Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

SI ranks the O’s the 4th most hopeless team

Eh, I don't expect much from national publications.  I mean, it's hard to disagree with anything that they wrote, but they don't mention Elias, they don't mention Sig and the push towards analytics.  They don't mention a lot.  

If you're a diehard fan of a team, you know practically everything.  And when I say diehard fan, you not only watch all the games but spend an inordinate amount of time on a message board dedicated to your team like this one.  If you're a national publication with a deadline, you can't have the in depth knowledge about every single team in a way that we have about the Orioles.  On the flip side of that coin, none of us certainly know anything in depth about a team like the Texas Rangers.  

So while on the surface it's been a terrible year, it's only expected to point a finger and say "Look how bad they are but Rutschman is on the way!" from a national publication like SI.  I think before clicking on this thread, that's the summary I expected to read.

IMO, there's a reason for a lot of hope moving forward.  They're doing all the right things, finally.  

17 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

ED. Note: I was trying to provoke with political shots in a politics free place. I've done this before here.  

Well, this is terrible.  Not sure what politics has to do with anything here but whatever floats your boat I guess.  Maybe the conservative POS publications would be kinder to the Orioles and you'd agree with their take.  Let's always look for sources that we agree with, that's a great way to go through life.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

They wrote 2022 as a potential date with October games. I don't think that's overly pessimistic. The 4th thing is harsh, but the write up is fair. 

If this team is competing in 2022, I dont think that's hopeless at all. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

If this team is competing in 2022, I dont think that's hopeless at all. 

Given that the team was basically hollowed out in 2018, being a playoff contender in 2022 works for me. Given the competitive nature of the AL East that would be an impressive turnaround for me.

The Red Sox might be headed for some hard times soon because their farm system has been drained. Perhaps time that with a Rays sell off core players that are becoming too expensive for them, and you might see an up and coming Orioles team sneak into the playoffs. 

I have often said that Tru improvement is not incremental, but transformative: Is meaningless to go from 3 to 4 to 5 to 6. What matters is going from 3 to 4 to 5 to 60 or 70, because that means you have changed something fundamental  and the change is lasting. 

I think we are undergoing that transformative change right now, it is just too early to see the results yet. Not just wiser drafting but the change in FO personnel and philosophy, introduction of analytics, communication between departments( which Jon Shepard of Camden Depot said was basically non-existent) and so on.

the Rangers did get better incrementally, increasing their win total  every year, culminating in their first World Series appearance in 2010. 

But the Rangers apparently traded away a lot of the WAR that they had drafted, which impeded their progress. We seen that Baltimore didn’t draft as well but got more benefit from its drafted players. I think that is going to continue and that’s why I think our jump up will be greater and quicker.

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Red Sox might be headed for some hard times soon because their farm system has been drained. Perhaps time that with a Rays sell off core players that are becoming too expensive for them, and you might see an up and coming Orioles team sneak into the playoffs. 

I think the Sox will be entering the post-Dombrowski lean years as soon as next season if Sale doesn't heal up and regain his form.  They are going to be paying Sale, Price and Eovaldi $79M for the next 3 seasons...They will clear about $40+M in payroll after the season with Porcello and Pablo Sandoval (LOL) off the books. but you hope Dombrowski's mismangement of the pitching contracts will force them to part with Mookie