wildcard

Chandler Shepherd streaking

Shepherd reminds me of a kid jumping up and down, waving his arms and yelling "Pick me, pick me".

Here is what he has done in August:

Aug 1st  Norfolk Start   6.1 IP,  3 H,  0 ER,  1 BB, 8 SO

Aug 8th  Norfolk Start   6 IP,  6 H,  1 ER,  1 BB, 6 SO

Aug 13th O's  Relief   4 IP, 5 H, 1ER,  3 BB,  2 SO

Aug 19th  Norfolk Start 6 IP,  7 H, 3 ER,  2 BB, 6 SO

Aug 24th Norfolk Start  7 IP,  3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO  Complete game

Totals for Aug       29.1 IP,  20 H, 7 ER,   9 BB,  29 SO,  2.15 ERA, 0.99 WHIP

So call him up. Put him in the rotation.  Give him a chance.

• Upvote 1

Yet he still has a 5.18 ERA and 1.45 WHIP at Norfolk. How about considering his entire body of work instead of a few good consecutive appearances?

Just now, TINSTAAPP said:

Yet he still has a 5.18 ERA and 1.45 WHIP at Norfolk. How about considering his entire body of work instead of a few good consecutive appearances?

How do I know what the O's did to change his game.  Is it analytics?  Did Chris Holt have him make a change?  I have no idea.  All I can say is what a month.   Give him a chance.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

How about lowering the bar to reflect the Orioles' entire body of work this season?  With a few welcome exceptions, I think Orioles pitching this season is far beyond nuanced arguments about small sample size and well into dart-throwing territory.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Chandler Shepherd, come on down! Ok, I know I used it earlier today  for Eades, but c’mon it’s fun!

The Red Sox have their ‘next man up’ crap, the Orioles can have ‘the next breathing waiver claim who wants a crack at the big leagues’.

• Haha 2

maybe he;s been working on things in the minors.  I remember reading an article earlier this year about Akin and how they are pushing him to use all his pitches in all counts, which  is leading to more walks, but his K's are up too.  I think this new player development system might result in some early struggles while pitchers try to learn it.  I think I heard and old person say once, If you are going to get rid of a hornets nest, you are gonna get stung.  Maybe its a case of dealing with the growing pains while trying to be a more complete pitcher

Chandler has a high K/9 rate, so maybe he's been trying to find the right pace and pattern to be more effective at the big league level and its now starting to click.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, nate22 said:

I was a little nervous to click on this thread.

Especially if there was any embedded photos/video

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Just in time, the AFL season starts today.    As a reminder, this year the O’s players are on the Surprise Saguaros, and include: Rylan Bannon Cody Carroll Dean Kremer  David Lebron  Mason McCoy Alex Wells  With Austin Hays joining once the major league season ends.   Kyle Moore (Delmarva’s manager) is serving as one of the coaches. The regular season runs through October 25.    I’m looking forward to having some more box scores to read!
    • Was Mancini bad enough last year to be in the running for national comeback player of the year?
    • I don't think this was a case of players and coaches overlooking Temple or letting the big wins get to their head, this was a case of a QB who struggled under the first pressure he saw and awful play calling, particularly in the red zone.  The fact that Temple tried to give them the game twice and the awful play calling kept trying to stuff it up the middle, when they have Piggy, McFarland and Leake. Are you telling me that anyone here thinks if they had spread out the defense, put Piggy in shotgun with McFarland and Leake that they don't think they could get a yard with a option play? My biggest concern is that the game calling is always going to be this unimaginative and awful in the red zone when the line is going to be dominated. Good coordinators understand their weakness and strengths and play to their strengths in personnel and don't try the cookie cutter old school approach. I'm also concerns that Jackson will continue to struggle when he pressured. He's not very mobile back there and once he was under pressure his decision making and accuracy dropped off significantly. That's a yellow flag for me. This game was a giant let down because they had an opportunity to go under a Nationally televised game ranked against Penn State but instead, looked like the same old Terp football program that shrinks as soon as it as a chance to shine. I also have concerns that Locksley did not over rule the play calls and also went for that awful two-point conversion. Had they gone for field goal and made it, the Terps could have gone ahead with a field goal instead of being stuffed twice on the goal line in the 4th QTR. It was one game, and people can improve and learn, but what I saw was a coaching staff and quarterback that appeared to be over their heads in their first real test of adversity.  Now if they can come out and play a good close game against Penn State it might heal some things, but only a win would erase this debacle.
    • My vote goes to all of the fans who actually watched a lot of the O's games on the tube.  Even if the games were used as 'background noise' while you were doing something a lot more pleasurable.  2 thumbs up.  
    • He has certainly hit for more power since coming back from AAA. Not sure if he tweaked something of if he's just running into more pitches, but the power increase has been the biggest difference in hitting of late. If the power is for real, and I'm not sure that it is until I hear he's changed some kind of approach, then he has a chance to stick around for awhile at 3B. He's still a below average 3B overall and will not to have a consistent jump in production to be considered a nugget towards a winning team in the future.
    • I think it clearly Mancini. Especially with the way the AS game went for him and it’s also a comeback year for him. I’d be very surprised if it were anyone else. Though Means and Villar would be solid choices if chosen. 
    • Whoever has the highest WAR. 🙄
  • Popular Contributors