Jump to content
MurphDogg

Austin Hays called up, Ryan Mountcastle not called up

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I could've done without ever seeing Davis Hess in an Orioles uniform again.  

Did you omit an "and" between these two words/names?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, makoman said:

Maybe, but the players aren’t exactly known for fighting for the rights of those who aren’t in the union yet. Everyone in the union is already past the service time game. 

If by "aren't exactly know for.." you really mean "completely willing to trade away others' rights for their gain" I'd be a little more on board with your statement.

Both sides have at least hinted around that the service time stuff is a problem for a while, so maybe they'll do something.  But what's the fix?  I like making everyone a free agent at 28, but I doubt that has any traction.  Maybe you become a free agent seven years after you're drafted/signed, eight for high schoolers?  I don't know what might be deemed acceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No Akin either. No AAA for Diaz. 

We’re playing .328 ball right now. That’s 53-109. 

Glad to see some improvement this year at least?    ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If by "aren't exactly know for.." you really mean "completely willing to trade away others' rights for their gain" I'd be a little more on board with your statement.

Both sides have at least hinted around that the service time stuff is a problem for a while, so maybe they'll do something.  But what's the fix?  I like making everyone a free agent at 28, but I doubt that has any traction.  Maybe you become a free agent seven years after you're drafted/signed, eight for high schoolers?  I don't know what might be deemed acceptable.

A few random thoughts:

  1. If a player with less than a year's service time spends at least half the major league season on the big league team, they will be credited with one year of service time. Computation of service time in subsequent years will remain the same as it is today. This should eliminate a lot of the game playing.
  2. Eliminate arbitration and make all players free agents after three years of service time. If the owners want to go young, then free agency should go young.
  3. Raise the pay of minor league players who are on major league contracts to 50% of the major league minimum. Because they deserve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Both sides have at least hinted around that the service time stuff is a problem for a while, so maybe they'll do something.  But what's the fix?  I like making everyone a free agent at 28, but I doubt that has any traction.  Maybe you become a free agent seven years after you're drafted/signed, eight for high schoolers?  I don't know what might be deemed acceptable.

The NHL 27 or 7 for free agency is along those lines.  NHL teams only have one or two affiliates; so the long player-development process of MLB is different.  But I could see the next MLB CBA being closer to the current NHL model than the counting days of MLB's current CBA.

https://www.liveabout.com/nhl-free-agents-explained-2778995

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

A few random thoughts:

  1. If a player with less than a year's service time spends at least half the major league season on the big league team, they will be credited with one year of service time. Computation of service time in subsequent years will remain the same as it is today. This should eliminate a lot of the game playing.
  2. Eliminate arbitration and make all players free agents after three years of service time. If the owners want to go young, then free agency should go young.
  3. Raise the pay of minor league players who are on major league contracts to 50% of the major league minimum. Because they deserve it.

There are already rules about (3).   If I recall correctly, for a team to retain a player it had the year before but keep him in the minors, they have to pay him 60% of what he earned the previous season.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McLikin said:

Did you omit an "and" between these two words/names?

Fixed.  But Davis Hess has a nice ring of failure to it.  Like a law firm that hasn't won a case in four years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are already rules about (3).   If I recall correctly, for a team to retain a player it had the year before but keep him in the minors, they have to pay him 60% of what he earned the previous season.    

According to this article posted in March 2018:

  • Quote

     

    • Players signing their first major league the annual minor league salary is $44,500.
    • Players signing their second major league contract the annual minor who have at least one day of major league time gets an annual salary of $88,900.

     

    Unless that has changed, your statement is incorrect.

  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

According to this article posted in March 2018:

  • Unless that has changed, your statement is incorrect.

  •  

This is for players who are on the 40-man roster but have not spent time in the majors.    I’m talking about players who have spent time  on the major league roster.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frobby said:

This is for players who are on the 40-man roster but have not spent time in the majors.    I’m talking about players who have spent time  on the major league roster.    

And I was talking about players who haven't. They deserve to make more money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...