Sign in to follow this  
OFFNY

vs. D-RAYS, 9/02

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

James Brown
The T.A.M.I Show
Same tape I've had for years!

The Teenage Music International show was released to movie theaters as a feature film in late 1964. I think I saw it three times, some of them during Christmas vacation.

Seeing all those acts together in the pre-festival, pre-internet age (without having to sit through Ed Sullivan or the comics, conventional singers, etc. on his show) was a unique and exciting event that was never really duplicated.

I'm pretty sure the ads and advance publicity didn't say who the performers were. I remember distinctly there were rumors flying around about whether the Beatles were part of the show.

• Thanks 1

Just now, spiritof66 said:

The Teenage Music International show was released to movie theaters as a feature film in late 1964. I think I saw it three times, some of them during Christmas vacation.

Seeing all those acts together in the pre-festival, pre-internet age (without having to sit through Ed Sullivan or the comics, conventional singers, etc. on his show) was a unique and exciting event that was never really duplicated.

I'm pretty sure the ads and advance publicity didn't say who the performers were. I remember distinctly there were rumors flying around about whether the Beatles were part of the show.

Was JUST before my time. I was 2 years old. I only know of it.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

High cheese!

If we score this inning I say let Hunter try to finish it off.

Tommy's out of baseball.

Just now, scOtt said:

Dare I say it? Everything going well for Orioles pitching.

If things go south quickly, you'd better 🦆.

I'm having trouble absorbing the fact that Oliver Drake has become a decent ML pitcher.

o

This was the 3rd consecutive outing (and the 4th time in his last 5 outings) in which Wojciechowski had a Hit Batsman.

21 OUTS: 8 Groundouts, 7 Flyouts, 5 Strikeouts, 1 Popout

RANDALL ASHER WOJCIECHOWSKI )))))) (FINAL NUMBERS)

IP:ll7

H:lll 5 )) (1 Home Run, 1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:lll. 4

BB:ll1 ) *

SO:lll5

Pitches: )l 95 )(60 )Strikes, )35 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 5.12 )l 65.00 IP  (37 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.231  )l )  65.00 IP  (80 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .225 ))  (56 for 249) 5 for 26

* )) Wojciechowski also had 1 hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

26 ll(13 lllStrikes, ll13 lllllBalls) 

13 lll(91 llStrikes, llll41 lllBalls)

14 lll(10 lllStrikes, llll41 lllBalls)

81 lll(51 lllStrikes, llll31 lllBalls)

13 lll(91 lllStrikes, llll41 lllBalls)

81 lll(61 lllStrikes, lllll21 lllBalls)

13 lll(81 lllStrikes, llllll51 lllBalls)

o

So we had 5 12-pitch at bats all season (and our guys went 0 for 5 on them).

Today we've had a 13 pitch at bat by Severino which ended up being the game tying 2 out hit in the 7th, and now Hanser Alberto of all people has a 12 pitch at bat and gets a base hit.

And Hanser is 2 for 4 vs lefties today after starting 0 for 2.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Yeah and were born into the great depression. My mom here meal 6 days a week growing up was a baked potato.  Hitler demanded everyone turn in their butter churns so as to not waste milk on butter but their neighbor gave them an old one to turn in so they could at least have butter on it.  But I think we take for granted how good we have it these days.  But I doubt that is the reason. Probably more likely their children are all in middle age and are doing well and they don't need them to take care of grandchildren anymore.  They have had a good life and are content. 
    • I think that's the key. With the 26th man already, not sure they need to add another slot.
    • Fangraphs has now graded 20 teams, including the entire AL East.    By their valuation system from last year, we rank 10th out of 20 so far.     As I expected, Tampa is off-the-charts good.    They have 55 prospects ranked 35+ or higher, most of any team graded so far (we have 40, which is still above average).    The dollar value of their system by last year's method is $329 mm if you exclude Wander Franco.       And the reason I excluded him is Fangraphs graded him an 80, the first time they have done that, and so I don't know what an 80 is supposed to be worth.    Last year they valued a 70 grade batter (Vlad Jr.) at $112 mm, so Franco will be valued higher than that. Toronto graded better than I expected, slightly behind us at $200.5 mm.   We are at $206 mm; the mean valuation for all 20 teams graded so far is $209 mm, excluding 1/20th of whatever Franco is worth. So far the top teams by this methodology are: TBR $329mm+ (55 prospects 35+ or better) PIT $282.5 mm (42) MIA $281.5 mm (41) ARI $277.5 mm (47) DET $260.5 mm (39) NYY $250.5 mm (54) ATL $250 mm (27) SEA $237 mm (38) MIN $228 mm (42) BAL $206 mm (40)
    • Boredom has replaced baseball, not ideal for the first week of April.  I have no info, no data, no games and even worse no practices to evaluate so i went for what in my mind is the next best thing, re-watching the 2019 seasons.  Thanks to @weams I found out that every minor league archived game is available at milb.com.  I started with Aberdeen as I knew their season results but wanted to watch the season play out.   It took one game for me to learn A LOT about Ryan Conroy.  When his spilt is working, A-level hitters are reduced to children flailing at something they think they see!  I’m through the first couple series and one was not televised, vs Brooklyn Cyclones (June 16-17) but the development has already been significant. I’m going to watch as much of each team’s season and share what I see with you.  I’m bored and coping with being without baseball this way and I’d hope this gets me through the weeks.  After the Ironbirds, I’m going up to Delmarva and they also had a good season so I’ve got that to look forward to. Some early thoughts:  Let’s start out with 3B Toby Welk and his footwork early on at Aberdeen.  It was rough. He’d get to balls, straighten his body to throw across the diamond and send it feet East or West of first base.  He ended a few innings with accurate putouts, but started rallies for opponents by not making plays.  I was unpleasantly surprised, especially considering I have so much video of him showing smooth and balanced throws from camp.  His throwing base is big because he’s big.  When he rushes the action, everything is off from the feet up and in my eyes I hadn’t seen that happen until I watched video from June 2019.  So let’s give some credit to both Welk and the infield coaches at Aberdeen for clearing this up and rounding off those rough edges.  Toby’s bat will move him up, but reducing the potential for defensive flaws can only help.   Back to Conroy and his splitter.  I watched this pitch drop in the same exact plane time after time and hitters swung directly over it.  Ryan would center this offering and didn’t get a decent swing against it in the season’s first game.  My notes: ‘Conny is DIFFERENT with this working’. His opponent was one if my favorite non-Oriole pitchers, Hudson Valley (TB) starter Dayveion Whittle.  Whit was nasty but Conroy our threw him. Also I have video of Conroy practicing an A-level pickoff move, and he used it in a game....it worked!  He had an even better attempt later but the runner was back in time.  Base runners were not a serious issue, at least not in this game as Conroy allowed only 2 in his first 6 innings.  The season’s first hit was a smoked single through the 2B hole by speedster Jean Carmona who shows elite movement skills.  He was on camera while swinging more than once (camera moves and there’s only 1)and he does an excellent job of keeping his head steady through the plane.  It helps him stay on the ball and finish off the act of guiding the ball through holes.  I hadn’t seen Carmona so I liked this.   Catcher Cody Roberts and outfielder Rob Neustrom were finishing off a rehab assignment so Roberts both caught and DH’d to get his bat warm.  After showing some legs by beating out an infield single (and earning pickoff throws?), I was keyed on Roberts’ ability to make himself move.  He demonstrated elite quickness at passed balls/wild pitches hurling himself backwards out of the crouch to pounce and pivot.  I was impressed with this in drills, but blown away at how he makes himself move from the crouch.  The organization’s Catching depth chart has so much to show.   Infielder Clay Fisher nabbed his first hit of his career, a triple.   Conroy finally fatigued in the 7th but fought through an awful inning and only gave up 1.  Roberts helps him out by ending a rundown at 3rd by going after the runner with aggression and in my notes I wrote ‘Cody=involved with lots of good results’.  Infielder Irving Ortega had a good AB that he turned into an RBI double to add on later.   Lefty Yelin Rodriguez came in next and started his appearance off by plunking a batter.  Fielding a bunt next he was smooth and had a nice short turn to first for the out.  Another relatively easy 1-3 putout and then a K and Yelin was done with only one base runner.   Carmona led off the bottom 8 and this guy just sailed around the bases ending up standing at 3rd with no throw.  He is so fast on the bases, minor league camera operators be warned.  Cody Roberts does something positive again and knocks Carmona in, Ironbirds are up.   Righty Marlon Constante came in and ‘grabs save chance by the horns’ helping the Birds win their opener, 2-1.  Nice W! The next contest featured lefty Kevin Macgee, yet another arm I hadn’t seen.  He throws a good solid curve to LHB’s to move to a better count and tries to put heat up for a finisher.  He got their catcher, Embry to try and beat him for the K.  Toby Welk made a great play ranging to his left on a slow bouncer to finish the first.  He stepped ahead of SS Joey Ortiz and in an organized manner, gathered and fired across for the out.  Improvement.   Johnny Rizer hit his first pitch seen for his first pro hit and I like his aggressiveness at the plate.  Maybe not a lead off hitter but definitely an offensive performer.  Cody Roberts had a single off a 2-2 count and he’s forcing me to notice his contributions.  Catcher Luke Ringofer threw out his opposite number trying to steal and a sign was missed, this guy was out by 3.5-5 feet....not close.   Next up was Welk’s first hit, a single over the mound off a 2-2 change.  After Macgee’s short stint in came Moise Nolasco who I’d seen extensively in the GCL.  There were problems on the bases when he came in, and he reduced them by one with a pickoff of his own.  Next however came an RBI triple before Nolasco got an out to end the frame.  He was unflappable and consistent with his delivery just like I remember.  This game didn’t end well because the next pitcher, lefty Jason Montville wasn’t on his stuff.  He showed some athleticism and a well placed 1-2 slider under a RHB’s wrist to get a swinging K but was hittable and not fooling batters.  He popped off the mound with haste trying to field a grounder and end the inning but he gave up runs and it was late.  Montville is someone who I liked at the GCL but I didn’t realize he was there as a demotion and this particular performance may have started that ball rolling down a level.  He’s not in baseball as of today.   So a split in the first 2 games.  Next up is Tri Cities, the HOU affiliate.   I got to watch lots of the big guy, 6-7 righty Leonardo Rodriguez who looks like a 7-footer up on the mound.  LRod showed me some reasons for concern, most notably a lack of lower body athleticism and no out pitch.  If he could generate torque with his butt/legs he could be absolutely devastating but he doesn’t do that well, at least not in this outing.  When his pitches snap and hit their spots, it’s his legs doing the work but it didn’t happen enough.  I wrote ‘better feet/legs would put some power/putaway in his stretch’. He’s so tall and long-legged that a slight mis-movement throws off a complicated process and the pitch sails.   The other starter, named Manny Ramirez impressed me not with overall stuff but he sat at 94 and got 3-4 extra mph when he needed to.  Swinging AJ’s we’re his strength and he threw it straight but he can add juice when he needs to.  My thought:  ‘bullpen arm’. He struck Welk out on 3 pitches, not one of them worth offering at.   Rodriguez gets out of a self induced jam in the 3rd due to Joey Ortiz’ hyper quick reaction to a grounder starting a tight 6-4-3 turn that the ump got right. Now is a good time to talk about Ortiz’ ability to make quick movements.  His throws have steam and his body is behind them in one powerful stride.  His pivots and transfers show flawless placement and precision.  He beats out double plays.  He takes extra bases.  This is a player who doesn’t appear fast or quick-twitchy but when the ball is in play his speed matches it, and it shows at every opportunity.  To me, that’s exciting.  I cannot wait to watch his campaign with this perspective.  Everything that everyone tells me is how his offense separates him and I won’t argue.  But it seems he’s more of a total ball player than I’ve suspected.  That’s a damn good sign for his future.  He even has a bit of a jump in his throw for the extra steam and it makes a difference.   There was more Leonardo letdown as he let guys on and made errors trying to pick them off.  Walk, pickoff error, wild pitch=a run.   Next inning Rizer smacked a double that looked gone off the bat.   Righty Juan Echevarria started off the next frame and promptly gave up a run, the score is 3-1.   A quick rally included Welk laying down an A+ bunt w 2 runners on and he reached forcing an error that scored a run.  This bunt was perfectly placed and nobody was ready for it.  Nice call skip!  Next up was corner Juan Montes who hit a 2-RBI single and the Birds take the lead heading into the 9th!   Echevarria couldn’t contain the Tri-City bats and big righty Felix Bautista came into the 9th with the bases loaded.  3 outs later the Ironbirds were winners and Bautista locked up the save.  Good game.     I’ll have more observations later and hope that you are finding some way to enjoy some baseball instead of none.  At least now I have games to look forward to.
    • The only one I have not seen is the no hitter, perfect game... I was in the Safety Patrol in school at the time and every year the Orioles would have Safety Patrol day with free admission...however, on this particular Safety Patrol day, it was also my Opening Day of Little League, so I stayed home.   My friend next door, also in Safety Patrol, had NEVER been to (and never attended another) MLB game.....sure enough, Tom Phoebus pitched a no hitter that day.    50 plus years of attending and watching, no for me....but my friend’s only game ever, he gets a no hitter. 
  • Popular Contributors