Sign in to follow this  
Roll Tide

Ravens current cap space

59 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

Steelers trade a first for Minkah Fitzpatrick.  Given this year is shot for them and they might be picking higher than normal this move might bite them.   

If Ramsey is available the Ravens should pounce.  The Ravens secondary looks to be a weak spot (again).  Ramsey and Humphrey would be the best CB tandem in the league.  It would turn them into legit contenders, imho.  Some times you've got to be bold.  

Ramsay is demanding a trade right?   soooooooooooo

I get the argument, but are we asking for trouble if we bring in a guy like this?  Apparently he was fighting with the DC fairly regularly in JAC?

3 hours ago, SouthRider said:

Steelers trade a first for Minkah Fitzpatrick.  Given this year is shot for them and they might be picking higher than normal this move might bite them.   

If Ramsey is available the Ravens should pounce.  The Ravens secondary looks to be a weak spot (again).  Ramsey and Humphrey would be the best CB tandem in the league.  It would turn them into legit contenders, imho.  Some times you've got to be bold.  

I would never trade for a guy that is a clubhouse jerk. Runs his mouth constantly. No thanks.

I would trade for him but he only have 2 years of team control left and next year he is making 13.7 million. First round picks are so valuable as you get 5 years of team control.  I guess if you figure he gets you over the hump and super bowl contender you make the move.  But the team still needs another receiver. 

On 9/17/2019 at 4:01 PM, atomic said:

I would trade for him but he only have 2 years of team control left and next year he is making 13.7 million. First round picks are so valuable as you get 5 years of team control.  I guess if you figure he gets you over the hump and super bowl contender you make the move.  But the team still needs another receiver. 

The secondary has been shaky but not due to the CB play. Has Earl Thomas made a play yet.

15 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The secondary has been shaky but not due to the CB play. Has Earl Thomas made a play yet.

Earl Thomas is a free safety, meaning he is not playing at the line.  He has 1 interception and 1 allowed reception this year.  I would say he is doing alright.

6 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Earl Thomas is a free safety, meaning he is not playing at the line.  He has 1 interception and 1 allowed reception this year.  I would say he is doing alright.

The INT is good ... but he’s a Centerfield type safety. When guys are wide open long like Fitzgerald was, you have to put some of that on Earl. 

And I agree he is doing “Alright”. 

But he’s being paid to be exceptional.

On 9/19/2019 at 5:06 PM, Roll Tide said:

The INT is good ... but he’s a Centerfield type safety. When guys are wide open long like Fitzgerald was, you have to put some of that on Earl. 

And I agree he is doing “Alright”. 

But he’s being paid to be exceptional.

Depends on the play and the coverage.  

On the play in question (I assuming the 54 yarder) the ravens are in a 2 deep zone.  If you dont know what that means it's when the two safeties/players split the field 50/50 in deep coverage.  In this case it's actually a LB covering one side and Jefferson on the other.  Thomas is covering the flat.

Fitzgerald starts on the LBs side of the field but runs a slant to Jefferson's side of the field.  Jefferson not recognizing and not seeing a deep runner on his side, as both the WRs who lined up on his side run short routes (where Thomas is covering), begins to float over to cover the deep route on the other side. 

Why?  I have no clue because the coverage there is on the hip of their reciever which is impressive because it's a LB (#59).

Fitzgerald ends up downfield, clearly in Jeffersons zone, but Jefferson ain't there and Kyler hits him for the long gain.  This is not on Thomas, it's on Jefferson.

It's also a bit on scheme.  Due to the air raid offense putting a lot of emphasis on quick passes like slants and screens to the RB the ravens had Thomas play at the line a lot more.  This makes sense, as Thomas is exceptional at reading short routes and INTs are actually more prevalent on those routes to go to the house.

The side effect of this however is it put Jefferson in the deep zone a lot, which he is not as good at, and LBs covering in the deep zone as well.  Perhaps Jefferson felt he had to hedge more to help out the slower nonsafties covering deep?  But he was the one beat deep a lot.

The only catch I have seen that you could put on Thomas is the Kirk catch early.  Thomas didnt get over quite quick enough on that one as he shades the 9 route on the other side.  Even so, on that route there is underneath coverage and Kyler puts it in a good spot.

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Depends on the play and the coverage.  

On the play in question (I assuming the 54 yarder) the ravens are in a 2 deep zone.  If you dont know what that means it's when the two safeties/players split the field 50/50 in deep coverage.  In this case it's actually a LB covering one side and Jefferson on the other.  Thomas is covering the flat.

Fitzgerald starts on the LBs side of the field but runs a slant to Jefferson's side of the field.  Jefferson not recognizing and not seeing a deep runner on his side, as both the WRs who lined up on his side run short routes (where Thomas is covering), begins to float over to cover the deep route on the other side. 

Why?  I have no clue because the coverage there is on the hip of their reciever which is impressive because it's a LB (#59).

Fitzgerald ends up downfield, clearly in Jeffersons zone, but Jefferson ain't there and Kyler hits him for the long gain.  This is not on Thomas, it's on Jefferson.

It's also a bit on scheme.  Due to the air raid offense putting a lot of emphasis on quick passes like slants and screens to the RB the ravens had Thomas play at the line a lot more.  This makes sense, as Thomas is exceptional at reading short routes and INTs are actually more prevalent on those routes to go to the house.

The side effect of this however is it put Jefferson in the deep zone a lot, which he is not as good at, and LBs covering in the deep zone as well.  Perhaps Jefferson felt he had to hedge more to help out the slower nonsafties covering deep?  But he was the one beat deep a lot.

The only catch I have seen that you could put on Thomas is the Kirk catch early.  Thomas didnt get over quite quick enough on that one as he shades the 9 route on the other side.  Even so, on that route there is underneath coverage and Kyler puts it in a good spot.

Played HS football... had a scholarship but went in Military. I’ve been a high school/ rec football official 22 years.

so yes I understand.

Vinny Cerrato said on 105.7 that he thought Earl has been ok. But the problem is the Ravens are paying him to be great.

21 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Played HS football... had a scholarship but went in Military. I’ve been a high school/ rec football official 22 years.

so yes I understand.

Vinny Cerrato said on 105.7 that he thought Earl has been ok. But the problem is the Ravens are paying him to be great.

I am not trying to question you football knowledge, you come across as very knowledgable.  It's just given that you fully understand zone coverage you get why coverage and scheme goes really far into determining the effectiveness of players.  And further why just because Thomas is labelled a centerfielder, doesnt mean he is a fault for every ball that gets caught in CF.

You've played too, so you also understand that coming off serious injury it can take a bit of time to get back to peak performance.

Objectively, if the PFF can only attribute one caught ball over two games to his coverage, then he is doing pretty well.

17 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I am not trying to question you football knowledge, you come across as very knowledgable.  It's just given that you fully understand zone coverage you get why coverage and scheme goes really far into determining the effectiveness of players.  And further why just because Thomas is labelled a centerfielder, doesnt mean he is a fault for every ball that gets caught in CF.

You've played too, so you also understand that coming off serious injury it can take a bit of time to get back to peak performance.

Objectively, if the PFF can only attribute one caught ball over two games to his coverage, then he is doing pretty well.

Fair Enough.... it's just the hiccups in coverage in the secondary are a problem. Just like I'm being hard on Lamar , I'm similarly being difficult with Thomas. I don't give Lamar much credit for the win against Miami as I don't even think they could hand with the likes of Bama and. Georgia. So I am not overly impressed by Earl's showing in that game. I know Arizona is mediocre at best and has little chance IMO of being even a .500. Team.  Plus my observation of Lamar was he reverted back to the option and QB scramble heavily. Which doesn't bode well for him long term.

If Mahomes shreds the secondary then you have to blame the guys back there who are led by Thomas

I think we will know what we truly have around week 9 or so.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Fair Enough.... it's just the hiccups in coverage in the secondary are a problem. Just like I'm being hard on Lamar , I'm similarly being difficult with Thomas. I don't give Lamar much credit for the win against Miami as I don't even think they could hand with the likes of Bama and. Georgia. So I am not overly impressed by Earl's showing in that game. I know Arizona is mediocre at best and has little chance IMO of being even a .500. Team.  Plus my observation of Lamar was he reverted back to the option and QB scramble heavily. Which doesn't bode well for him long term.

If Mahomes shreds the secondary then you have to blame the guys back there who are led by Thomas

I think we will know what we truly have around week 9 or so.

You don't give a guy with a perfect QB rating credit for getting a win?