Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

TT on Ravens 23-17 win over Cardinals

Nice win by the Ravens even though it wasn't a big win on the scoreboard. Lots of positives to take out of this game starting with Lamar Jackson.

Jackson wasn't as sharp passing wise as he was in his first game making a couple of overthrows of open receivers. But, he showed poise, didn't turn the ball over, and made smart runs when they were there. If I saw one thing that impressed me the most though was when Boykin didn't keep running on a route that ended up incomplete because he read the defense wrong.

Jackson grabbed him before he ran off, talked to him about the play, then tapped him on the helmet like, Now go get'm next time. That my friends is on field leadership. Love it.

After these first two games, I'm all in on Jackson and think he's a got a chance to be special if he can stay healthy.

Hollywood Brown was a quiet a bit in the 1st half but was a huge factor in the 4th when the defense started to focus on the TEs. I don't know if he can stay healthy for an entire season as small as he is, but he's a tough matchup because of his speed.

The TEs, particularly Mark Andrews look like they will be big all year. Andrews looks like the best TE this team has had some Pitta, maybe even Heap.

Defensively they stuffed the running game and confused Murray on a lot of plays. The only negative was way too many wide open long passess which are usually blown coverages. The team misses Jimmy Smith more than I think they know. 

I'll take 2-0 every year so this is a great start for the season.

• Upvote 1

Agree with your outlook. A few other things.

Snead and Boykin were pretty much invisible today.

The offensive line allowed more pressure that I thought they would and didn't open many holes for the RB's.

The D was pressuring Murray all day. When they plays teams with less mobile QB's that should translate to better sack numbers.

There's just no depth with Young and Jimmy Smith out. Mahomes is going to have a field day if we leave receivers wide open again. Kind of shocking how open Larry Fitzgerald was getting.

Boy Suggs really made a difference didn't he lol.

Offense slowed after the first drive but Lamar can just sustain drives with his running; he picks up first downs seemingly at will. It eats clock and just feels like we have an iron grip on most games. And we finally have a stud WR we've been waiting forever for in Brown. On top of Andrews, who looks like a top 3-4 TE.

4 hours ago, Finisher said:

There's just no depth with Young and Jimmy Smith out. Mahomes is going to have a field day if we leave receivers wide open again. Kind of shocking how open Larry Fitzgerald was getting.

Boy Suggs really made a difference didn't he lol.

Offense slowed after the first drive but Lamar can just sustain drives with his running; he picks up first downs seemingly at will. It eats clock and just feels like we have an iron grip on most games. And we finally have a stud WR we've been waiting forever for in Brown. On top of Andrews, who looks like a top 3-4 TE.

Hahah. That's why i was laughing when I heard people saying we had to watch out for Suggs. Even early season Suggs isn't going to have much effect on such a mobile QB as Jackson. Plus, the Oline neutralized him all day anyways.

5 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

Agree with your outlook. A few other things.

Snead and Boykin were pretty much invisible today.

The offensive line allowed more pressure that I thought they would and didn't open many holes for the RB's.

The D was pressuring Murray all day. When they plays teams with less mobile QB's that should translate to better sack numbers.

I didn't really see that. I thought the O-line played solidly all day. Cardinals have some big boys up front but the Oline wore them down by the 4th QTR.

20 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Nice win by the Ravens even though it wasn't a big win on the scoreboard. Lots of positives to take out of this game starting with Lamar Jackson.

Jackson wasn't as sharp passing wise as he was in his first game making a couple of overthrows of open receivers. But, he showed poise, didn't turn the ball over, and made smart runs when they were there. If I saw one thing that impressed me the most though was when Boykin didn't keep running on a route that ended up incomplete because he read the defense wrong.

Jackson grabbed him before he ran off, talked to him about the play, then tapped him on the helmet like, Now go get'm next time. That my friends is on field leadership. Love it.

After these first two games, I'm all in on Jackson and think he's a got a chance to be special if he can stay healthy.

Hollywood Brown was a quiet a bit in the 1st half but was a huge factor in the 4th when the defense started to focus on the TEs. I don't know if he can stay healthy for an entire season as small as he is, but he's a tough matchup because of his speed.

The TEs, particularly Mark Andrews look like they will be big all year. Andrews looks like the best TE this team has had some Pitta, maybe even Heap.

Defensively they stuffed the running game and confused Murray on a lot of plays. The only negative was way too many wide open long passess which are usually blown coverages. The team misses Jimmy Smith more than I think they know. 

I'll take 2-0 every year so this is a great start for the season.

Hi Tony ..... Obviously the big difference is the competition level. The Patriots dropped a 40 point shut out on Miami. 

Lamar had trouble finding receivers and went run heavy which is who he will always revert back to against better defenses. He also lacked touch on several passes and probably could've been picked off twice.

The main problem for me is the Cardinals are only a mediocre team. I think things will change drastically in the other direction against the Patriots, Chiefs, and Seahawks, 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Hi Tony ..... Obviously the big difference is the competition level. The Patriots dropped a 40 point shut out on Miami. 

Lamar had trouble finding receivers and went run heavy which is who he will always revert back to against better defenses. He also lacked touch on several passes and probably could've been picked off twice.

The main problem for me is the Cardinals are only a mediocre team. I think things will change drastically in the other direction against the Patriots, Chiefs, and Seahawks, 

Not sure what you are alluding too with the Patriots beating the Dolphins 40-0. I could take that as the Ravens offense dropped 59 on them so they are better offense than the Patriots, but I don't think the scores mean a ton this early in the year.

Lamar was not perfect throwing the ball but he made smart decisions, including when to run. I didn't see a quarterback who missed or couldn't find open receivers, panicked and ran. I saw a guy who took what he could get without taking a lot of contact and made smart runs.

The Cardinals defense is not really that bad overall and even on that beautiful over he shoulder touch pass to Hollywood that basically sealed the game the defender was in very tight coverage.

I do have concerns about the Ravens secondary and that could be there undoing against the teams you mentioned. Mahomes may throw for over 450 yards with the coverage the Ravens showed against the Cardinals.

This team is not perfect and it's going to lose some games no doubt, but I've really liked what I've seen from Jackson so far and although I expect bad days like any other quarterback, if he can stay healthy he can be a great NFL QB.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure what you are alluding too with the Patriots beating the Dolphins 40-0. I could take that as the Ravens offense dropped 59 on them so they are better offense than the Patriots, but I don't think the scores mean a ton this early in the year.

Lamar was not perfect throwing the ball but he made smart decisions, including when to run. I didn't see a quarterback who missed or couldn't find open receivers, panicked and ran. I saw a guy who took what he could get without taking a lot of contact and made smart runs.

The Cardinals defense is not really that bad overall and even on that beautiful over he shoulder touch pass to Hollywood that basically sealed the game the defender was in very tight coverage.

I do have concerns about the Ravens secondary and that could be there undoing against the teams you mentioned. Mahomes may throw for over 450 yards with the coverage the Ravens showed against the Cardinals.

This team is not perfect and it's going to lose some games no doubt, but I've really liked what I've seen from Jackson so far and although I expect bad days like any other quarterback, if he can stay healthy he can be a great NFL QB.

Agree.  I keep hearing people say "If we play like 'that' we're gonna lose in KC."  Um, newsflash, we're not favored to win in KC anyway.  We'd have to play a perfect game and KC will have to make mistakes for us to win next week.  That doesn't mean we're a flawed team or that Lamar can't win a big game.  It simply means at this point KC is a better team, plus its their home opener.  People need to get a grip.

That said, I'm not writing off an upset Ravens win.  We have the talent, we just need to play a great game.

22 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Agree.  I keep hearing people say "If we play like 'that' we're gonna lose in KC."  Um, newsflash, we're not favored to win in KC anyway.  We'd have to play a perfect game and KC will have to make mistakes for us to win next week.  That doesn't mean we're a flawed team or that Lamar can't win a big game.  It simply means at this point KC is a better team, plus its their home opener.  People need to get a grip.

That said, I'm not writing off an upset Ravens win.  We have the talent, we just need to play a great game.

Yeah, I don't think the Ravens will win next week, but that doesn't mean they can't win. They have the talent if everything went right, but I could also see a bit of a beat down due to our secondary.

If they can figured out how to get Mahomes off the field without scoring often they got a chance.

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I don't think the Ravens will win next week, but that doesn't mean they can't win. They have the talent if everything went right, but I could also see a bit of a beat down due to our secondary.

If they can figured out how to get Mahomes off the field without scoring often they got a chance.

We held them to 27 points last year right?

Is it possible we do that again?   Sure.   Not saying it's likely though.  I seem to remember Lamar nearly winning that one for us, but I might just be making crap up.

EDIT - just looked it up.  It was 24 to 24 at the end of regulation actually.  They got a FG on the opening drive of OT, and then Lamar got hurt on the final drive of the game.   RG3 came in and threw 2 incomplete passes to end it.

11 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Ravens draft Lamar:  your response is "waste of a pick."

Lamar takes over wins a few games:  you response "these were weak defenses."

Lamar finally loses to KC:  your response "see I am right."

Lamar gets the ravens to the playoffs:  your response "flavco would have done it too (0-2 flacco)

Lamar gets beat in the playoffs:  your response "see I am right."

Lamar goes 2-0.  Every analyst is saying he looks better, commands better, throws better, has MVP level stuff:  your response yet again is "eh, wait till the good teams, and he will definitely get injured."

1.  Of course he will lose to some good teams, all players do.  Tough games are tough.

2.  Of course he will look bad against some teams, the ravens have made TB look like a bad QB in the playoffs.  Some teams get your number.  Some games are bad games.  But you are at this point ignoring that he has won against what 8-9 teams.

3.  You can keep saying he will get injured.  It's the NFL, everyone gets injured.  At QB alone we have seen Foles, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Semien go down to injury in 2 games and the first three are the exact same stand in the pocket QB you have professed you prefer.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

1) Ravens draft Lamar:  your response is "waste of a pick."

2) Lamar takes over wins a few games:  you response "these were weak defenses."

3) Lamar finally loses to KC:  your response "see I am right."

4) Lamar gets the ravens to the playoffs:  your response "flavco would have done it too (0-2 flacco)

5) Lamar gets beat in the playoffs:  your response "see I am right."

6) Lamar goes 2-0.  Every analyst is saying he looks better, commands better, throws better, has MVP level stuff:  your response yet again is "eh, wait till the good teams, and he will definitely get injured."

7) 1.  Of course he will lose to some good teams, all players do.  Tough games are tough.

😎 2.  Of course he will look bad against some teams, the ravens have made TB look like a bad QB in the playoffs.  Some teams get your number.  Some games are bad games.  But you are at this point ignoring that he has won against what 8-9 teams.

9) )3.  You can keep saying he will get injured.  It's the NFL, everyone gets injured.  At QB alone we have seen Foles, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Semien go down to injury in 2 games and the first three are the exact same stand in the pocket QB you have professed you prefer.

1) Still feel that way!

2) Its a fact ...Look back at the stats! '

3) Show me where I said that about that particular game

4) I believe Flacco would have.... "(0-2 flacco)" What's your point?"  Flacco's record with the Broncos is not relevant

5) He didn't just get beat by the Chargers he was owned by them in the playoffs. Except in garbage time at the end!

6)  He looked great against a Miami team that would struggle against better college teams! Evidence is the ass kicking they also received by the Patriots. Lamar had all day to throw during that game! I believe I said so in that thread and also said there was reason to be optimistic

His passing was considerably worse against the Cardinals, a team who is likely no better than a .500 +/- the tie! He reverted back to his run heavy approach!

7) At the end of week 9 (we have a bye in week 8 ), we will have played at the Chiefs, Seahawks, and the Patriots at home. I know I might feel considerably different if we finish week 9 with a 7-1 0r 6-2 record than I will if we are 5-3 with loses to the three that I just mentioned. I am assuming we can beat the Browns and Bengals at home and the Ben less Steelers in Pitt.

8)Most of those teams had really bad defenses and others haven't had a chance to see him twice. I will say that our division looks to be in a down year with Pittsburgh and Cincy likely to have down years. Its hard to say if the Browns will perform to expectations but they looked pretty good last night in New York.

9) And your point exactly? Brees was a fluke hand on the helmet. Ben has taken many bad hits in his career and its hard to play through a broken arm. As for Lamar, running QBs have a high probability of career altering leg injuries. Once he clears the LOS, he is fair game for defensive players to dive at his knees. Just like what happened to RG3.

So let me ask, Is it Lamar Love? Or are you just looking through those purple shaded glasses that would prevent you from looking at the situation with objectivity? Finally, Putting words in my mouth or exaggerating in a sad attempt to prove your point doesn't work.

I would like to see whats best for the Ravens and that includes Lamar having a long successful career.

Objectively, I just don't think its going to happen.

On 9/17/2019 at 5:52 PM, Roll Tide said:

He didn't just get beat by the Chargers he was owned by them in the playoffs. Except in garbage time at the end!

6)  He looked great against a Miami team that would struggle against better college teams! 

His passing was considerably worse against the Cardinals, a team who is likely no better than a .500 +/- the tie! 

These are the main reasons why I don't understand where all of the excitement around his team is coming from.  Last year, w/ Lamar as the starter, the only team we beat that had a winning record was the Chargers.  The same team that easily bumped us from the playoffs.  (I agree w/ you about the garbage time stats) This year, we're 2-0, but we only beat Miami and Arizona.  A Dolphins team that had 7 UDFA's make their team, 27 players that were not on their roster 2 years ago and 40 players that are in their 4th year or less.  40 ... of a 53-man roster.  They could very likely go 0-16.  In other words, we beat a community college team and a "kinda ok" Cardinals team starting a rookie QB.

While I freely admit, Lamar has definitely looked better than I was expecting to start the season, I think it's WAY too early to get hyped about this team/offense.  We still have the Chiefs, Seahawks, Patriots, Texans, Rams and two against an improved Browns team not to mention all six of our divisional games.  I'd say we'll have a better picture of who this team is by the bye, but the schedule only seems to get harder from there.  

44 minutes ago, Elbren said:

These are the main reasons why I don't understand where all of the excitement around his team is coming from.  Last year, w/ Lamar as the starter, the only team we beat that had a winning record was the Chargers.  The same team that easily bumped us from the playoffs.  (I agree w/ you about the garbage time stats) This year, we're 2-0, but we only beat Miami and Arizona.  A Dolphins team that had 7 UDFA's make their team, 27 players that were not on their roster 2 years ago and 40 players that are in their 4th year or less.  40 ... of a 53-man roster.  They could very likely go 0-16.  In other words, we beat a community college team and a "kinda ok" Cardinals team starting a rookie QB.

While I freely admit, Lamar has definitely looked better than I was expecting to start the season, I think it's WAY too early to get hyped about this team/offense.  We still have the Chiefs, Seahawks, Patriots, Texans, Rams and two against an improved Browns team not to mention all six of our divisional games.  I'd say we'll have a better picture of who this team is by the bye, but the schedule only seems to get harder from there.  

So to some here being objective is hating. I think Lamar has a chance. But I think there is a high probability that he suffers a serious leg injury. The other poster made a point that it can happen to pocket passers. But the impact of a leg injury is more of a detriment to a QB like RG3 or Lamar than a guy like Brees, Carson Palmer, Flacco etc.