Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

SI ranks the O’s the 4th most hopeless team

Recommended Posts

Baltimore Orioles

Record: 41-86, 41.5 GB in AL East

Average Farm System Rating: 11

Best MLB Player: SP John Means (3.1 WAR)

Soonest Return to October: 2022

Why Are They Hopeless? 

The Orioles are breathtakingly bad for the second straight year; the only real question here is whether they can become one of the only clubs in baseball history to play back-to-back seasons under .300. (It’s a feat previously accomplished only by the 1915-16 Athletics and 1941-42 Phillies.) Baltimore has a miserable roster with a middling farm system, and while there’s something to look forward to with its newly installed front office… real change could take a while.  

When Did Everything Go Wrong? 

It’s easy to forget just how recently Baltimore was good. The Orioles were in the wild-card game in 2016! They seemingly made a good-faith effort to win in 2018! (Remember those deals for Alex Cobb and Andrew Cashner?) Recently, though, they’ve had to face the ramifications of several long-standing organizational problems—namely, an inability to develop pitching prospects and a lack of investment in international free agency—and after last year’s deadline fire sale, they’re in a tough spot.

One Reason For Hope

Adley Rutschman. The No. 1 overall pick in this year’s draft has a real opportunity to become one of baseball’s best all-around catchers. (Sure, go ahead and insert the usual caveats that exist for any hyped catching prospect … but there are plenty of reasons to believe that the hype is for real here.) The 21-year-old is currently in Low A, with a good chance to show up in the big leagues by 2021. — E.B.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Typical SI article.   They don't get the big picture.   Hopeless this year but not in the future.

It says their soonest return to October is 2022. That sounds about right to me. Bad next year, .500 in 2021, contending in 2022.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Typical SI article.   They don't get the big picture.   Hopeless this year but not in the future.

They wrote 2022 as a potential date with October games. I don't think that's overly pessimistic. The 4th thing is harsh, but the write up is fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Typical SI article.   They don't get the big picture.   Hopeless this year but not in the future.

They get the big picture.   Nobody’s saying they’re hopeless forever.    But they still have a big hole to dig out of.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It says their soonest return to October is 2022. That sounds about right to me. Bad next year, .500 in 2021, contending in 2022.

They also call the farm system middling but BA calls it #8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They also call the farm system middling but BA calls it #8.

And others have ranked it 14.    The article says their average ranking is 11.    That’s in the middle third which is fairly called middling.    Even if you prefer the BA ranking, they’re in the second quartile, which is good not great.    Combine that with a 50ish win big league team and that still leaves them with a long way to go and needing a lot of things to go right.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I didn't realize that SI was still a thing.

I think they pivoted to video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And others have ranked it 14.    The article says their average ranking is 11.    That’s in the middle third which is fairly called middling.    Even if you prefer the BA ranking, they’re in the second quartile, which is good not great.    Combine that with a 50ish win big league team and that still leaves them with a long way to go and needing a lot of things to go right.   

Right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And others have ranked it 14.    The article says their average ranking is 11.    That’s in the middle third which is fairly called middling.    Even if you prefer the BA ranking, they’re in the second quartile, which is good not great.    Combine that with a 50ish win big league team and that still leaves them with a long way to go and needing a lot of things to go right.   

Now we are into quartiles.   I missed that note.  In baseball talk the O's farm system  is in the top 10 according to BA which is one of the better ranking services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Now we are into quartiles.   I missed that note.  In baseball talk the O's farm system  is in the top 10 according to BA which is one of the better ranking services.

Having now read the full article, SI took the average between BA (8) and Fangraphs (14).     Seems reasonable to me.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Baltimore Orioles

Record: 41-86, 41.5 GB in AL East

Average Farm System Rating: 11

Best MLB Player: SP John Means (3.1 WAR)

Soonest Return to October: 2022

Why Are They Hopeless? 

The Orioles are breathtakingly bad for the second straight year; the only real question here is whether they can become one of the only clubs in baseball history to play back-to-back seasons under .300. (It’s a feat previously accomplished only by the 1915-16 Athletics and 1941-42 Phillies.) Baltimore has a miserable roster with a middling farm system, and while there’s something to look forward to with its newly installed front office… real change could take a while.  

When Did Everything Go Wrong? 

It’s easy to forget just how recently Baltimore was good. The Orioles were in the wild-card game in 2016! They seemingly made a good-faith effort to win in 2018! (Remember those deals for Alex Cobb and Andrew Cashner?) Recently, though, they’ve had to face the ramifications of several long-standing organizational problems—namely, an inability to develop pitching prospects and a lack of investment in international free agency—and after last year’s deadline fire sale, they’re in a tough spot.

One Reason For Hope

Adley Rutschman. The No. 1 overall pick in this year’s draft has a real opportunity to become one of baseball’s best all-around catchers. (Sure, go ahead and insert the usual caveats that exist for any hyped catching prospect … but there are plenty of reasons to believe that the hype is for real here.) The 21-year-old is currently in Low A, with a good chance to show up in the big leagues by 2021. — E.B.

 

 

....

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • o   Zack Greinke will try for a reversal of fortune from Game One ........ Masahiro Tanaka will hope for more of the same.     (ALCS, Game Four) *****************     NEW YORK YANKEES Pending 田中 将大 - RHP )) (11-9, 4.45 ERA)   HOUSTON ASTROS Pending Donald Zachary Greinke - RHP )) (18-5, 2.93 ERA) ) *   * )) (10-4, 2.90 ERA) OOO [ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS] OOOOO (8-1, 3.02 ERA) OOO [HOUTON ASTROS]   https://www.baseballpress.com/lineups   o
    • Heard this little ditty tonight out of work.   Brand new.  
    • And tanking/not being good got them Harper, Strasburg, Rendon and a host of other talents.  Even if they win, it's a legit possibility that Rendon and Strasburg both depart via free agency, and without them, they've got a team that will hang a few games around .500, if they get the bullpen right. 
    • Yep, it's pretty clear what they are doing now. They're all in for this year which is a little weird, because I honestly don't think they are that great, but I guess this is the end of their run so might as well go for it!
    • That is where the accounting chicanery comes into play.  They still paying debt service on the money Angelos loaned the team?
    • I think this misrepresents the non-payroll expenses of the team.    Per Forbes, in 2018 the O’s had revenues of $251 mm, of which $42 mm were gate receipts.    The team reportedly had operating losses of $6.5 mm, and player expenses (salaries + benefits) of $161 mm.   So, that implies that other costs were $251 mm - $161 mm + $6.5 mm = $96.5 mm.    That’s more than paying trivial rent and a few coaches.      Extrapolating those numbers to this year, let’s assume non-gate revenue was flat, gate revenue was down proportionately to attendance (but it may have been worse), and player expenses were proportionate to payroll per BB-ref.   That leads to the following estimate:      Gate receipts $33.5 mm Other revenue: $209 mm Total revenue $242.5 mm Less: non-player expenses $96.5 mm Less: player expenses $94 mm  Net income:   $52.5 mm That’s probably too high, given that Elias has been investing in technology, infrastructure etc.   We’ll see what Forbes estimates next spring.     But certainly Elias had savings available to invest in other areas.
    • I am glad this OP was not around in the 1960s...1969-1971...average attendance was never even at 14,000 with the greatest teams of all time.  Guess what...still here.  I will love to look back on  this thread and some of these posts in three or four years when we are back in it.   And when we get back in it AND the Nats are a power team...maybe a true rivalry will exist and maybe even a Beltway Series.  A true rivalry will fire up new fans in both areas.  Either way, the Orioles are going nowhere. Not in 10 years, not in 15 years, not in 100 years.   No other location has Camden Yards, Babe Ruth’s birthplace, Cal, Frank, Brooks, Eddie, Earl and MLB is not going to leave this iconic ballpark and its tradition empty and abandoned to move to ummm Nashville...lol. My niece also is the agent now for Harbor East and other new downtown condos...they are as hot as anything in DC or anyplace else. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...