dropped all the way to Bowie, but he has gotten on a bit of a roll recently. If the Orioles don't bring Hays up for some reason, then they could bring up Mullins for center field. Or bring both up anyway and let Wilkerson go back to the infield/super utility role and Santander patrolling right field.

I didn't forget them.  Just do not think they will be in the Sept outfield mix.  Trumbo might get activated and DH some.   I don't see Mullins in Baltimore this season.

41 minutes ago, Philip said:

Smith has an option remaining, which probably makes him a little bit more valuable despite his lapses. 

Yup, that is why I think Smith is tendered a contract and is on call as the 5th or 6th outfielder while spending most of the year at Norfolk next season.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Yup, that is why I think Smith is tendered a contract and is on call as the 5th or 6th outfielder while spending most of the year at Norfolk next season.

Is he arbitration eligible yet?

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see Mullins in Baltimore this season.

So we see him again ever?

Just now, Philip said:

Is he arbitration eligible yet?

No. 1.085 years of service time after this year.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or professional courtesy.

The O's have already paid him almost all of his $39 mill due, why would they owe him anything else.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philip said:

So we see him again ever?

That is up to Mullins.   He is on the 40 man roster.  He will be in ST.   If he hits well  at Norfolk then he could be promoted to the O's.

7 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I agree.

10 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

He makes sense from a depth standpoint but I am not so sure from a 40 man. Maybe try to sign him to a MiL contract.

Diaz, Mountcastle and McKenna will all be added I believe to the 40. I think Davis, Peterson and Smith are gone. I also think they add a SS to replace Martin who goes to AAA. Obviously they can keep fewer pitchers on the 40 but with my math that would be already one less. 

For now I would only call up Mountcastle if he is going to play everyday in LF or 1B. Next year I would start him at AAA and in LF. I would exhaust that option with him before settling on 1B.  Hays should play CF rest of year. Stewart in LF and Santander in RF but for whatever reason they seem to be in love with utility players in the OF. 

I hope Trumbo gets to play in a couple of games. 

12 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Mullins has a lower OPS than a struggling Ryan McKenna in AA

Mullins should not be brought up this year but I think he benefits with the upcoming roster expansion to 26 next year. That means every AL team is guaranteed 4 bench players and 5 if you carry 12 pitchers. Teams will actually be able to carry more bench type players. 

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Orioles "outfield wars" look like this:

ScaryEnlightenedBobwhite-size_restricted

In all seriousness you don’t want to see Hays play?