Sign in to follow this  
Roll Tide

Ravens current cap space

1. Quote

Ravens could have as many as 10 draft picks in 2020 (although comps can change):

First round (1 pick)
    Second (1)
    Third (2, including comp for Z.Smith)
    Fourth (3, including comp for J.Brown and one from NE)
    Fifth (2, including one from Min.)
    Seventh (conditional from NYJ)

Seems like the appropriate place to bring this up.

The biggest hit to our salary cap for 2019 is Joe Flacco dead money ($16M).

The 2nd biggest hit is apparently Jimmy Smith (15.85M).

It looks like Smith's contract runs out after this year so that's kinda cool that all of the above money will be freed up for 2020 and beyond..........but..........

My big question is what do people predict will happen with Smith?   Is this his last season in Baltimore?   He has played well when healthy, but is 31 years old and in the last 3 years he has never played in more than 12 games due to either injury or suspension issues.

Smart money would seem to be on the Ravens letting him go right?

25 minutes ago, Aglets said:

My big question is what do people predict will happen with Smith?   Is this his last season in Baltimore?   He has played well when healthy, but is 31 years old and in the last 3 years he has never played in more than 12 games due to either injury or suspension issues.

Smart money would seem to be on the Ravens letting him go right?

Dude can't make it a full season. Couldn't even make it a quarter without getting hurt this season. Not that hard to sign or draft a competent DB although their price tag skyrocketed this offseason.

3 hours ago, Finisher said:

Dude can't make it a full season. Couldn't even make it a quarter without getting hurt this season. Not that hard to sign or draft a competent DB although their price tag skyrocketed this offseason.

I understand your point ...But if you look at the play it really wasn't his fault and could've happened to anyone. I'd resign him but not anywhere near $15 per. If he wants anywhere near that I'd let him walk. I'd try to extend Humphrey now to stretch out the big dollars he's going to command.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I understand your point ...But if you look at the play it really wasn't his fault and could've happened to anyone. I'd resign him but not anywhere near $15 per. If he wants anywhere near that I'd let him walk. I'd try to extend Humphrey now to stretch out the big dollars he's going to command.

Exactly, people calling him fragile or injury prone because of this injury must not have seen the replay. It's not like he was just running and pulled a muscle, Peanut went flying into his knee.

The cap space will be great.  They need to spend it wisely.  Wouldnt mind trying to get Xavien Howard off miami this year as the heir to Jimmy Smith.

Thry have some room and draft capital to make a trade.

• Upvote 1

I'd much rather see us re-sign Brandon Carr to a cheap deal than Smith for more money.  I just don't see Smith dropping much in price, someone will sign him (the Redskins), but I think it'd be a mistake to resign him.

9 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The cap space will be great.  They need to spend it wisely.  Wouldnt mind trying to get Xavien Howard off miami this year as the heir to Jimmy Smith.

Thry have some room and draft capital to make a trade.

Yeah Miam is a fire sale....but according to Florio he's one of a few players not for sale.

Multiple Dolphins players, as PFT reported on Sunday evening, have instructed their agents to get them awayfrom a team that the believe is deliberately tanking the 2019 season. One player who reportedly won’t be asking to be traded (and indeed won’t be traded) is cornerback Xavien Howard.

“Dolphins have told him they value him and he said he wants to stay,” Barry Jackson of the Miami Heraldreports.

So they might be tempted by a second or perhaps a first rounder? What do you think he's worth.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:00 PM, Roll Tide said:

Yeah Miam is a fire sale....but according to Florio he's one of a few players not for sale.

So they might be tempted by a second or perhaps a first rounder? What do you think he's worth.

Probably will change his tune after the Patriots game .

Steelers trade a first for Minkah Fitzpatrick.  Given this year is shot for them and they might be picking higher than normal this move might bite them.   

If Ramsey is available the Ravens should pounce.  The Ravens secondary looks to be a weak spot (again).  Ramsey and Humphrey would be the best CB tandem in the league.  It would turn them into legit contenders, imho.  Some times you've got to be bold.