Luke-OH

Austin Hays called up

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Good solid catch but I thought the chest thumping was a bit much. Act like you make that catch every time because you should. It's not like he saved Game 7.

That was more than a good solid catch and it's far from caught every time.

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

That’s easily a 4 star catch.

• Upvote 1

Awesome catch, and personally, I love the passion. Did someone post the statcast catch probability on that? I haven't seen it yet.

11 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

Buck allowed AJ10 to carry on with the pie stuff, which I always though was beyond silly. I couldn't stand watching the post game pies. Beating on the chest after making a great catch, that's not my idea of baseball. Especially 100 loss baseball.

booooo. Loved the pies. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Yeah he totally should have robbed a homer and instantly thought "Man, I wish we were over .500 so I could be excited by that." and thrown the ball in. 🙄

Why even try to catch it in the first place when you are under .500?

• Upvote 2

Fine play by Hays. Obviously VGJR had no issue with the enthusiasm. In fact, if you look closely as the camera switched to Ynoa, you see VGJR running right past him, and it looked like they had a quick lighthearted exchange as well.

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

51 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Lol, you guys have been too used to Wilkerson/Santander/old Jones.

I did not say that that ball is caught every time, but you should act like you expect to catch it. It was a catchable ball and he caught it. 

I am very excited that he appears to be a bona fide CF, something we haven't had in several years. To the eye test, he may be just as fast as Mullins but gets way better jumps, going back as well as coming in. If we can finally move on from Mancini in the OF, I am excited to have an improved defense out there with guys who can catch the ball at all three positions.

32 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Yeah he totally should have robbed a homer and instantly thought "Man, I wish we were over .500 so I could be excited by that." and thrown the ball in. 🙄

@Ohfan67I hope you didn't think I was being serious and that is why I got downvoted. If you did think that was serious...yikes 😂. Not that I really care about the votes.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am very excited that he appears to be a bona fide CF, something we haven't had in several years. To the eye test, he may be just as fast as Mullins but gets way better jumps, going back as well as coming in.

I think Mullins is still better at getting to the ball.     But Hays looks like a credible CF out there, and of course his arm is far superior.     

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I did not say that that ball is caught every time, but you should act like you expect to catch it. It was a catchable ball and he caught it. 

I am very excited that he appears to be a bona fide CF, something we haven't had in several years. To the eye test, he may be just as fast as Mullins but gets way better jumps, going back as well as coming in. If we can finally move on from Mancini in the OF, I am excited to have an improved defense out there with guys who can catch the ball at all three positions.

MLB Network had it as a four star big deal. I'd say you are in the minority on this one. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Looking at Hays’ Statcast stats, he is one for two in four-star catch opportunities, so I assume last night’s play is the four-star catch he’s made.   A four-star catch is defined as a play where the odds of the ball being caught are between 26-50%.     Five star catches are made 0-25% of the time.   Hays is 0-2 on those.    He’s 100% on 1-3 star catches.    I think the four-star catch he missed was the one where he got a late break coming in on the ball, made a headlong dive, and actually gloved it a few inches off the ground but the impact of hitting the ground jarred it loose.