Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Redskins Rick

Best MLB Draft Picks in Round 1 and what selection.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

He had a solid chance in 96.

Stupid umpires and that clearly wrong home run call, didnt help.

Todd Zeile faking a throw and throwing the ball into the ground, sure didn't help.

Some say the 96 team was all around better team than the 83 World Series winners that won it all.

Talent wise that's certainly debatable, but in terms of results and output of talent, making the playoffs and getting as far as they did saved the '96 team from being the biggest underachiever in team history.  There's no reason a team with the talent they had should've needed till the last day of the season to wrap up the wild card, but they got themselves in a deep rut to dig out of.  I say all that and the nostalgia of the team still resonates, but it's very much overshadowed by the '97, '12, and '14 teams.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Talent wise that's certainly debatable, but in terms of results and output of talent, making the playoffs and getting as far as they did saved the '96 team from being the biggest underachiever in team history.  There's no reason a team with the talent they had should've needed till the last day of the season to wrap up the wild card, but they got themselves in a deep rut to dig out of.  I say all that and the nostalgia of the team still resonates, but it's very much overshadowed by the '97, '12, and '14 teams.

It is debatable, and more than once in OH, we have discussed the actual merrits of the 1983 WS team.

Nobody including Dempsey and his wife and family, thought he would end up as the WS MVP and the star. I mean, dont get be wrong, Im a big Rick Dempsey the catcher fan, and usually his defense was heads and tails better than his offensive production.

96 is a season tht I recall fondly as a fan and probably being the homer, overrated their skillset.

96 ALCS is also a thorn in my side, that I will remember forever, sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2019 at 11:26 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

When I saw "USA Today" my intuition told me to not click the link.  But I did, and I found a bb-ref query thinly disguised as a newspaper article.

USA Today - "Just Enough News"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

USA Today - "Just Enough News"

 

Not sure, in this day and age, if there is any such thing as a good newspaper.

Washington Post has gone so liberal, even before being purchased by Amazon.

Baltimore Sun, never has been, nor will it every be anything close to a real newspaper.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure, in this day and age, if there is any such thing as a good newspaper.

Washington Post has gone so liberal, even before being purchased by Amazon.

Baltimore Sun, never has been, nor will it every be anything close to a real newspaper.

 

The Baltimore Sun used to be one of the greatest newspapers in the US, far greater than the Washington Post up until the 70s when the Post stole the spotlight on Watergate.  The Post is no more liberal than it ever has been -- it is the paper that exposed Nixon yet (along with every other paper except the Knight Ridder reporters and foreign press) failed to properly investigate the run-up to the Iraq War.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

The one postseason game the greatest closer in history wasn't so great.

Huh?  What are you referring to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

He had a solid chance in 96.

Stupid umpires and that clearly wrong home run call, didnt help.

Todd Zeile faking a throw and throwing the ball into the ground, sure didn't help.

Some say the 96 team was all around better team than the 83 World Series winners that won it all.

I have to admit I barely followed baseball in the 90s.  Even before the strike my attention faded.  Something about the Yankees losing to the D-Backs in 2001 brought my attention back.  I'm biased in favor of the '83 team because I was still a kid then and I was at one of the World Series games (can't remember which one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, makoman said:

The reason Mussina doesn’t have a ring. 

Ok, but by "greatest closer in history" I assume he's referring to Mariano Rivera.  I don't remember the details of the '96 game other than the Yankee fan reaching out to catch the ball.  Did the Yankees rough up Mussina in that game?  Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

Ok, but by "greatest closer in history" I assume he's referring to Mariano Rivera.  I don't remember the details of the '96 game other than the Yankee fan reaching out to catch the ball.  Did the Yankees rough up Mussina in that game?  Thanks 

2001 World Series. Yanks had the lead in the 9th in game 7, and Rivera couldn't close it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

2001 World Series. Yanks had the lead in the 9th in game 7, and Rivera couldn't close it out. 

Oh right.  I forgot Mussina and Rivera were teammates on that team.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Talent wise that's certainly debatable, but in terms of results and output of talent, making the playoffs and getting as far as they did saved the '96 team from being the biggest underachiever in team history.  There's no reason a team with the talent they had should've needed till the last day of the season to wrap up the wild card, but they got themselves in a deep rut to dig out of.  I say all that and the nostalgia of the team still resonates, but it's very much overshadowed by the '97, '12, and '14 teams.

The 2012 team might be my favorite sports team of all time. Right up there with 2010 Auburn football 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The 2012 team might be my favorite sports team of all time. Right up there with 2010 Auburn football 

I go back and forth with '12 and '89.  I never thought there'd be another '89, then there was.

But '99 Virginia Tech football is right there, too. And I'm not even that big of a football fan any more.

It probably says something about me that my top three teams (and nobody else is remotely close) didn't go home with the trophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...