Jump to content
Frobby

Who’s your pick for MVO?

Who’s your pick for MVO  

92 members have voted

  1. 1. Who’s your pick for MVO?



Recommended Posts

Nothing’s really going to change in the final 12 games, so before the media make their pick, who’ve you got for MVO?    

I’ve listed the players I consider to be the top three candidates in alphabetical order in the poll:

Trey Mancini - .279/.350/.523, 98 runs, 33 doubles, 33 homers, 84 RBI, 2.6 rWAR, 2.6 fWAR.

John Means - 10-11 record, 143 IP, 3.65 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 7.0 K/9, 3.2 K/BB, 4.1 rWAR, 2.8 fWAR.   O’s are 10-15 in his starts, 2-2 in his relief appearances.   

Jonathan Villar, .276/.342/.454, 101 runs, 31 doubles, 21 homers, 67 RBI, 35 SB, 8 CS, 3.8 rWAR, 3.7 fWAR.   Has played in every game this year.

WAR notwithstanding, I think there are good arguments for each player.   I don’t think anyone else is really in the running, but if you’re picking someone else, let’s hear about it.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Mancini had been playing solid 1B this year instead of questionable outfield it would be him no question IMO.

I still give him the nod as is FWIW.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A case can be made for him.    But it’s a hard argument.   

He has more WAR than Mancini,  Batting .314.Seems weird to exclude him when you only have 3 options.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, atomic said:

He has more WAR than Mancini,  Batting .314.Seems weird to exclude him when you only have 3 options.

To be honest, I didn’t check his WAR before making the poll.    But in any event, he’s at 3.1 rWAR (2.6 for Mancini), 2.0 fWAR (2.6).    I feel like if one is going to make a WAR-heavy argument, then Villar (3.8/3.7) and Means (4.1/2.8) clearly outpoint Alberto.    If you are not going to focus on WAR, Mancini has way more runs, way more RBI, way more homers, higher OBP, much higher SLG.     And he’s been more the everyday player.    Alberto would be my 4th choice, but a pretty distant 4th.   Of the 15 voters so far, nobody has chosen “other” (which would include Alberto).    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, survivedc said:

If Mancini had been playing solid 1B this year instead of questionable outfield it would be him no question IMO.

I still give him the nod as is FWIW.

I voted for Mancini and decided not to penalize him because the albatross of Chris Davis' contract is preventing him from playing 1B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

To be honest, I didn’t check his WAR before making the poll.    But in any event, he’s at 3.1 rWAR (2.6 for Mancini), 2.0 fWAR (2.6).    I feel like if one is going to make a WAR-heavy argument, then Villar (3.8/3.7) and Means (4.1/2.8) clearly outpoint Alberto.    If you are not going to focus on WAR, Mancini has way more runs, way more RBI, way more homers, higher OBP, much higher SLG.     And he’s been more the everyday player.    Alberto would be my 4th choice, but a pretty distant 4th.   Of the 15 voters so far, nobody has chosen “other” (which would include Alberto).    

I also wouldn't put Alberto at the top of the list, but think it should be added that his position versatility contributed a lot to this year's team.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Mancini hit his fourth home run in five games, a two-run shot to right field off Ryan Tepera in the first inning. Mancini has 34 homers on the season as he barrels toward the Most Valuable Oriole Award that’s going to be presented this weekend.

“(I’m just assuming that he’s won. I also assumed that he’d go to the All-Star Game, so always take my track record into consideration.)”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/mancinis-four-rbi-night-wasted-in-8-5-loss.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious Pick : Mancini

Alternate Pick: Givens, he has done more than any other Oriole to get high draft pick. No way that I would tender him a contract and watch him actually get a pay raise thru arbitration. Non tender him and than offer him a 1 year deal at maybe 2 million

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd go with Means.  I realize that the O's record in games that he started isn't all that great, but I think his value goes beyond that.  He was at least a guy that you could generally depend on to give you a good start save for a brief mid-season slump, and in a season where we're routinely starting waiver-wire pickups I don't think you can understate that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Serious Pick : Mancini

Alternate Pick: Givens, he has done more than any other Oriole to get high draft pick. No way that I would tender him a contract and watch him actually get a pay raise thru arbitration. Non tender him and than offer him a 1 year deal at maybe 2 million

Great to see you've found your new whipping boy, every season it's somebody new you need to tear down at every single turn the second they don't succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...