Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

MiL Player and Pitcher of the Year

This is a pretty dull subject this year, because the choices are pretty obvious.

Player of the Year has to be Ryan Mountcastle.     He led the organization in runs, hits, doubles, homers and RBI, while putting up a slash line of .312/.347/.524 in the International League at age 22.   

Pitching is a tougher call, but I think it comes down to Zac Lowther or Grayson Rodriguez:

Lowther: 148.0 IP, 2.55 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 9.4 K/9, 2.4 K/BB

Rodriguez: 94.0 IP, 2.68 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 12.4 K/9, 3.6 K/9

Rodriguez has the gaudier rate stats, but I’d give it to Lowther, who led the organization in innings pitched and wins while putting up very good numbers all year in the Eastern League.

Overall, there were a lot of pitchers who impressed this season and I look forward to seeing them make more progress in 2020.    

• Upvote 1

Player of the year without a doubt it's Mountcastle.  Pitcher of the year I'd agree between those two.  The only other major contender I can think of is Michael Baumann, when considering the overall body of work, but he's not on the level as the other two.

If there were an award for consistency, however, it has to go to Alex Wells.  The man is just so damn consistent each stop in the system.

1 minute ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Player of the year without a doubt it's Mountcastle.  Pitcher of the year I'd agree between those two.  The only other major contender I can think of is Michael Baumann, when considering the overall body of work, but he's not on the level as the other two.

If there were an award for consistency, however, it has to go to Alex Wells.  The man is just so damn consistent each stop in the system.

I think Wells was in the running for pitcher of the year going into August.    He actually had a better ERA than Lowther for much of the year.    But he faded at the end, allowing 19 ER in 26.1 IP in his final 5 starts.   He also gave up 6 homers in that span, after allowing only 4 up to that point in the season.    Still, he had a very good year and I expect he’ll start 2020 in Norfolk.   

Yeah, I would expect Mountcastle and Lowther as well.  They tend to give these awards to guys higher in the system (though obviously there are exceptions) and Lowther has the good baseball card stats, so I'd expect it to be him.

I know the MLB awards are regular season only, but not sure if the organizations follow that too or just do anything they want if two even-ish contenders have playoffs to pitch.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is a pretty dull subject this year, because the choices are pretty obvious.

Player of the Year has to be Ryan Mountcastle.     He led the organization in runs, hits, doubles, homers and RBI, while putting up a slash line of .312/.347/.524 in the International League at age 22.   

Pitching is a tougher call, but I think it comes down to Zac Lowther or Grayson Rodriguez:

Lowther: 148.0 IP, 2.55 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 9.4 K/9, 2.4 K/BB

Rodriguez: 94.0 IP, 2.68 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 12.4 K/9, 3.6 K/9

Rodriguez has the gaudier rate stats, but I’d give it to Lowther, who led the organization in innings pitched and wins while putting up very good numbers all year in the Eastern League.

Overall, there were a lot of pitchers who impressed this season and I look forward to seeing them make more progress in 2020.    

Baumann has the best K/BB/HRA numbers of anyone and I think he should at least be in the discussion. He had a better ERA than Lowther in his 70IP in AA as well. 

I'm not saying he should win it, but he should be in the conversation. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Baumann has the best K/BB/HRA numbers of anyone and I think he should at least be in the discussion. He had a better ERA than Lowther in his 70IP in AA as well. 

I'm not saying he should win it, but he should be in the conversation. 

Yes, he pitched very well.   The main reason I didn’t list him was his 3.83 ERA at Frederick.    That said, you always maintained that his stuff was great down there even if his ERA didn’t reflect it.   Obviously he proved you correct with his performance at Bowie.   

The Brooks Robinson Award went to Ryan Mountcastle, as expected. The Jim Palmer Award was split between Grayson Rodriguez and Michael Baumann.   I would have gone with Zac Lowther, for the reasons stated in the OP, but I’m sure the fact that he was a co-winner last year counted against him.  Gotta share the love.  https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/mountcastle-baumann-rodriguez-among-orioles-award-winners.html

Also, MLB Pipeline named Mountcastle and Rodriguez its Orioles Prospects of the Year (hitter and pitcher).

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-prospects-of-the-year-mountcastle-rodriguez

• Upvote 2