Aristotelian

Is Sisco Toast?

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Should not be too hard. Sisco is statistically replacement level. Just need to find the next Severino.

This is getting comical at this point.  Please look at the stats in the minors and majors for Severino and for Sisco.  Then please tell me you know longer think what you wrote above.  Sisco’s performance this year matches Severino’s performance this year for all practical purposes.  Severino had a 500 OPS last year in the majors at the same age Sisco is this year.  Severino never performed anywhere near Sisco levels in the minors.  Not close.  You are letting your frustration completely overwhelm logic.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/severpe01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/siscoch01.shtml

• Thanks 1

Just now, vatech1994 said:

This is getting comical at this point.  Please look at the stats in the minors and majors for Severino and for Sisco.  Then please tell me you know longer think what you wrote above.  Sisco’s performance this year matches Severino’s performance this year for all practical purposes.  Severino had a 500 OPS last year in the majors at the same age Sisco is this year.  Severino never performed anywhere near Sisco levels in the minors.  Not close.  You are letting your frustration completely overwhelm logic.

What did you say to me yesterday?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What did you say to me yesterday?

Point taken.  No need to engage with those who like to howl at the moon.

29 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

I agree that Sisco may be the least bad of our options. I still say that he is not a long term option, i.e. he is toast.

With all this Sisco being Toast talk I do believe that a reminder is needed for some. 

Currently the Orioles number one catcher by default is Pedro Severino.  He was a member of the Washington Nationals right up until March 23, 2019 when Management claimed him off waivers.  Catchers and backup players without options or that are part of a roster crunch always are waived at the end of Spring Training.  If our front office does it Due Diligence then Sisco's replacement on the Twenty-Five may become available again next spring.  Chance has one option remaining so there is time for him to "Get it right" another year in Spring Training or Norfolk.  This entire thread seems to be populated with more opinions than facts with little thought to a broader picture of things.  Thankfully this board is not running the Orioles.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

With all this Sisco being Toast talk I do believe that a reminder is needed for some. 

Currently the Orioles number one catcher by default is Pedro Severino.  He was a member of the Washington Nationals right up until March 23, 2019 when Management claimed him off waivers.  Catchers and backup players without options or that are part of a roster crunch always are waived at the end of Spring Training.  If our front office does it Due Diligence then Sisco's replacement on the Twenty-Five may become available again next spring.  Chance has one option remaining so there is time for him to "Get it right" another year in Spring Training or Norfolk.  This entire thread seems to be populated with more opinions than facts with little thought to a broader picture of things.  Thankfully this board is not running the Orioles.

The broader picture of things is that you have AR in the minors so in all probability you have a starting catcher for your 2021 squad already.  There is no great need to try and pick up a possible marginal upgrade over Sisco in what is likely to be an uncompetitive season.  He's young, he's got some upside, an option to burn and he's cheap.  If he were to be released he'd be the type of guy we'd be looking to pick up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I am saying that 0 wins could be an improvement over Sisco. I am willing to concede that the lack of other options keeps him in play for now, but I am convinced that he is not a catcher long term, so what's the point?

And this comment treats Sisco as a no-upside proposition. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I am saying that 0 wins could be an improvement over Sisco. I am willing to concede that the lack of other options keeps him in play for now, but I am convinced that he is not a catcher long term, so what's the point?

Whether Sisco makes the OD roster next year is anyone’s guess. But he has an option, and will be on the 40-man.   Book it.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The broader picture of things is that you have AR in the minors so in all probability you have a starting catcher for your 2021 squad already. 

That was my thought.  The Orioles also took Maverick Handley out of Standford  in the sixth round this year.  Jordan Cannon, Catcher/Relief pitcher was taken in the 10th round out of Sam Houston

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Well said. There is almost zero reason to send him packing, even if he doesn’t start 2020 on the 25. 

Just now, thezeroes said:

That was my thought.  The Orioles also took Maverick Handley out of Standford  in the sixth round this year.  Jordan Cannon, Catcher/Relief pitcher was taken in the 10th round

Always need a lot of catchers.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Always need a lot of catchers.

In 2014 the Orioles took ZERO Catchers in the June Draft.  Talk about lack of increasing depth.  116 catchers were taken in that draft. 

2 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

In 2014 the Orioles took ZERO Catchers in the June Draft.  Talk about lack of increasing depth.  116 catchers were taken in that draft. 

And those guys are gone.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And those guys are gone.

In 2016 the management team that is gone again did not draft any catchers in the June Draft.  114 catchers were drafted.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

In 2016 the management team that is gone again did not draft any catchers in the June Draft.  114 catchers were drafted.

Shocking they lasted that long.