eddie83

New— Orioles Baseball Operations changes

3 hours ago, weams said:

Apparently, the Cardinals employed (employ?) an amateur spell checker version (or failed to employ one).
If so, it's one of the very few shortcomings I've noted with respect to that organization.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Where did they get Blood’s photo, from his fifth grade yearbook?

He started with the Cardinals when he was 21 or 22 years old, so he was a youngin. 

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Minor League success in win-loss is definitely not equal to player development success, but it is interesting to note that the Rangers affiliates had the best combined record of all 30 teams under Matt Blood's season as director of Player Development. 

From a 10,000 foot level I assume that affiliate records are as correlated to how aggressively players are promoted as anything.  In general, if you have a bunch of 19- and 20-year-olds in AA they're not going to win as much no matter how talented they are or how good or development program is.

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Sounds like an excellent hire, and I’m glad to see Elias finding roles for some of the incumbent personnel he found to be qualified.   

+1

13 hours ago, weams said:

I wonder what an 'Amateur Draft Anaylyst' is?  🙂  Sounds like the Cards needed to hire an Editor.

1 minute ago, esmd said:

I wonder what an 'Amateur Draft Anaylyst' is?  🙂  Sounds like the Cards needed to hire an Editor.

They spent all their money on haxxors.

10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Minor League success in win-loss is definitely not equal to player development success, but it is interesting to note that the Rangers affiliates had the best combined record of all 30 teams under Matt Blood's season as director of Player Development. 

Also worth noting is that this is what Rangers GM Jon Daniels said about Blood when he was moved from Director of Player Development to Director of Baseball Innovation. "...Matt's done a great job recruiting and added a lot of development tools for us, but the challenge of doing that and managing what is essentially our biggest department is huge. This puts Matt in a spot where he can identify the best practices around the industry and help us recruit the best people."

Mike Elias had this to say about Blood's hiring. “Matt has an unrivaled network when it comes to identifying up-and-coming coaching talent, and his knowledge of the latest trends in the player development sphere will help to keep us on the forefront of this critical area,”

So basically, what Elias likes about him jives with what Daniels deems his best qualities. If you can read anything negative from the reassignment with the Rangers, it is that perhaps he had difficulty juggling the day-to-day of running the minor league system. Which makes him a good fit for the Orioles job since Kent Qualls is by all accounts excellent at managing minor league operations, freeing Blood to do what he does best, namely recruiting and hiring top development-minded coaches and implementing cutting-edge technologies for player development.

Good stuff right there.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, esmd said:

Also they've spelled "amateur" wrong twice in that photo. 

I imagine the differing perspectives even in this thread on whether a move from a Player Development to a Baseball Innovation title is a promotion or a demotion are also happening some in front offices too as old guard guys see if they can find new niches.  Technology is putting so many new ingredients on the shelf it probably feels like a constraint to the guys with Elias's job that you can only make one pot of season stew at a time.

11 hours ago, AZRon said:

Apparently, the Cardinals employed (employ?) an amateur spell checker version (or failed to employ one).
If so, it's one of the very few shortcomings I've noted with respect to that organization.

I noticed that as well.  They spelled analyst under Sig’s name wrong too.  How can you print mass publications like this and not see & correct these obvious errors before sending to print??  I wouldn’t be surprised if whoever’s job it was to spell check got fired for that, despite the fact that there’s a lot to proofread in a typical media guide.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They spent all their money on haxxors.

Ground Control to David Eckstein. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Win Column said:

This is shaping up to be a very interesting offseason.

In a great way, IMO. I do feel bad for the old guard, but love that Elias is bringing in an army of like-minded people AFTER seeing what we had in-house, and keeping some of them too.

• Upvote 1