weams

More Developmental Personnel let Go

7 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Never glad to see someone lose a job, but, I like dynamic change.  This is part of the plan and I support it. 

This is the part where I would post Jimi Hendrix - If 6 Was 9, but that's not on youboob!

Now if a 6
Turned out to be 9
I don't mind.
I don't mind.

The O's have been below average at developing talent, so a lot of these people have not been doing their jobs.  I believe Elias has been evaluating these people since he got here.  Hopefully, their replacements are better.

... a reaction to the successes of such teams as the Astros and Dodgers.

“It’s not something that I think we’re taking likely, but the reality is there has been a significant amount of new info and new technology that has exploded across baseball in the last five or six years,” Elias said.

“There are books being written about it right now and we’re all doing our best to react to it, to position ourselves to it. This is something that happens more frequently in other industries and in business in general. Baseball has been kind of insulated from changes in this degree for a while. This is a period where there are just a lot of changes going on and a lot of different areas of investment for teams than there were five or 10 years ago.

“When we were in Houston, we were among the teams probably out ahead of the curve in terms of recognizing the trends and positioning ourselves for them. Los Angeles, who’s here tonight, probably right up there in that regard and sure, they’re two of the best organizations in baseball right now. Everyone’s looking to them as model franchises and trying to follow suit. It’s just the way the business works.

“You read up on the history of the sport. This has happened before in different ways. Branch Rickey and the Cardinals, the Orioles in the ’70s and ’60s. And this is where we’re at right now.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/more-on-retirements-and-elias-latest-media-session.html

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, weams said:

“You certainly come in and to whatever degree that is reasonable, that is practicable, you try to observe and evaluate with as much care as you can,” Elias said.

“I knew the amount of change that the industry was going through, I knew the amount of change that we had just gone through in Houston. I knew what the shape and structure of the Orioles looked like. I knew the fact that the Orioles were coming off a really bad record and at the time were perceived to have a middling farm system, and yeah, this is not something coming out of left field for me.

“But that doesn’t mean that there aren’t good people are, really good people. It doesn’t mean that the people that we’ve just recently parted ways with are not good baseball people that will find good homes. But it does mean that change was something that was coming and is the right thing for this franchise right now and specific to our situation, change is for the better.”

“I do think there are good players and prospects in the system and these were good draft picks that were made, especially recently,” he said. “They were high picks and the scouts did a great job of choosing these players. But I think that very quickly in improving some of our developmental techniques, especially on the pitching side, we’ve been able to unlock a little bit of that potential, so that has helped. But I feel great about the level of talent that we have right now.

“I think if you look at third-party rankings, which aren’t everything, and if you look at some more objective measures, this is a consensus above-average farm system right now and I feel even better about where we’re going to be taking it beyond it. So absolutely, I think that the farm system, its progress, has been a big success for us this year. Our work is far from done, but it’s one of the very positive developments that has occurred in 2019.”

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

He is saying all the right things.

My question is, and as a fan, I sincerely hope, his plan works.

We don't know if it will, but it sure would be nice to see it though to find out.

19 hours ago, SteveA said:

I suspect that they were pre-ordained to be doomed because Elias was always going to bring in people that think the way he does and have the background he wants, as soon as he could (it was too late last November to get people).

I don't think this year's results had much to do with it.

I agree with this for the most part. I do think though that they had a year to show Elias and company that they can be of value to them. Britton and Kendell have survived so far.

The only name I was mildly surprised at was Justin Lord, but I certainly don't know how these guys were evaluated.

9 minutes ago, weams said:

We don't know if it will, but it sure would be nice to see it though to find out.

Watching it happen (WS or not) should be a lot more fun than rooting for the #1 Rule IV pick.  Either way, I'm looking forward to it a bit more than these days.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:09 AM, scOtt said:

This is the part where I would post Jimi Hendrix - If 6 Was 9, but that's not on youboob!

Now if a 6
Turned out to be 9
I don't mind.
I don't mind.

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2019 at 11:27 AM, weams said:

If the team is in as bad shape as it is now in 4 years it won't be nice to find out. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Looks like Gary Kendall and Keith Bodie are both gone.   

I Told you someone from Bowie would be fired after the playoffs.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:25 AM, Redskins Rick said:

He is saying all the right things.

My question is, and as a fan, I sincerely hope, his plan works.

Elias has been saying the right things. Just a shame the FO didn’t have his hire wrapped up faster last year. We still have int’l pool money out there. I’d like to see us spend that. 

11 hours ago, atomic said:

I Told you someone from Bowie would be fired after the playoffs.

Looks like you were right.   I think I misinterpreted what Roch wrote about Kendall, though.    He’s not gone from the organization, he’s just done with his stint with the big club this September.