Jump to content
Luke-OH

Austin Hays called up

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Good solid catch but I thought the chest thumping was a bit much. Act like you make that catch every time because you should. It's not like he saved Game 7.

That was more than a good solid catch and it's far from caught every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

That was more than a good solid catch and it's far from caught every time.

That’s easily a 4 star catch.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome catch, and personally, I love the passion. Did someone post the statcast catch probability on that? I haven't seen it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

Buck allowed AJ10 to carry on with the pie stuff, which I always though was beyond silly. I couldn't stand watching the post game pies. Beating on the chest after making a great catch, that's not my idea of baseball. Especially 100 loss baseball.

booooo. Loved the pies. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Yeah he totally should have robbed a homer and instantly thought "Man, I wish we were over .500 so I could be excited by that." and thrown the ball in. 🙄

Why even try to catch it in the first place when you are under .500?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fine play by Hays. Obviously VGJR had no issue with the enthusiasm. In fact, if you look closely as the camera switched to Ynoa, you see VGJR running right past him, and it looked like they had a quick lighthearted exchange as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s easily a 4 star catch.

 

51 minutes ago, LA2 said:

That was more than a good solid catch and it's far from caught every time.

Lol, you guys have been too used to Wilkerson/Santander/old Jones.

I did not say that that ball is caught every time, but you should act like you expect to catch it. It was a catchable ball and he caught it. 

I am very excited that he appears to be a bona fide CF, something we haven't had in several years. To the eye test, he may be just as fast as Mullins but gets way better jumps, going back as well as coming in. If we can finally move on from Mancini in the OF, I am excited to have an improved defense out there with guys who can catch the ball at all three positions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Yeah he totally should have robbed a homer and instantly thought "Man, I wish we were over .500 so I could be excited by that." and thrown the ball in. 🙄

@Ohfan67I hope you didn't think I was being serious and that is why I got downvoted. If you did think that was serious...yikes 😂. Not that I really care about the votes.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am very excited that he appears to be a bona fide CF, something we haven't had in several years. To the eye test, he may be just as fast as Mullins but gets way better jumps, going back as well as coming in.

I think Mullins is still better at getting to the ball.     But Hays looks like a credible CF out there, and of course his arm is far superior.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

 

Lol, you guys have been too used to Wilkerson/Santander/old Jones.

I did not say that that ball is caught every time, but you should act like you expect to catch it. It was a catchable ball and he caught it. 

I am very excited that he appears to be a bona fide CF, something we haven't had in several years. To the eye test, he may be just as fast as Mullins but gets way better jumps, going back as well as coming in. If we can finally move on from Mancini in the OF, I am excited to have an improved defense out there with guys who can catch the ball at all three positions.

 

MLB Network had it as a four star big deal. I'd say you are in the minority on this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That’s easily a 4 star catch.

 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

 

Lol, you guys have been too used to Wilkerson/Santander/old Jones.

I did not say that that ball is caught every time, but you should act like you expect to catch it. It was a catchable ball and he caught it. 

Looking at Hays’ Statcast stats, he is one for two in four-star catch opportunities, so I assume last night’s play is the four-star catch he’s made.   A four-star catch is defined as a play where the odds of the ball being caught are between 26-50%.     Five star catches are made 0-25% of the time.   Hays is 0-2 on those.    He’s 100% on 1-3 star catches.    I think the four-star catch he missed was the one where he got a late break coming in on the ball, made a headlong dive, and actually gloved it a few inches off the ground but the impact of hitting the ground jarred it loose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...