Sign in to follow this  
interloper

Is there any upside with Ripken & Palmeiro?

20 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He changed his swing in 2017, and was putting the ball in the air more often and his issue was lack of pop for his defensive profile. He may have gotten stronger, but his MLB line is built on power production, and I never saw more than fringe average raw pop. The new ball helps someone with fringy raw power more than most. The problem is that at his age, performance in the minors isn’t very predictive, so even though he was good last year, there are a ton of guys producing in AAA as older guys. 

Basically it was a convergence of a guy changing his swing and approach to put the ball in the air to the pull side more often, maybe getting a little stronger, and the new MLB ball happened to accentuate those tendencies. So now 20% of his FBs go over the fence. Which is an insane number for his raw power.

Interesting and insightful, as always, thanks man. Shame we missed out on him, but sometimes this kind of thing will just happen I guess. Happy for him, though, and wish him the best. 

From the same scout who did the report on Cedric Mullins I posted previously

Ryan Ripken

“I have him as an organizational guy. Not a major leaguer. He’s a very streaky hitter. Doesn’t have a very athletic swing, so he has a tough time staying on time and in any rhythm in the box.”

Preston Palmeiro

“He still shows me some flashes. But, no, I just don’t think there is enough consistency there. He looked really bad defensively at second base. This year, he’s struggling to get his barrel into the zone. When I saw him, he had some bad at-bats, struggled to get to the fastball, and was not making adjustments. At 24, I thought he’d take a step forward, but actually, he has gone backward.”

• Thanks 1

On September 9, 2019 at 11:32 PM, Tony-OH said:

I will say this about Ryan Ripken, he has gotten the most out of his ability. As Luke said earlier, both are org guys.

What do you think about McKenna??

33 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

What do you think about McKenna??

I've been pretty consistent that i think McKenna has a chance to be a solid 4th outfielder if he can put some things together. He still probably has a ceiling as an everyday guy, but I don't think he's likely to hit that ceiling.